ad: Sussex-1

Lab-599 Discovery TX-500 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NY6P

NY6P Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus with that screen real estate it doesn't really cut it as a portable station, unless your power source is big and bulky. But as a home/car QRP rig and maybe as an emergency 'when all else fails' type rig that can run off a car battery, it has it's selling points.

2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever look through an INTES or TEC Maksutov?

WD4IGX and WW2PT like this.
  3. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a list of questions that I will be covering in a follow up video. One of the questions is where will the repair/support facility be. I am told it will be in Reno Nevada. So unlike the Xiegu radios that end up going back to China, these will remain stateside.

N4MMI likes this.
  4. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no idea what that is so I would have to say "no"

5. KF2YD

KF2YD Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a really solid built radio. Its too bad that there is no built in antenna tuner.

N4MMI likes this.
  6. VK6TY

VK6TY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much for your review, I look forward to your
    In-depth review .
    I think it’s great that companies can still see a market in AR
    I think Purchasing a new transceiver is different for everybody we all have different requirements and ideas of what a good transceiver should be like. What I have seen and read so far I think this little transceiver will be just great for my applications I’m not worried about not having an ATU and I’m not concerned about not to not having a battery pack internally. I think back to the old days where just to have a radio with short wave was a real bonus now we expected it to have absolutely everything at a price we could never build one ourselves for.

I am looking forward to receiving mine and I’m sure I will have a lot of fun and pleasure using it with a good Mag Loop out in the field down under.
    John
    VK6TY

N4MMI and WB4NQF like this.
  7. VK6TY

VK6TY Ham Member QRZ Page

How long before we get a full review.?

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

the 705 is expected to sell for over $1000 USD. If you could share the dealer name selling these for $400. - I'd love to place an order for 2 each....

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He didn't write it would be $400. He wrote "+$400" which means about $400 more.

And it may be more than that. I see HRO is taking reservations with the announcement the price would be "under $1500" but they don't actually give a price.

WD4IGX and KL7KN like this.
  10. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm waiting for the FT-867 (100w pa,hf/6/2/440,all mode)

11. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've run those power levels. It's a HUGE difference in practice, and I don't care (though I do know) what the math says.

In practice a small difference at those levels often makes the difference between being heard or not. Once you're heard clearly then an additional small difference makes only, well, a small difference. So a numerically small difference can still be an operationally HUGE difference, if it MAKES all the difference.

12. WD4IGX

Ok - admittedly I'm behind the times in that I've never used any SDR. So I take your word on that.

The rest is pretty much what I'm saying. A small difference that makes THE difference is, operationally, a BIG difference. ;)

13. WA2EIO

WA2EIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great for portable use, except for most portable operation you will: Need an antenna tuner. Need a special cable to connect a key/paddle. Need a special cable to connect a headset if you don't want to carry the mic./speaker unit with you. Need a special cable if you plan on using computer/sound card modes.

14. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Real hams fabricate those cables themselves.

WD4IGX likes this.
  15. WD4IGX

It's not the getting them or fabricating them, it's the rat's nest of extra cables! Doens't matter if you make them or buy them, it's still too many cables to carry around when most of them wouldn't be needed if the design were a bit different.

W5CJA, AJ6KZ, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.