ad: MLSons-1

CQ or Pounce: An FT8 Experiment!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Jul 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes... I am working on it as we speak, don't worry it was bugging me to!:)

DE2RVK likes this.
  2. KI5CPQ

KI5CPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video! Is it common to have rag chew on digital mode? If so what modes? Thanks for the download. Keep it up! 73 Mike KI5CPQ

DE2RVK likes this.
  3. WR7AY

WR7AY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JS8 Call or PSK-31 can be quite useful for keyboard to keyboard QSO's. Both digital and both can work decently down into the local noise.

DE2RVK likes this.
  4. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the fun Yutube Video.
    We will support you from Japan.
    Thank you for your continued support (^-^)ゝ

JF1IRQ

WA6MHZ, ZL1KFM and DE2RVK like this.
  5. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally agree!
    In my country, OMs pay little attention to youtube as a way to reach the hearts of young people. Youtube + SDR + Raspberry and the right amount of wiser people can make the difference today. Only in this way can we enter schools not as perfect strangers. Thanks Steve and Leah, now I wish you good night, it's late here ;)

KM9G, KD9LFZ and DE2RVK like this.
  6. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As someone who does a lot of FT8 with compromise antennas I have often wondered what truly works best. Like you I find that I get about the same results either way, there are certainly those who do come back to me when I am calling CQ but then are never able to get my exchange and then there are those times when I am hunting and pouncing and no one can hear me. I did enjoy the video, I was not aware of GridTracker and just downloaded, I too like the sound it makes, sort of like the sounds they have on slot machines that make people want to gamble more.

Is FT8 contesting going to be a new Twitch streaming event? Seriously though, it is the chase that I think is going to attract more youth, such as the grid chase and the POTA activities. I will certainly be watching for you and your dad on the waterfall. If you like the competitive side and making a lot of contacts, look into RTTY contesting (https://www.rttycontesting.com/). Also the WW Digi contest is the end of August, a fun weekend event where you would be sure to make tons of contacts around the globe on FT8/FT4. https://ww-digi.com/.

DE2RVK likes this.
  7. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

This was fun to watch. I just might try FT8. I've been A ham since 1978 and stayed away from digital. If it looks fun it's worth A try. Just sayin... Dave

DE2RVK likes this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not FB or Youtube that mirror the video, it's the phone being used to shoot the video in selfie-mode, using the front camera of the phone.

DE2RVK likes this.
  9. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Leah, your enthousiasm and spirit is very inspiring, if not addictive! Keep up the good work and hopefully other youngsters will realize there's more to life than (a-)social media!

DE2RVK and KD9LFZ like this.
  10. KD9LFZ

I have not done that much with digital modes, I was actually wondering the same thing.:)

DE2RVK likes this.
  11. KD9LFZ

I never thought of twitch streaming contesting, but that is actually a really great idea. Maybe sometime in the future I will make that a thing! I will definitely look into rtty contesting and WW Digi contest! Thanks for the support.

NN6U likes this.
  12. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KD9LFZ likes this.
  13. WM4RT

WM4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video. If you camera has mirror selection. You need to select that next time. You Tee shirt writing was backward to to the viewers. Keep up the good videos.
    Rodney - WM4RT

KD9LFZ likes this.
  14. YO7CKQ

YO7CKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice! Congrats
    73 Sorin

KD9LFZ likes this.
  15. WC9D

WC9D Ham Member QRZ Page