ad: M2Ant-1

How Do You POTA?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by NW9F, Jul 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NW9F

NW9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A quick video on what I bring with me to activate a park.

KK9W likes this.
  2. KB4HVO

KB4HVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, this is Robert KB4HVO I have heard a little bit about POTA. Can you please tell me what is POTA and how does it work. Is this only done at certain times of the year? If someone has already activated a park, can you come behind them and activate the park again? Sorry if I sound dumb but sounds like it may be fun if I can hit parks each week or so. Is there some kind of form that you must turn in to someone for credit?

3. NY2A

NY2A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Robert,

POTA's website is parksontheair.com, and has all sorts of information regarding the program. I started activating parks last year, and I really enjoy it. The activator (the person operating from the park) submits his log to a regional coordinator (listed on the above website). The chasers (those operating from any location other than a park) get credit based on the activator's log submission; chasers do not submit logs themselves.

It is done all year round and there is no limit to how many times a park can be activated. However, only state and national parks are eligible. Thus, you cannot just go activate your local playground, or county-run or municipal park. There is an interactive map and full list of the thousands of eligible parks on the web site. I took a look and it appears there are a number of eligible parks not too far from your QTH.

It's great to operate outdoors in nature and, if you enjoy building and experimenting with various antennas as I do, that makes it even more enjoyable.

Hope to hear you on the air (from a park or otherwise) sometime.

Tony

KC1OCA likes this.
  4. KB4HVO

KB4HVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info Tony, this sounds like something I would like to try. I'm not sure if I understand the job of the chaser. How many times can you use the chaser as a contact.

Thanks
    Robert
    KB4HVO

5. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video. Next one use a light near the camera shining towards you to illuminate your face and the items you are holding up. A clip-on mic would eliminate the hollow sound of the audio too. I have yet to do a POTA and can't seem to get any local hams to even take me along with them to watch.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I use a toilet

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. NY2A

NY2A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chaser contacts count once per park per day.

8. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend and I used a screened shelter in a state park once to activate a state park and also participate in a feld hell contest the same weekend. Lot of fun. We had a lot more camping gear then radio gear by far.

KK9W likes this.
  9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my truck cab as my shack. I can either mount a mobile HF vertical to the Breedlove mount in the bed of the truck or connect coax to it and run any other antenna I bring along. I have an LDG 100 Pro II mounted in the truck to keep the 891A happy if need be.

Attached Files:

NC7I likes this.
  10. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Park chasers are people at home that "collect" contacts with parks around the world ! You can work the same chaser any time you activate a park. There are Parks On The Air (POTA) awards for contacting the same park multiple times. Also for contacting different parks, starting at 10.

https://parksontheair.com/pota-awards/

And you can activate the same park as many times as you like, there's always someone out there that hasn't yet contacted the park you're at. It's fun, check out the POTA site for information:

https://parksontheair.com/

73 - Glenn AE0Q

11. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

once per mode, per band !
    You could "activate" a park (minimum 10 QSOs) with one other ham if you jump around bands and modes...
    n9rvb

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    KC1OCA and AE0Q like this.
  12. N9RVB

You also get credit for chasing or "hunting" other parks when you are at a park ... plus there are special "park to park" awards

AE0Q likes this.
  13. N9RVB

KB4HVO ,

POTA is a great program. I'm not into "rag chewing." Contesting is kinda fun for DX'ing and pushing the radio's limits, but I'm not a contestor. POTA has been a nitch that has gotten me excited about ham radio. I have fun both activating and hunting.

The activator (guy at the park) is responsible for submitting logs. Hunters don't have to do anything but make contact (once you register with the website).

The whole system was well designed to get people operating. There are awards not just for activating and hunting unique parks, but they have their own WAS, there are awards for activating/hunting parks and operators multiple times, park-to-park awards, "late shift" awards for 0000Z to 1200Z contacts (good for the after-work crowd), and more. Activators help the hunters, and hunters help the activators. The website "spots" and the Slack app help activators and hunters connect.

I've gotten to learn a bit more technically to support POTA as well, which is why I got into ham radio, to learn more about them... e.g. portable antennas and power, remote operating, etc. I am setting up a RaspberryPi as my computer for digital modes, controlled by my ipad.. so I'm dusting off some linux skills and learning new things. I'm also working on learning CW, and POTA hunting has been a good place to get my feet wet with that mode.

POTA has a good community of operators, including a friendly, helpful facebook group, and a well-done website full of info, how-to's and FAQs.

Give it a try!

I only have 5 activations in so far ... working man with young kids and other hobbies. It adds a fun element to our camping trips. I'm approaching 500 unique hunted parks.

-n9rvb

KN4EQG and AE0Q like this.
  14. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Robert and the other POTA folks. There is another program that has been around for a few decades called WWFF, World Wide Flora and Fauna, many Europeans are part of that program and they are avid park hunters. It is like POTA, you operate from a park entity and work people at home or at another park. They also have awards and a web site, and also Facebook page for spotting and exchanging info, etc.

http://wwff.co/

If you sign up on the POTA site be sure to also sign up with the WWFF group, too !!

Glenn AE0Q

W6LEN and N9RVB like this.
  15. W6LEN

W6LEN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is another park program that you might want to try.
    [​IMG]

WWFF, World Wide Flora and Fauna in Amateur Radio, is encouraging to leave your shack and go outside portable operating in Protected Flora@Fauna areas (PFF) all over the world.

Welcome to KFF, the home of World Wide Flora and Fauna (WWFF) in the United States. Our program wishes to draw attention to the importance of protecting nature, flora, and fauna by encouraging radio amateurs to “Make Nature Your Shack”. Through the WWFF we are in partnership with more than 50 countries around the world.

One of the best ways to keep up with happenings at KFF is through our FaceBook group (WWFF-KFF) where our members post news and spots of Activations. You can also post questions or other matters related to amateur radio.

If you are new, take a look at the Rules/FAQ page to help get you started.

Questions/comments can be mailed to n9mm@arrl.net