ad: M2Ant-1

The j-pole antenna is fixed...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KX4O, Jul 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

…or invalidated depending on your point of view. Presenting the...

[​IMG]

Two new patents address shortcomings of the 84 or more year old traditional J antenna design. This effort features the following highlights.
    • The research includes extensive J antenna myth busting, validating the concerns trumpeted by many over the years, using method of moments and finite-difference time-domain simulation techniques confirmed by real antenna chamber measurements.
    • The utility patent voluntarily catalogs and reviews many published papers and related patents.
    • The addition of a mast decoupling stub mitigates the propensity of the J antenna to energize a conductive mast. No more does the J antenna require an ideal length of conductive mast to perform correctly.
    • The parallel nature of the mast decoupling stub maintains the slender nature of the J antenna.
    • Internalizing the feed line of hollow pipe J antennas eliminates the traditional, but famously awkward, external feed line dressing. Additionally this internal feed approach performs double duty by naturally decoupling the feed line from the antenna.
    • The improvements maintain the J antenna's notable direct electrical connection through robust antenna conductors to the mounting structure and, hence, ground from dc to just below the primary design frequency.
    • Design patent - https://patents.google.com/patent/USD798847S1/
    • Utility patent - https://patents.google.com/patent/US10468743B2/
    • Background and research - https://www.hamradio.me/interests/j-pole

[​IMG]

Whether or not this functional version of the J antenna has utility to users remains to be seen. At least this one works.

N4GST, W7YBY, KK5JY and 8 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the (somewhat) new patent, John.

But--not sure why this invalidates anything. We all know most of the crap was wrong anyway...

The tale is told in the currents.

This utility patent is assigned to the FBI (USG). Assuming a useful need in ham radio, beyond other options, how do you anticipate licensing for hams?

Chip W1YW

KG4BFR and KX4O like this.
  3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you sue people who build those without paying you royalties?

4. KX4O

Thanks. This process has been a very long road.
    Not nearly enough know... including prominent J antenna makers and their customers. Same goes for the oft quoted "gain over regular J" SlimJIM gain claims.
    Indeed.
    Work in progress... with another department... going at half speed due to coronovirus. :|

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    N0TZU likes this.
  5. KX4O

Not my call as the USG owns it. Will know more in a few months most likely.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably the same self-'experts' who assert that fractals only increase loss.... and are so inefficient that they cause farm fields to burn down .

ROTFL!

Anyway, nice work John:)

Chip W1YW

NL7W and AC0OB like this.
  7. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How much 'decoupling' " is needed at the feed point of an end-fed 1/2 wave(with 1/4 wave matching section)?

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

AFIK, that mast decoupling stub is not new and has appeared in a magazine in the past.

Carl

KR7CM, K4DXG and KA4DPO like this.
  9. WD5HNI

WD5HNI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fab a single J antenna years ago for 6, seems ok, but when the tuff gets going, the 7 element elevated off the groud
    wins hand down. Besides the majority of the hams today do not build antennas! Just too easy to get the laptop out
    and order a dipole or made up ant today.

sw.

KI2H likes this.
  10. KD7TWW

KD7TWW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bump
    73, KD7TWW

11. KD7TWW

KD7TWW Ham Member QRZ Page

To the Author? If I could larger Jpeg pictures. That would be great! KD7TWW 73 Vince

12. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Built a J pole very similar to this design with the mast de-coupling stub (not a new idea) a few years back ... it worked but the omni-directional vertical did just as well and looked cleaner.. Maybe this is different ?? Good luck on the Patent

13. KE0CZQ

KE0CZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool, and yes, some of us still make our own antennas! I will make one of these too, and I bet the BATFE will catch up with me before any other alphabet soup agency does.:)
    73, KE0CZQ

WB5PDZ and WQ4G like this.
  14. KX4O

I would appreciate seeing dated and published articles, books, papers, etc. so I can verify.

15. K3EO

K3EO Ham Member QRZ Page

I also build my own antennas.
    I like the integral feed line approach where the lower portion of the antenna becomes the outer conductor of the coaxial transmission line feed. Below, I posted the website of a calculator I have used to determine the impedance of a coaxial transmission line, given the diameters of the center and outer conductors. For example, for a pole with a 1 inch inner diameter, the center conductor diameter needs to be 7/16 inches to obtain 50 ohms.
    https://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/coaxial-cable-calculator

NL7W and KX4O like this.