ad: M2Ant-1

Super Antenna MP1 my favourite configuration

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jun 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video Julian. Hro seems to be sold out lol. I need one. Bought that wander lead mfj deal. Tunes up but thats all so far

OLDARCHER, KG4BFR and OH8STN like this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

The MP1 is a class act, quality hardware and I like the frequency guide card for coil sizing.

On the Wander Lead I got one to use as my Pickup's HF/CB antenna replacing a 4-1/2 foot fire-stick. Worked many Special Event stations while driving with it on my FT-891.

When parked at a park or other outdoor setting, I replace it with a 17-1/2' Telescopic Whip on top of a Wolf Coil on the 3/8-24 mount in the stake-bed mount.

On longer stays I put a MyAntenna's 9:1 End Fed up in a tree also.

OLDARCHER, W4SEX, KG4BFR and 2 others like this.
  4. OH8STN

Yeah I don't know what to say about that Wonder thing :) anyway, like with any vertical antenna the counterpoise makes all the difference.
    Julian oh8stn

OLDARCHER and KG4BFR like this.
  5. OH8STN

Outstanding. I have a few of those Fire Sticks here now common I'm looking forward to putting those up. Thanks for sharing your setups with us.
    Julian oh8stn

OLDARCHER, K8XG and KG4BFR like this.
  6. KG7HVR

Have you tried the hamstick dipole? Ive had good luck with that in lieu of countetpoise. Vertical 40m dipole.

7. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the original mp1 dipole version I paid about $200 for that made lots of contacts qrp with my Yaesu ft817nd. I don’t understand why the new non dipole version costs more than what I paid for mine on that basis I could get back what I paid for mine plus some !!!

OLDARCHER likes this.
  8. OH8STN

I have, and with good results. Even tried the Lazy L and horizontal dipole config with the MP1.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  9. KG7HVR

How does it compare to the super antenna. Im considering buying just the mp1c . Or is it worth buying the one with the super wip? They sell it 2 ways. I have a stake mount already so im not sure if the collapsible wip is better?

OLDARCHER likes this.
  10. OH8STN

I'm not sure what you mean by a stake mount. Anyway just look at the pictures on their website, compare those two they compatible things you have already, then get what you need. Fhd super slider uses 3/8-24 female on both ends.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  11. KG7HVR

They sell a clamp mount with a ground stake also. Comes with radials. And the titanium whip non adjustable. The bare bones kit comes with the collapsible whip. And center section and thats it
    You seem to prefer a adjustable whip section. So the cheaper one comes with that instead

OLDARCHER likes this.
  12. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video Julian,

I had two questions regarding the counterpoise.
    1) On your stationary installation, I assume you used 3 x wire lengths 1/4 wavelength long laying on top on the ground spaced at 120 degrees apart ?
    2) On your mobile setup (i.e. motorcycle) you simply used the motorcycle chassis as the counterpoise ?

OLDARCHER likes this.
  13. N2RIC

N2RIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, Julian!

What are your thoughts on the Super Antenna MP1 versus the Chameleon MPAS?

Have you done a comparison of the two sysytems and weighed their pros and cons against each other?

Stay safe!

73 de Rich N2RIC

OLDARCHER likes this.
  14. NA4RA

NA4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice video Julian! I use the Buddipole when I am portable. It works and setup is about the same.
    73 and good luck, NA4RA

15. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video as always.

For my MP-1, I use a sharpie and mark the coil for each band. No need to haul out the guide, just slide the upper part of the coil to where I marked.

Kent K9EZ