ad: UR5CDX-1

HF Mobile Install (Ram 2500)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jun 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's how I did an HF Mobile Install In A Ram 2500! I also show you where I bonded the truck to get a better more efficient ground plane. Most of what is used in this HF Mobile Install is from my last vehicle. This project ended up being easier than I had originally anticipated. The items I installed are the Yaesu FT-891 and the ATAS 120A. I have heard people trash talk the ATAS 120A, but I have been told the key to the ATAS 120A is grounding.

KL5PF, WP4OTO, N3DAW and 10 others like this.
  2. KM4UVY

KM4UVY Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of mount do you have the radio on? Cup holder or?

Thanks I have a 1500 looking for the best way to mount the radios.

Joe KM4UVY

KJ6LDJ and WJ6F like this.
  3. WV4M

WV4M Ham Member QRZ Page

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

WJ6F likes this.
  4. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a Lido cup mount from Ham Radio Outlet, and a PVC 4"-3" reducer for drain systems spray painted black.

KM4UVY likes this.
  5. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

地面が正しく設定されています。
    問題ありません。

JF1IRQ From Japan

6. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Everything you done is correct I’m not saying you did anything wrong but bringing some advise from past experience you did wonderful with your install

from my personal experience I DID the same type of install with the same ANTENNA mount turned out i had that tail light cracked because of that mount lip over time opening and closing

so guys beware of that small lip from that antenna mount this is a big possibility that it might crack your tail light

best to bend it out a little bit to avoid any contact with your tail light .

that’s all

thanks and 73

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    WJ6F and W9AWX like this.
  7. W4BSS

W4BSS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video!! The ATAS 120A is a decent little antenna. I owned one for many years along with a FT-100D and made many DX contacts while driving using only 100 watts. Grounding is key but weatherproofing of the ATAS 120A is very important. I added a little blob of black Permatex silicone to the slit in the rubber boot where the whip passed through on top of the antenna shaft. My ATAS stayed dry for years but many hams found their ATAS 120A had turned into a rain gauge due to water intrusion.

W4BSS

K9EZ likes this.
  8. KD7SV

KD7SV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What model Blue Sea Fuse block did you use? Looking at the video and their website, not sure I can tell which one it is.

Dan

9. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you have much better success with the ATAS 120A antenna than I did with a Yaesu FT-857D.It by far is the WORST HF mobile antenna I have ever used or owned.Hamsticks,Hustler,DK2 Screwdriver & the TARHEEL II all blew it away on transmit & receive & none of them ever started re-tuning in the middle of a QSO.All of those antennas were used on the same mount on the same mounting location.You could never give me another one even for FREE if I'm required to keep & use it or the 857D.I have considered the 891A as my next HF/6 meter mobile since ICOM thinks every radio should have a Touch Screen but I would purchase another TARHEEL II if I go that route.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KT5OT and N4GST like this.
  10. W4KVW

I forgot to mention that the ATAS 120-A stayed Full of water every time it rained & it rains a lot here in Florida.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KT5OT and WJ6F like this.
  11. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent advice! I did check and I do have a space in between the light and mount. I just hope it is far enough if some one gets over zealous closing the tailgate.

12. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I take mine of when we get rain

13. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the Blue Sea Systems 5025 ST Blade Fuse Block. I got it off amazon.

KD7SV likes this.
  14. W4KVW

Mine would stay Off very often if that were the case here.I prefer one I can leave installed. {:>)

Clayton
    W4KVW

W5CJA likes this.
  15. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Lol well let
    Just hope for the best ... I was so pissed off when mine cracked my tail light it was not a cheap fix and nowadays tail lights are expensive to replace
    Thanks for taking notes

nice install tutorial
    I love it

KB6M and WJ6F like this.