ad: elecraft

The j-pole antenna is fixed...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KX4O, Jul 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi... I appreciate the discussion of this, the aspect of how the combinations of normal ideas in a novel way, relates to it's patent-ability was thought provoking. I do have a question though. If the lower stud is tuned to decouple the antenna from the feed-line (which is also the mast based on diagrams of it) what exactly is the purpose of the upper stud. The tuning could be done just by properly measuring the distance from where the lower stub is connected, to the top of the antenna. Unless the upper stud is just used to shorten the antenna?

Thanks
    Joel

2. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The upper stud and a similar length of tube that ends up as radiator is an impedance transformer from 50Ohm to a very high impedance This feeds the upper 1/2 wave part of the antenna, the radiator, as an end-fed dipole.

KX4O and W1YW like this.
  3. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip I do believe you missed the ultimate opportunity to hang around a bit, then take Ole' "Dean Yeager" out for lunch, at least three martinis worth. Make his millennia.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean 'Dean Wormer'? :)?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4DAC6714042A0C7DA8E74DAC6714042A0&FORM=VDQVAP

Although I am sympathetic to those with a drinking problem, I try to stay away from them when they have to manifest decisions.

As I get older, and without being cynical, I am often surprised that so much gets done, given the 'weakest link' of some --not all--'key' players being alcohol or drugs. I've seen a huge increase in alcoholism in my peers in the last decade:-( Looks like a disease of the young and then the old..

Incidentally, that dean had an alcohol fueled fight with his wife and the cops had to intervene. There may have been more than one--but the one I know about hit the papers.

I saw a LOT of that 'self-medication' (in others) in the music business in the 80's- with tragic results. Although impeded, I avoided being tragic. Good survival skills....

WA3FET has a standing joke that I can never finish more than a 1/4 of a beer, on the rare occassions when I drink at all. That's me. Others may vary...I mean have a varying opinion on intake ;-)

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    NL7W likes this.
  5. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm wondering how that is non-obvious, and is simply replicating a lot of prior art. Novices in the US Patent and Trademark Office, I guess.

KX4O likes this.
  6. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

An astute observer would look at the patent and also the prior art. The planet is full of prior art, but putting prior art together in a novel way can be patented.

The frivolity of software patents and ensuing litigation have given patents a bad name. All this said, your slime of the US Patent Office is unwarranted in this regard.

WJ4U and N0TZU like this.
  7. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One defense against obviousness, especially so in this particular instance, is the eight decades this, apparently novel, solution never appeared. Believe me, I long pondered this. Best I can come up with is the J antenna's issues became so clouded by mythos, few ever bothered to look for a solution.

N0TZU likes this.
  8. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I never really thought the Jpole was all that broken.....at least all the ones I have built never ripped a hole in the space-time continuum with common mode current. More experimentation and research is always cool though.

W6SAE likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The young USPTO examiners often make errors, which can be astutely corrected by experienced inventors and attorneys.

My patience grows thin on patent matters as I get older. Fortunately, I am at the age of 'make special' (I couldn;t make this up!) which gets inventors over 65 a time break .

John is free and clear as far as I can tell. He did his homework.

MO.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fractal antennas could have been made, as elements, over 70 years ago..but weren't..I too pondered why 'someone else hadn't done it'.

Most inventors go through that stage.

It's a myth of society that technologies get accepted as soon as conceived. And conception often sits and sits and sits, waiting for someone either foolish enough, smart enough, or naive enough, to present it. Sometimes all three!

Chip W1YW

K8XG and NL7W like this.
  11. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC modern struts and disc brakes go back to the 1930's but I guess no one saw the need

K8XG likes this.
  12. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well that was much ado about nothing. Imagine that...... patents on a piece of water pipe that radiates. How will I get back my time wasted?

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

n8zi---

8s f8r 8s I 8m concerned , h8rdly 8 w8ste of 8nyone's time.

8m8zing th8t you would 8tt8ck th8t effort.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    WR2E and KM4WRQ like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again:

Making assertions about alleged prior art , that undermine John's effort, require evidence.

Failure by some post-ers here to cite it (after I explained claims and 'obviousness' concerns), only indicates, IMO, laziness and ignorance and jealousy of someone else who works hard. came up with something new and useful, and paid the price to bring it forward.

It is one of our particularly flagrant detriments, today, of the amateur radio service, IMO. It would be hard to imagine such an anti-technology stance , say, 50 years ago, amongst hams.

There are thousands of inventors who are hams. The reason you don't hear much about it is the dissing you are seeing here. Many feel that if you stick out a finger that you will lose your arm.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    KX4O, K8XG, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

n8zi sed:

I think its peachy keen that the FBI saw the value in John's efforts and funded through the patent.

Good guys down there in Virginia, doncha think?

Chip W1YW

KX4O, K8XG and N0TZU like this.