ad: Radclub22-1

CQ or Pounce: An FT8 Experiment!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Jul 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Which way is more efficient for getting the most grid squares or contacts? Which way is more fun? Watch to learn the answers to all of these questions, plus my super scientific experiment!!!

NN6U, SQ9LPO, K8BPZ and 22 others like this.
  2. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is that handsome feller?

KE5OA, KC6ESW, G0SDG and 6 others like this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like someone must have got a deal on some factory 'seconds' tee shirts! ;)

K3FHP, VE3GCX, N4FZ and 5 others like this.
  4. DE2RVK

DE2RVK Ham Member QRZ Page

wow top video information for radio amateurs and short wave listeners thank you great work 73 de DE2TRF

KD9LFZ likes this.
  5. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL should immediately hire Leah, ( KD9LFZ) & Father as the Business Development & Marketing Director and the scope of work should target private schools and setting up "Show and Tell" for Ham radio. I am very serious..Having a young bright Ham Operator (Leah / KD9LFZ) with her true enthusiasm will radiate well with younger children. Leah can relate with young kids.

FYI One: I had several interviews for the job CEO for ARRL, although we could not come to an agreement, if I was CEO, I would definitely offered a position to Leah / Father (At least part time),

Leah (KD9LFZ) is what Ham radio desperately needs. Average age for Ham operators in the USA is 55. A few more decades and we will be hearing more CQ calls from the graves than on the bands.

FYI Two: I tried promoting at public schools, in general the public schools to bureaucratic and highly regulated when compared to private schools. I found when I was promoting Ham Radio through public schools, you had to know someone that was empowered, whereas the private school, you can walk right up to the front door, and be well received. At least this is my experiences.

ARRL, I don't know if they are listening, (I hope so) they need to do something like this (As well is their other responsibilities)

Cheers

NN2X/ Tom

KB0OYZ, KF4ZKU, N4THC and 14 others like this.
  6. K4RLW

K4RLW Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent video, and I second NN2X's comments that ARRL should hire them! What a delightful bundle of energy and positivity Leah is :).

N4THC, N4FZ, DE2RVK and 2 others like this.
  7. WR7AY

WR7AY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm. During some of Field Day I was clearing about 33 contacts an hour on FT-8. I was in pounce mode. CQ mode did not hold up as well during that 27 hours. That worked IF folks were there and IF the band conditions held up and IF folks were not stuck on top of each other. That seems to happen when 2 or more folks start transmitting within a few hertz of each other. Makes it hard for them to hear...
    Good video.
    Yes and double yes for NN2X's comments!!!!

KF4ZKU, N4FZ, DE2RVK and 2 others like this.
  8. KI5HNX

KI5HNX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, yes, yes!!!

This is what the hobby needs more of, a lot more!!! Thanks to Leah for stepping up to the plate!

Also, many thanks to her "OM", KM9G, for encouraging her and inspiring her with his YouTube channel, for getting her and KD9POK involved and interested in Amateur Radio.

Ham radio needs MORE youth and MORE energy and more old hams who act like kids!!! That is what is going to bring curious future hams through the door.

I agree completely with NN2X, a nationwide message is needed. The only thing I would add is that because kids today are online, that's where the message needs to be. They need to hear how EASY it is to get your license and how you can get into radio for very little cost.

Most are on YouTube, so more videos from young hams such as these from KD9LFZ and KD9POK will certainly inspire others to check out the hobby and its many facets. CW, DX, Digital, Space, etc..., when they find out what's available, they'll want to know more.

When they see how much fun they can have by getting out to a park trail or mountain top for POTA/SOTA, or DX, they'll be hooked!

Keep up the awesome work (I know it's not work, it's fun!) and continue to inspire others to get off the couch, out the door and on the air!!!

KI5HNX/Todd

KB0OYZ, KF4ZKU, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  9. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Quite outstanding!
    That the people we need to come in touch with young people!
    Watched the POTA Video with my doughter DO4QB also!

Carry on Leah!!!

73 Andre!

DE2RVK likes this.
  10. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

nice to see a good video featuring ft8 and the dx commander vertical, just a couple of tips for you as a avid ft8/ft4 user with 12 k plus contacts, i am using a ic 7610 with my dx commander vertical, i have configured mine with the 80m inv L ( minus the 30m wire and replace with 19 m 10 cm ish of wire as the inv L for 80m), as for the search and pounce versus call cq ,from personal experience running a special event callsign, i tend to sit @ 2000 Hz on the waterfall and call cq, and that does seem to work on 20/40m (with a special event callsign), as for normal operation i find if the screen appears blank call cq for about 10/15 mins and you will be picked up on the clusters and you will get replies , or if there is a dx station call them either or they both work as well in normal, contests/special event stations are a different animal, ps see how the dx commander works with the 80m inv L (you might be surprised) last night i achieved most of South America and South Africa on 80m FT8 from IO84FQ 73s de Kevin G2KS

DE2RVK likes this.
  11. ZL1KFM

ZL1KFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great and informative video. Keep up the good work, and promoting Amateur Radio.
    Just one question, is there any way you can resolve the reverse video? Don't know why FB and YouTube do this at times.
    Regards Kevin ZL1KFM.

DE2RVK likes this.
  12. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

as a footnote to my previous comment ,drop your power slider on the right hand side to about 75% ,and open your rf gain up so your in the green to about 70 db on the left hand side, and when your calling cq ,as soon as your 73 qso is sent restart tx ,it will improve your hit rate :) (that way there is no gaps or part tx of your first cq restart

DE2RVK and KD9LFZ like this.
  13. KD9LFZ

Thanks you so much for taking the time to write a message to me this thoughtful! At first I hesitated in making a Youtube channel because I wasn't sure if anyone would even watch or care. I really appreciate the support and all the love from not only you but also the community in general. It means a lot to me that you Think so highly of me as an amateur and as a creator! Thank you for making my day! 73

WA6MHZ, PA0MHS, VU3DRU and 3 others like this.
  14. KD9LFZ

Thank you so much for the amazing message. I completely agree with getting more kids involved and having fun! I really appreciate not only my dad but also all the hams I have never even met like you who are supporting me and encouraging me to make more content. Just so you know the smile on my face in the video I am filming right now for next week is from you and all the other hams on here! 73

KI5HNX, DE2RVK and WR2E like this.
  15. KD9LFZ

That is really impressive, Thanks for all the tips!

DE2RVK likes this.