ad: MLSons-1

Australia introduces amateur callsigns for life

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3YE, Jul 29, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not used more than 30w in the last 2 years. 10w is plenty of power.

F8WBD likes this.
  2. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

I like that idea.

3. W5CMP

W5CMP Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8/CQCQCQ/INTERNET, o_Oo_Oo_O

4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

CW/CQCQCQ/FUDDS

5. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

You see what works fine. When it's not, you'll likely not notice on your end. Not all call-signs work with JT/FT modes. I use slanted calls often and had to play with them to get them all to send properly. It's a limitation of the mode more than it is the software.

6. VK4HAT

Its not about seeing what works fine, in my experience it works fine also, if you know how to do it. I have operated special event call signs like vk4anzac on ft8 and quite a few times have been portable for wwff using ft8 vk4hat/p. Its not ideal, but its not impossible either.

7. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmmm ....

Lots of Good in the concept ... But also lots of chaos... and expense.

The AMC is reported via the AR grapevine to be backlogged with requests for call changes (200 is the word on the street) ... that be $25 - next available call- or $35 if choose your own call. There will be quite a number of Standard and Foundation-class Amateurs that will be requesting same calls ... That means contact ... time ... delays.

Oh, on that front do people requesting calls realise that the ACMA will charge $51 if upgrading from precious calls or $80 of they keep their old call + new license fee of $55 ?

I believe that processing of such requests may be further delayed as there are no process at ACMA nor AMC to handle this... So someone with say a STANDARD call on The ACMA RADCOM database can have that upgraded to Advanced as there are now no callsign block rules ... So where are processes for that? They need to be created. What is the charge for that? Where is the process for this? Have assessment papers also been adjusted yet?

[ So those of us that are performing face-to-face or remote assessments and keeping numbers ticking over will have these delayed considerably. ]

Then there is the nutty Amateurs that will make constant reports re calls that are suspected of operating outside their conditions ... i.e. Some unqualified-for-certain-frequency licenses will be tempted to use 20m and or the WARC bands. The nutty amongst us will be watching - checking calls on the RADCOM database ... and will be reporting those abusing priveliges... I have already raised the matter with Senior ACMA people months back and it has not been responded to. Field Ops do not have the resources to monitor every call nor investigate every complaint as they have been cut beyond the bone !

Where is the process for regulation? The ACMA have made a rod for their own back !

Well done ACMA (as always) by just releasing information without setting a start date (as always) so that processes and resources can be in place !!!!

The expense issue and "user pays" rather than "community benefit" issue has yet to be addressed by those representing us to the ACMA. This damage was done HEAVILY by the first contractor - The WIA - when they fell for the "user pays" trap. Do not believe the argument put that "we had to charge as we were told to charge" ... One has to pay for staff to do jobs !

Its well and good for user pays ... yet not all of us have huge bank accounts like those of the past that were representing us "at court".

8. ZL1API

ZL1API Ham Member QRZ Page

We have had this system in ZL for a number of years no change of call when you move around. We only 1 class of license you either pass or you dont.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. in the USA I think that they should not allow people to pick vanity call signs that reflect a different state # than the number would indicate. the problem now is somebody could have a 6 call or a 0 call and be anywhere in the United States.
    Pick whatever you want but if your in CA you should have a 6 and if your in Arizona you should have a 7. And a 5 for Texas . What happened to logic?

W4LJ likes this.
  10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Where's the logic in enforcing call signs based on location? It was logical in the past to allow each regional FCC office to act relatively independently in the issuance of call signs. This was necessary when license applications were processed by hand in the days before computers and the internet. Since all licenses are processed in a single database there's no need to vigorously enforce this. I can suspect that there is some value in maintaining the call sign system of the past, such as allowing the computers to process the applications in parallel with less concern on conflicts in the call signs. Even then it might just be out of tradition than any practical matter.

With the ability to look up a call sign so easily and quickly today there's no real need to enforce the call signs by location. Especially since the lines are somewhat arbitrary and the zones so large that the call sign doesn't say much about location even if they were enforced.

N0TZU, KG7HVR and K2NCC like this.
  11. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bram,

There has been a huge push here from VE Examiners here in VK (including the formation of a new Club based around VE examiners and subsequent assessments) to sign up as many Amateurs as is possible for USA Amateur Licenses. Its only $US20 per US paper (3) and you can do as many as you like in the one day.

Many VK Amateurs have availed themselves of the opportunity to take out the highly sought after US "vanity calls".

The thing is you folks in the USA have a system that values what Amateurs do. We have a user-pays system and common belief that unless we pay we get no service (which is unconstitutional) here in VK where bureaucrats only value $$$ coming in - hence our MASSIVE and exorbitant fees that we pay just for taking assessments.

One of the saddest things that I have had to do is assist Amateurs who cannot afford to remain in AR. I have on occasion dipped into my own pocket to help keep some people on air (and I am not of means myself). Our people representing us here mostly are of means themselves and cannot see that the escalating costs of AR here in VK is actually a ploy to kill AR so that our spectrum (esp. 2m) can be sold off !

The US is the land of user pays; yet the USA sees the benefit of AR as a driver of STEM - Science, Technology, Maths and Engineering. Here all our Government is interested in is dollars, banking and finance. The COVID-19 pandemic has raised some eyes on this front, though ! That is why we pay through the nose.

Its time that costs were addressed and the real value of AR is advertised. Yet we fight viciously with each other; many in our community see "gains" that our rep bodies are pushing as divisive; losses are justified (i.e. in the 3GHz band of late) by our rep bodies... This questions the general credibility and capabilities of of our rep bodies in our community.... Likewise the "secret men's business" (i.e. its taken until today to know who the WIA office bearers are when it was decided last Saturday).

Steve I
    VK3VM / VK3SIR

12. KB1MM

KB1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ralph,

my novice and general call was KA1KOB. I got it 1983. Now a grandfathered advanced class KB1MM which I’ve had since 1986. Probably should take my extra....maybe after I retire in a year or so.

13. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Im sorry to hear that Steve. Its unfortunate. Im surprised that they havent done anything crazy here. I should be greatful. I wish there was something we could all do as hams to improve things world wide for each other. On a positive note the bands are on fire. 40m and 20 even 17. Im hearing vk and zl on 20m and its dark here in Arizona.
    Bram
    Kg7hvr

14. VK4HAT

Yeah dont believe the hype, the boy who cried wolf was also proven wrong. There is nothing nefarious happening down here, its all the imagining of those who are irrelevant and marginalized. The overwhelming majority of VK hams not only supported these changes, they welcome seeing them and other fcall changes being implemented.

15. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I want a VK call!