ad: Schulman-1

#76 How I Solder in 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Some joke about putting your shoes on before running away as the bear invades your camp... I'm completely self taught and even I can make this stuff work.

R2DYM, K4FMH, 2E0TWD and 4 others like this.
  2. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously? Sheesh! This is definitely NOT front page ham radio NEWS, and should be relegated to a forum dedicated to novice education. Gee, almost as exciting as seeing big resistors in a dummy load. OF course this is just MY take - your mileage may vary - yet I grow weary of so many self-appointed narcissists extolling the obvious, presuming so many others are completely ignorant of the most basic matters. Maybe he can follow up with a video of how to connect the power supply, or possibly about how to hold the microphone.

I am NOT dissing the man, nor criticizing the video per se ... just suggesting a tutorial on how to solder is NOT front page NEWS, and should be relegated elsewhere. K8JHR

KD5RJZ, KG7HVR, KR3DX and 5 others like this.
  3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh boy.... DO NOT BEND COMPONENT WIRES FLAT AGAINS THE PCB!!

You'll have a hard time getting the components out again when you need to repair something and it can create unwanted shorts to neighbouring pads. You are also using more solder than necessary this way, causing bulges of solder on a pad.The surface shape of a solder joint should always be concave, never convex.

If you take a resistor out of the tape, don't bend the wires at 90 degrees but, say, 80. If you then insert the resistor, there will be enough spring action in the wires to keep them in place when you turn the board over. You can bend wires of the other components in such a way that they have the same spring action when inserted. This way, the wires stick out reasonably perpendicular on the other side of the PCB, ensuring a proper solder joint with a concave surface using just right amount of solder. It also keeps soldering time low. If done correctly, you'll be able to solder a joint within 1-2 seconds.

KD5RJZ, W4CDO, K8BUD and 4 others like this.
  4. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe that is how it is done int 2020. I still solder the same way since the 1970's. I have been through every Pace certification course from component to multi-level-PCB repair (that is fun if you like to live looking through a microscope). These two videos are worth watching for novices. Older but still good.

As far as bending component leads over, that is a personal preference IMO. I have had no more difficulty removing components with bent over lead as ones that do not.

Solder for inspectability, that was one thing that was drilled into our heads.

KD5RJZ, KB1ASM, KG7HVR and 5 others like this.
  5. KI5AAI

6. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At a time when so many new people are joining the hobby (Uk Stats) this is a great tutorial video. Thank you as always for taking time to document this process for them. It seems some people didn’t find it interesting or useful, that’s ok it’s not who it was aimed at. No idea why they waste their time commenting though.

W2CPD, K8RHH, VU3DRU and 6 others like this.
  7. 2E0TWD

Those Videos were very interesting, thank you.

N6SPP, VE3GCX and KI5AAI like this.
  8. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

While the videos from this fellow and his daughters are quite good, I tend to agree that they aren't necessarily news.

MODERATORS: How about moving these videos (and those like them, like showing a station assembly, an "unboxing," etc.) to an appropriate forum? Let's keep "news" actual news. It would make it easier to keep up with actual newsworthy ham radio posts. Please.

KD5RJZ, KR3DX, K8JHR and 4 others like this.
  9. NB4R

NB4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the Pace videos. Is there an area in the forum where more videos of this type can be found?

KD5RJZ likes this.
  10. W0DGH

W0DGH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly I have worked with several 'certified' electronic technicians that have horrendous soldering skills and these videos would be of great help to them.

One technician I knew had a bad case of shaky hands because of minor nerve damage. He did some of the most flawless soldering I have ever seen. If he can do that anybody can.

KM9G and (deleted member) like this.
  11. KI5AAI

The lead Pace instructor in the 1990's could not hold his hands steady for maybe 3 seconds at a time. But that was all he needed to make the perfect solder joints!

And, being a certified tech might mean you know electronics, but soldering is actually, IMO, a skill.

12. W1KRI

W1KRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, this hobby still has not aged quite right. QRZ.com has a great landing page ! Love the variety, and we must appeal to all Hams, Techs, Generals, Extra. Especially the young, who we must find a way to bring into the hobby. The QRZ site has a featured member, trivia box, On-line swap meet, etc all on the front page. KM9G has been doing an amazing job bringing youth into the hobby with his great videos. If you look carefully each box is labeled NEWS,POCAST,ETC. If all you want is news click the correct box and move on. Most new Hams have never seen soldering ! They did not build radios, or make their own coils and crystals. Come on now...we needs to adapt to 2020. Show some love for those adding to the hobby!

KE8NFK, KM9G, KI5AAI and 2 others like this.
  13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen.

We had a couple of women doing through hole PCB rework at a local manufacturing shop. They didn't know a thing about electronics, but their soldering was flawless. At the time I was a longtime CET with 20-plus years in component level diagnosis and service trade, yet I learned a thing or three from those women.

Want to have some fun? Give an engineer something to fix. Then sit back and enjoy the show.

As for placement or categorization of the video on this site, don't complain to the OP. Instead, contact the site owner or a moderator.

KI5AAI, KR3DX, KM9G and 2 others like this.
  14. 2E0TWD

Thank you.

KM9G likes this.
  15. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Never in my life I have used an abrasive stick to remove any oxides from component leads or PCB's. Neither have I ever used solvents t0 clean the board pre- soldering. The resin inside the solder wire takes care of this.
    And I am 100% sure I saw no one rub the wires of leaded components with an abrasive stick when the inserter machines I have whitnessed in action, took the components from the reels to insert them in boards at dazzling speeds.

KG7HVR and 2E0TWD like this.