ad: elecraft

Morse Code NATO Alphabet Chart at Hobby Lobby

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W0PV, Jun 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Now and then my DL-YL Marion, aka "The Artist", drags me into Hobby Lobby for supplies. I like to tease her and the staff that what we want might be found next to the artifacts looted from the Middle East. :rolleyes:

However the other day this item with an amateur radio theme caught my eye and thought y'all might find it interesting too (or at least the description). Sure wish they had a RadioShack Express in the store like HobbyTown does too!

Morse Code Alphabet Chart Wall Decor

If you grew up in a military family, you know the lingo by heart. Morse Code Alphabet Chart Wall Decor features the NATO phonetic alphabet - the twenty-six code words assigned to each letter of the English alphabet - as well as their Morse code counterparts, printed in white font across a gray canvas.

The canvas is stretched between two wooden dowels that boast a black color, and a rope is adorned to the top so you can hang it along your wall.

$21.99
    Brand: Designs Direct Creative Group
    SKU: 1811280
    Details:
    Length: 23 1/2"
    Width: 10 3/4"
    Thickness: 1"
    Orientation: Vertical
    Includes: 1 - Rope

[​IMG]

W3ATV, K4MID, KA5ETX and 8 others like this.
  2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I want one.

3. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

The HL folks have some nice wooden boxes to hold your para-set.

5. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely interesting! I can already appreciate how valuable this item will be in the right hands.

6. W7MS

W7MS Ham Member QRZ Page

Reviewers of this product have noted that F is incorrectly represented as a U in Morse Code..........

7. W6ZD

W6ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KB1RVU

KB1RVU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct me if I am wrong, but the code for the letter F does not look right.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No, the "F" is correct.

But other than being a nice radio room decoration, I don't really see the point. Morse is an aural language much more so than a visual one [queue the semaphore/signal light crowd to chime in and tell me how wrong I am ;)]

Whenever I see Morse "written" I have to whistle what I see so I can hear it. I copy CW at up to 30-40 WPM (depending on context) with my ears - but reading one sentence written out would take quite some time.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. W2EFM

W2EFM Ham Member QRZ Page

What, no "Sugar"?

11. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

As of this morning, it's on sale... "50% off Canvas Art" so $10.99.

According to the three reviews, it did have the incorrect code for F, but was fixed.

I think it's a nice idea to show visitors or family if they ask about the phonetics used.

Can you whistle 30-40 WPM ?? :p
    I haven't learned CW yet. Have tried some apps on the phone and a short
    session with some suggested websites. Of course, it takes practice everyday
    as I am told. ;)

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I can whistle 30 yes. No faster via "whistling" though. I can't send much faster than 40 on paddles - not that it matters much except in big contests with simpler exchanges. Sure - I could program my contest keyer to send faster than that but why? I mean if I can't copy the reply, what's the point?

My comfort zone for ragchew is about 24-26, normal contesting 26-35 or so - and for big contests, again with simpler exchanges like NAQP etc., I can do over 40 although I don't much prefer it. To me, it's "work" at that point, and takes a few passes to get the copy correct. Not fun.

Dave
    W7UUU

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Some have pointed out the comments that the "F" character in Morse was at one time in error, but apparently has been corrected. The one I saw in the store was properly coded.

HOWEVER, there is another issue that I am surprised no one has mentioned yet. The spelling of the phoentic words used for the letters "A" and "J" does not correspond to the official NATO (or ICAO) standard which is,

A = Alfa
    J = Juliett

This apparent mispelling in the official list was intentional, to avoid mispronounciation by non-English first language speakers. See the explanation below from the wikipedia on NATO phonetics,

Strict adherence to the prescribed spelling words—including the apparently misspelled "Alfa" and "Juliett"—is required in order to avoid the problems of confusion that the spelling alphabet is designed to overcome. A 1955 NATO memo stated that:

It is known that [the ICAO spelling alphabet] has been prepared only after the most exhaustive tests on a scientific basis by several nations. One of the firmest conclusions reached was that it was not practical to make an isolated change to clear confusion between one pair of letters. To change one word involves reconsideration of the whole alphabet to ensure that the change proposed to clear one confusion does not itself introduce others.[2]

I still consider the wall hanging a potential worthy piece of decor and a clever conversation starter.

73, John, WØPV

W7UUU likes this.
  14. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

And there's nothing wrong with that. Using dots and dashes IMHO is the best way to represent it on paper. To me, it's absolutely incomprehensible to see something written like dahdidahdit dahdahdidah, even though that's supposedly the "right" way.

15. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

The picture on the website is correct. It's possible they "fixed" it, but it's more likely that the first reviewer was simply wrong. The second reviewer just said that they weren't buying one if it was wrong. The third reviewer said it was fixed, but I doubt if they ever saw an incorrect one.