ad: portazero-1

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 Deep Dive & My Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Aug 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I attempt to answer your questions on the Lab599 Discovery TX-500...

Attached Files:

OLDARCHER, KI6TSF, KG5PFD and 7 others like this.
  2. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My take: more junk

wait for the IC705, now shipping - is gonna kill all these junk toy wanna be QRP radios.

KN4RA, K8ROC, KD2ANN and 3 others like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Or I could buy two junk toy wanna be QRP radios for the price of the 705.

KC9WUV, NO0DS, AJ6KZ and 5 others like this.
  4. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the follow up review. I still think it’s a nice looking radio. Hopefully when they come out with the ATU stack they will also integrate a battery pack that fits in the same frame. Instead of three separate added stacks.
    Problem for me is that the cost of the ATU pack and the radio will push it over 1k. I just don’t see it.

G3SEA likes this.
  5. VK6TY

VK6TY Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks for the latest review.
    One question what is it like on the AM BC band and will it go down to 470kc.

6. KD7WPJ

KD7WPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is unknown company. No address and contact information available. This means that you will not get any support if you will have any problems. It is overpriced product with unknown quality and reliability.

W4NNF, KB2SMS, N0YPD and 2 others like this.
  7. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

If the quality and reliability is unkown to you, how on earth can you state that it is overpriced?

OLDARCHER, VE3TLT, K8CGS and 3 others like this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

A real ham would build a battery pack and ATU matching this radio him/herself, right?

KF6JS, KC9WUV and K1LSB like this.
  9. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe by feature set?

K1LSB likes this.
  10. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Do they publish a frequency stability spec (ppm or Hz) ? I don't see it in the manual.

The Xiegu's are +/- 4.0 ppm, which makes them marginal for several digital modes.

I suspect the TX-400 would be decent - but it would be good to know. Thanks!

Jim, WQ2H

W5CJA likes this.
  11. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's your money.

Good radio not cheap. cheap radio not good

I want to see reviews that aren't infected with payola....

W4NNF likes this.
  12. W6LDX

W6LDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Josh, Thanks for a good review of the unit. I have questions. What are the reference oscillator's parameters?
    Is it a TCXO or a 5 ppm reference oscillator? I ask because some operators may need a stable frequency unit to do digital.
    You did not mention the frequency band width and I have not attempted to look up the specifications; does it operate on six meters?

Thank you & 73,

Thom Davis - W6LDX

13. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Here ya go. https://lab599.com/upload/TX500 User Manual (EN).pdf

OLDARCHER likes this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am on hold with these radios for a while. It took years for the Ft-817 to start this trend and its still the qrp rig to beat. Now we have everyone piling on in a big way and to be honest because its so popular the price point has climbed steadily. So far I am not to impressed with the offerings out there because portable ops is about communications not packing as many big rig features into ever smaller cabinets. This one gets you all excited because Its CNC machined aluminum yet for all that expense its not really water proof. The connectors are not standard and not even mil-spec unless your spetnaz. Your also dealing with an unknown company with a questionable supply chain. I will leave it for those who need bragging rights. In time the cream will rise to the surface and if I need one I will buy then.

DL7ACA, G3SEA and K9GLS like this.
  15. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know?