ad: elecraft

Yaesu FTM-300 Programming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jul 1, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently picked up the Yaesu FTM-300. There are some things I think are great and some not so great. I can't help but wonder if the design was to try and make a "big brother" for the FT3. They have the same size screens, when measured diagonally. However, the screen on the FTM-300 is not a touch screen. Not sure why, considering the FTM--400, FT-2 and FT-3 all have touch screens. My old eyes prefer the size of the FTM-400 screen and is why I have relegated the FTM-300 to the shack. It is an extremely easy radio to program, but Yaesu has not put out free programming software as of yet. If interested I will be contacting Yaesu to see if this radio has the ability to crossband repeat.

FTM-300.png

KC8YXA, VE3GCX and NF6E like this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The screen size is perplexing and lack of touch ability is perplexing. It appears that Yaesu went backwards in some ways, and forward in others. C4FM on both VFOs seems to be the only feature that would place it above the FTM-400 for me.

Thanks or the video. Its helpful to see someone manipulating the radio.

WJ6F likes this.
  3. AC4JK

AC4JK Ham Member QRZ Page

@WJ6F FYI... There is a youtube video showing how to initiate the cross-band repeat.

WJ6F likes this.
  4. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I just published one myself here is the link.

5. W6ZZW

W6ZZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my own issues, in addition to ALL of the above issues. Mine has bricked, twice...no Xmit..scan..loss of control. The only thing that fixed it (had to reboot twice) was to pull the power cord off for 30 seconds to get it to recover. Not a happy ham. What the hell is going on with QC at Yaesu. HRO says to send it in for repair. Great, i'm on vacation and the boxes are home. Thanks a bunch

WJ6F likes this.
  6. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have only heard through the rumor mill (HRO Employee) that the FTM-300 was made in china. This could be the issue.....

7. K6RWM

K6RWM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HRO Anaheim has had several FTM-300s returned that were bricked during menu programming by the user. They were able to conduct a test with a brand new, off the shelf unit, and replicated the problem. Probably best to wait for Yaesu to fix the problem or settle for the FTM-400.

WJ6F likes this.
  8. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought mine from HRO Anaheim. Hopefully I got a good one. I do use the FTM-400XDR in my truck. I have never had any issues with it.

KJ6LDG likes this.
  9. WN4WDE

WN4WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Already sent mine to Yaesu as well. Worked for about 2 weeks then stopped TX in any digital mode, can't change modes, looses RX on all modes. UGH.

10. KM6CS

KM6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

Had these same issues with the FTM-400... Twice! Sent them back and no more! It was really a great rig if it only worked!!

11. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like an ugly cheap Cinese radio.

12. W7TW

W7TW Ham Member QRZ Page

I got mine today. Got my frequency's programed in. Talked on it a little bit. The radio sounds good. The replies said I sounded good.

W5AMG likes this.
  13. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got mine from HRO (Atlanta ) on Friday. Clearly marked on the box "Made in China". If I had done a little more research I probably would have went with Icom instead. Yaesus FTM-100 had some made in China & others made in Japan. I had one made in Japan. In hindsight I should have kept that one and not upgraded to the FTM-300. You might see an ad here on QRZ for an FTM-300 for sale. Yaesu has had models over the years made in China and usually there are problems with them. Hopefully Yaesu will come out with a firmware update that will solve the issues.

14. YL3IM

YL3IM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like touch screens in radios, on the contrary.

15. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The touch screen can certainly be a matter of preference. The screen size on the other hand seems ridiculous. The FTM-400 seems to be a good balance of not being too large or too small. I have several radios mounted in my car, and the FTM-400 is by far the safest to operate: it takes very little time to glance at the screen and see what is there, certainly compared to any grayscale screen (even larger ones).