ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Gets 30 Days in the Slammer for On Air Harassment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1FM, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was yesterday. Today it's 92%.

AA5H and N8ZI like this.
  2. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He was caught in at least 3 different counties over the course of several years all with the same crimes and behavior.
    Makes me wonder how many times he committed these crimes and did not get caught.
    Judging by his QRZ page it appears he lost a hundred pounds or more.

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) — A Jacksonville man accused of impersonating a law enforcement officer in February 2019 has been arrested again on the same charge.

A 15-year-old girl and her mother were driving west on Arkansas 36 in Searcy on Wednesday when she was pulled over by a man driving a black car with emergency lights in the window, the White County sheriff’s office reported. The man, identified as Jeremy Dale Kurck, 39, reportedly claimed he was a “Kensett officer.”

The teen said that Kurck unlawfully searched the car after she questioned him. He then told her, “I do what I want so get out of the [explicit] car,” according to the sheriff's office. The teen told authorities that as she got out of her car, Kurck pushed her out of the way and began to search the car.

The teen said that after Kurck searched the vehicle, he accused her of being drunk and gave her a breathalyzer test. She said that he refused to give back her driver’s license and then left to go pull over another vehicle in the same area.

The teen said that Kurck's vehicle said “Kensett Police” on the side but it didn’t look professional, according to the sheriff's office. He was reportedly not wearing a duty belt but had a pair of handcuffs.

New details reveals man arrested for impersonating officer has history of similar activity
    A Jacksonville man arrested for posing as a member of law enforcement in Lonoke County one week ago, is out on bond. But the investigation into the suspect"s past continues. Deputies with the Lonoke County Sheriff"s Office arrested 37-year-old Jeremy Kurck after observing a Dodge pickup with flashing green, amber and red lights, speeding and travelling erratically on Pine Street and Mountain Carmel Road.

The sheriff’s office contacted Kensett Police Chief John Pollard, who said there was no one working who fit Kurck’s description and there was no patrol unit matching the vehicle's description.

The sheriff's office said it developed Kurck as a suspect due to his criminal history. He was arrested on Feb. 8, 2019 in Lonoke County after authorities said he was seen speeding and driving erratically in a Dodge pickup equipped with flashing lights. When deputies pulled Kurck over, they reportedly found that his vehicle was equipped with police equipment, such as a portable radio, mobile radar, handcuffs and body cameras.

Lonoke County sheriff's office Lt. Matt Edward said that Kurck had run-ins with authorities in Saline, Pulaski and White counties several years ago for similar activity.

Kurck was charged with felony criminal impersonation, criminal use of prohibited weapons, speeding and operating emergency lights and sirens as a prohibited person. Court records show the first two charges were dropped as part of a negotiated guilty plea and he was sentenced to one year of probation.

Authorities on Thursday arrested Kurck at his home in Jacksonville. Deputies reportedly found an assortment of law enforcement badges and equipment after searching the home.

Kurck was booked in the White County jail on charges of criminal impersonation, second-degree false imprisonment and theft of property. He was released Friday.

A court date was set for June 2.

Kurck had not returned a call seeking comment Thursday afternoon.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mental health professionals.

Related story:

It wasn't exactly a secret that a neighbor of my parents was getting therapy for some persistent mental health issues. I was visiting my folks one day and my father asked me, "Did you hear about June's psychiatrist?" I hadn't, so he goes on to tell me that June was looking for another doctor because her psychiatrist had committed suicide. True story. Neighbor's name changed to protect the embarrassed.

Now there's a good plan. What could possibly go wrong?

Probably busy out patrolling the streets.

N8ZI likes this.
  4. N8ZI

5. VK5SCR

VK5SCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why Mental Health(?), and what makes that so "obvious"????

Seriously, its such a "cop out" these days to call "Mental Health" on every third issue in the world, they suddenly just didn't open a Mental Health Hospital door and let them all run off doing whatever, with a smile and a wave.
    Too much "Media Corruption and blatant lies " going on, everyone needs to stop listening to "scripted media" and the fake news.
    Touch of advice to EVERYONE: Stop and smell them Roses, take the time to think for yourselves and not blindly agree with propaganda, some people are not awake to the real world!
    Just saying.

WQ4G, WN1MB, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems, IMO, that 'blurred vision' is a problem we good naturedly have to help each other with on this thread, especially with the issue of Federal versus State jurisdiction.

Good example by metaphor: I was looking at the log (with my glasses off) and ran across John Lipski's call:

N8ZZ

Sounds silly but it looked like

NAZZ

to me...one of my favorite bands! (Todd Rundgren's first band).

Just goes to show what a little clarity will do for you--by accurate factual content!

Chip W1YW

7. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly do not condone acting like an ass on the air; however, going to court over on air harassment sounds like a bunch of crybabies to me. Wow, how fragile can you get and what a waste of time for the courts while the country burns. To all you jackolopes whom just can't resist tossing your two cents in on 7200, maybe you'll find yourselves cooling your heels in the county clink for unapproved speech one of these days.

W1YW likes this.
  8. N8ZI

Perhaps you should read all the comments before committing hoof-in-mouth. Pay attention to the post detailing exactly what transpired. Your tone will quickly change.

K5HFG and K7JEM like this.
  9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

People do not understand what is going on here, obviously something that could turn violent.

N8ZI likes this.
  10. N8ZI

Perhaps this will open your eyes.
    It was posted by N1FM
    The victim statement that gave rise to the Order of Protection from Stalking and Harassment reads as follows:

The stalking behavior from Michael Mgrdichian began in 2016. I filed a complaint with the FCC over Mr. Mgrdichian's racially abusive language on the ham radio. Once Mr. Mgrdichian discovered this, he began to harass me over the ham radio system and call my supervisor. Mr. Mgrdichian wanted my employer to "do something" about me, Mr. Mgrdichian said I was HIV+, said he was going after my pension, saying "anything can happen" to me. Mr. Mgrdichian said he walked up on me at the Pro Bassmaster's event several weeks ago and described my tattoo, described the layout of my home and property. Mr. Mgrdichian even said he's been to my job site, walked up on me in downtown Knoxville and has flown a drone over my home. I have repeatedly asked him to leave me alone, and blocked all of his email addresses. He has verbally abused me on the radio. I need him to leave me alone and not come around me.

The Protection Order was granted by the 4th Circuit judge in TN. Next, evidence was presented that Mgrdichian violated the order. Evidence of recordings and several email accounts used for harassment and stalking were discussed, as described in the complaint. Recordings were played. The judge accepted the recordings but the emails were written under the pseudonym "Ben Dover" and since there were no subpoenas issued, provenance could not be verified. Trial was set.

Michael J. Mgrdichian was found guilty of three separate violations of the Protection Order, and the victim proved the violations beyond a reasonable doubt. Mgrdichian was sentenced to 30 days in jail with 10 to serve, based on future performance. He filed a post sentencing Rule 35 motion apologizing and asking for leniency. Apparently, in the motion, and at another hearing, he said he believed the victim brandished a weapon and that he definitely pushed him off his three wheeled scooter. The official videotape from outside the jail and courtroom, and a statement from a Lieutenant, describing a complaint by Mgrdichian saying his scooter encountered a bump in the pavement, shows that the victim did no such thing.

This potential perjury charge and the email issues may be one of the subjects addressed in the remand. The judge denied the Rule 35 motion, questioning Mgrdichian's credibility, and stating the jail was well equipped to handle all of Mgrdichian's special needs.

Mgrdichian appealed, through counsel this time, saying the court had no jurisdiction over ham radio and that he didn't know he was facing three separate criminal counts with jail time attached. He also said the judge had no jurisdiction to restrict his use of ham radio because that is preempted by FCC rules. The appeals court affirmed the trial court's authority, affirmed the 30 day sentence, and ordered a remand for further issues as deemed necessary, and they taxed all costs to Mgrdichian.

I suppose there could be a potential criminal perjury issue, potential use of email for criminal harassment issue, and a potential sentence enhancement for bias issue, if he's found guilty of any criminal issues on remand, but only the judge knows what he will want to explore.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree: they do not understand what is going on here.

BUT---some have learned through personal history.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"Special needs"???

13. N8ZI

You are !00% correct. Just like the lunatics that listen to only one side of the story then instantly become judge jury and executioner before ALL of the evidence is exposed.
    A prime example are the uninformed domestic terrorists marching, protesting, looting, burning down America, beating up and killing innocent people and commandeering cities over outright lies by the media.

WA8MEA, AG5SU, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  14. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Short bus

N8ZI and W1YW like this.
  15. NI3I

NI3I Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had multiple occasions to listen in on 7.200 from my office and I can tell you, if you don't already know, it is proliferated with lids. Since the victim is not identified I can only speculate on who it may be but the arguments that I have heard have specifically been between the defendant and a man in or near Memphis. And if this is indeed the victim, I would say he is hardly a victim and many times the instigator. He proclaims himself the KING of the frequency which is often times referred to as a "channel" by the occupants. Although I do not sympathize with the defendant and his behavior is abhorrent, I would say lock up the lot of them and throw away the key. The sad part of it is, there are a FEW hams that maintain a presence there whom are well versed in ........ lets call them ... "the radio arts" and would make good hams but they themselves can not contain their own poor behavior. Ham radio is not what it once was and yet I am not one to sit around and reminisce, it will continue to deteriorate over time. Everything changes, in fact the only thing that never changes is that everything changes. ... Peace and 73.s

K7GYB, KE0GXN and W4HM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.