ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Radio - Looking at the MX-P50M HF amplifier for QRP radios.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - Looking at the MX-P50M HF amplifier for QRP radios.

OZ1FJB, KF6KXG and DL3DCT like this.
  2. KB1TUY

KB1TUY Ham Member QRZ Page

Amplifier for qrz. Now that really makes no since what so ever. Using an amplifier makes you not qrp

KI5AAI, K0UO, AA1PR and 1 other person like this.
  3. KE6MAK

KE6MAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use this amp with my FT-817, and no - it is not QRP at that point. Have had good results - no complaint about signal quality. This also serves as my mobile station - FT-817 ->Amp->Hamstick; works fine business and have made QSO's to Japan from my Los Angeles location while mobile. When portable it runs quite well with a 9amp LIFEPO.........have run it most of the day without draining the battery.

WA2IUS/SK2023 likes this.
  4. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Are these FCC certified?

5. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Like your Homer meme!

UB3ARM likes this.
  6. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

hardly anything coming from china seems to be fcc accepted, and these things are all over ebay.

we're getting utility vehicles from china that are not street legal here, but they're on the roads anyway.

K0UO, AA1PR, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  7. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol

8. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

i got a 818 to keep it simple. It really isnt enough power for portable, but the idea was small radio. Z-100plus small tuner, super antenna mp1 all fit in my harbor freight pelican style case.
    This amp would be a great asset. As would several build it yourself ones. However now we need more room, more stuff. So for me i think a 706mk2g is a better option. Space wise and portable wise.

KA0USE likes this.
  9. SV1GRN

SV1GRN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think QRP radios need any amplifier 73

ES2ADF likes this.
  10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

more stuff

there was a commercial in denver promoting a flea market.-

"we got new stuff, old stuff, stuff you don't need, stuff to build stuff with, stuff to tear stuff down with,
    used stuff, stuff for the understuffed, stuff for the overstuffed......."

the idea is to get overstuffed, then bring it all back the next week and sell it to the understuffed.
    small wonder most of the world is envious of us.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    G3SEA and K4BBN like this.
  11. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are times and conditions where even devout QRP'ers need 10-20W to establish and maintain the desired communications.

KC9YGN and W4XDX like this.
  12. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, but if it comes in a couple of parts.....and as a licensed amateur radio operator....you put it together....it's legal.

13. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using one mobile with uBitx and a Hamstick on 80 40 and 20. It gives just enough extra power to get you over the noise. Nice and compact, reasonably clean. Many of the mosfets were salvaged from analog cell phone equipment, possibly why the printing was obliterated, others use NOS mosfets. They seem to be sensitive to high SWR and are unforgiving if you transmit on the wrong band (don't ask how I know this).

14. KB4CO

KB4CO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice review. Purchased mine over 2yrs ago and works like a champ.

15. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video and also enjoyed the VLOG on the road.

On the amp -- any more technical details?

You mentioned it is a 28V mosfet module -- can it be run at 15V for example? Does that increase P0 closer to the mosfet spec?

How does the power vary by band ?
    How does the current draw vary by band and by power input ?
    How is the linearity of the amplifier ?
    How is the IMD / 2nd order harmonics?
    Is that a chebychev filter ?

Thanks.. Safe travels ! Keep doing the vlog. Enjoy it. Also loved my time in 7-land.

W4XDX likes this.