ad: ProAudio-1

Xiegu G90 sdr transceiver unboxing! From ham radio outlet. Check it out!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have taught several beginner's licensing classes. Sometimes students will ask about range. I tell them that if they ever see a radio with a distance range advertised on the package, under no circumstances should they believe the number or purchase the radio.

Then I tell the story about hearing an Ohio station (I'm in California) talking to my friend, about 7 miles away. When they finished, I called my nearby friend. He didn't answer, but the Ohio station did, and we had a nice QSO. I later talked to my friend, and he said he had heard my call sign from the Ohio station, but he couldn't hear me. So that evening, on that frequency, my radio was incapable of reaching 7 miles, but capable of reaching over 2000 miles. What range should be advertised on the box of such a radio?

WD4IGX, KK5R, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have great results with my G90 as the patio portable or field portable radio so far.

WD4IGX and KK5R like this.
  3. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

The power connector is available from shops selling radio controlled model planes. Not a problem.

4. KD2LFG

KD2LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu needs an answer to both the G90 and the ICOM 705.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

A 20 Watt 705 would be very attractive to me...

K7KRK and WD4IGX like this.
  6. YD4LLNL

YD4LLNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool ...

7. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I was thinking about this G90 long time...but serveral reports on the net shows also smaller issues.
    Display, CW tone, RIT. However maybe smaller thinks, but i´m not going anymore with the G90.
    Don´t know why, but would still go with one of the well known TRX, even that i know they are too pricy in general.
    I´m thinking about the Kx3 vs. Icom 705 now. The much bigger waterfall of the 705 would be great and all is in the box include soundcard. Only missing thing is a tuner..on the other side, i´m someone who says: The tuner has to be set to the antenna and not on the end of a coax cable...so i ever use an external tuner, it would not be a problem for me.

Here in Croatia, we can travel by car and i´m using the Icom 7300 instead the smaller FT891 what i also own. It´s just the comfrot of the menues and easy using setup and an additional waterfall.

We will see if the first checks will be done after the 705 is available.

73 from nice nice Croatia / Island KRK de 9A/DL4QB

8. W4CDO

W4CDO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got so dizzy watching the video, I fell out of my chair. How does the radio sit on a vertical workbench without falling on the floor?

Jerry W4CDO

WR2E likes this.
  9. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Magnets. It's always magnets.

W4CDO likes this.
  10. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's a great little radio. I keep one in a "Grab and Go" bag with a 12Ah LiFePO4 battery and 10-80M EFHW antenna. Great for field day. Very capable little radio, especially given the money. I think that my kit, including the battery (which will last over 6 hours at full 20 watts @ 50% duty cycle), antenna, the bag, sling shot, coax, and other goodies was less than $750. About HALF the cost of an IC-705, which only does 5W on battery and doesn't last anywhere near as long. Sure the screen is small, but for portable operation, I find I mainly listen to tune in and not watch the waterfall like I do on my IC-7300 or FTdx-101MP back in the shack.

They are also coming out with an add on (Xiegu GSOC), which when connected will give you a 7" LCD display, FM mode, automatic voice call as well as preset storage. It'll have WiFi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, and an SD card. With that option, it will become a very viable mobile/shack radio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    KO4DNI, WD4IGX and KD2TTM like this.
  11. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't let those things scare you away from the G90.

Those small issues have been resolved with firmware updates. My G90 has none of those issues. Its been a great and very reliable rig so far....

K8XG and KD2TTM like this.
  12. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

No, it's sad that the video was completely devoid of useful content. The only thing I learned from it is that it's heavier than one might think. So is a boat anchor. Yawn. It's like "Hey, look at me, I know how to post a video"!

As for the language, we're going to pass on that. With all the trouble in the world today, vulgar language doesn't rise to even a little bit important. C'mon, were you really going to show this to your kids? What a thriller. A Top 10 video for sure... It won't be long before this one goes viral and so if you have kids at home or even near your shack, you better disconnect the internet now because this one's BAD folks!

In case you haven't noticed it, vulgarity is no longer a "thing", so please don't report it to us.

WD4IGX, KQ9J, K7LZR and 1 other person like this.
  13. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

So JESUS is allowed as well? He can really HELP those who don't know HIM & there are so many.They removed HIM from schools & so many other things & look what they turned into.More JESUS far less issues.God Bless AMERICA!

Clayton
    W4KVW

K8XG and KR3DX like this.
  14. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It made me dizzy watching it. I kept wanting to cock my head like one of those wobbly-headed little dog statues some people put on their dashboards

Most unboxing videos are a tad lame but it does give one a chance to see the rig. And vicariously enjoy opening a box with a new rig inside! I always got excited by doing that...even when it was just a box of parts like my first Heath rig!

15. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

So.........language is not important? What if the video contained racial slurs, or denigrating remarks about sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, etc.? Would that "rise to even a little bit important"? Would that be a "thing"?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    W4KVW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.