ad: ProAudio-1

AMAZING PRIZES FOR THE COVID-19 COMMUNICATION EVENT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KO8SCA, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KO8SCA

KO8SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

TRAVEL FREE WITH COVID-19 COMMUNICATION EVENT
    GRAND PRIZE

Araucaria DX Group of Brazil, ZW5B & Radio Arcala of Finland, OH8X jointly offer those high performing 63 event participants a lucky draw for a one-week trip to Finland, including the OH Summer Camp and DX-summer activities and visit to the Arcala superstation OH8X. If you cannot stand the 24-hour daylight in Far North you may opt for a one-week trip to Brazil instead, including participation in CQ WW SSB or CW and a visit to PS2T or ZW5B super stations.

(*) These trips are scheduled for 2021 because of the current coronavirus pandemic.

The top 30 multi-mode scores, top 5 single mode scores on each mode, and top 3 scores of each continent will receive an online certificate. The same group of sixty-three (63) scores will participate in the above lottery. How do I qualify? The weekend of June 6&7 – see the rules here: http://ko8sca.com/rules.pdf

GRAND PRIZE FOR THE STAYHOME STATIONS OPERATORS WITH 1000+ QSOs
    A CHANCE TO WIN:

YAESU FT-891 MOBILE TRANSCEVER donated by Yaesu Musen Co.

GOOD LUCK FROM THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE: E21EIC, KO8SCA, OH2BH, OH2MM and PY5EG

KN4LGM likes this.
  2. ON7MIC

ON7MIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well instead of offering prices, It will have been probably more ethical to offer the money Red Cross or something similar, you know what I mean helping those in the front line and not those have the luxury to stay home behind their microphone. But anyway I don't want to start any polemic.

1 person likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am vey troubled that this is being posted as an 'ethical' issue.

To wit, 'ethics': IMO you should leave that decision up to the winners. Doesn't it make more sense for THEIR personal recognition to be manifest in a form THEY want, rather than doing their thinking for them?

People have the ability to determine how to help others rather than having those decisions always made for them up-front. For example, 'selling' a prize may be better, and then GIVING the money to a LOCAL concern whose process and track record you trust. Or, selling a prize and pouring it back into a business to help the employees keep their jobs. Or paying a month's rent for a needy neighbor. You get the idea.

MO, and that's the point: don't decide my opinion for me, or others, and then shame them into an 'ethical' condundrum. Respect their own ability to do so.

This is a fabulous event and best of luck to all.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    W4YBO, WQ4G, NU4R and 4 others like this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Their contest, their rules.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people want ham radio done "My way"! Well, your way is not the only way, grasshopper!

If these fellows have the ways and means, let them do their thing. I see no ethical problem here either. They are not soliciting donations. It's sounds kind of like an on-air hamfest with prizes awarded to the participants. Is there an "ethical problem" with hamfest prizes?

No. So why is this any different? Is it that this stupid virus is being used for the name of their operating event? If that's the problem, it at least has generated some interest, right? That's the point of the original post and it seems to have worked!

Either way, it is no concern of mine. I will maybe hear and possibly even work some of the on-air stations with my peanut-whistle. No way will I qualify for anything, not even an "Atta Boy!" award, so it is just another passing thing: which I will pass...

9A5O, W4YBO, W2CPD and 4 others like this.
  5. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ethical? Good gravy. :rolleyes:

W4YBO, W2CPD, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  6. ON7MIC

ON7MIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did I ever say this contest must not take place? did I even say their rules are stupid? Did I propose a way or said " my way" is better? Did I ask for people to not participate?

You are right: their contest, their rules. You are also totally right, they don't solicit for donation and they are totally free to do whatever they want with their own money. I think we all agree on the fact that freedom is the highest universal value.
    I indeed have difficulties when "club" do marketing by surfing on what you call a "stupid virus". It probably just a question of culture and sensitivity. In my education/culture, it is not well perceived to use what can be tragic for some families as marketing support for an event.

Last but not least the word "ethical" was probably the wrong one, don't forget we are not all EN native speaker here.
    The most important, they are free and people are free to participate no doubt about that.

No need to debate more, the most important is to enjoy our hobby and all sides of it

W1YW and (deleted member) like this.
  7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!!! Those really are Great Prizes!!!
    I'd just DIE to visit that OH8X Contest station, with the worlds most SPECTACULAR Antenna array. I visited the W7RN site in Nevada and that is breathtaking too, but that OH8X Yagi on 160 AND 80 is just UNBELIEVABLE!!

And I'd love to replace my WAR SURPLUS Icom IC-706 with that nice new FT-891!!

But I suck at contesting. I do give the VHF contests a good try though.. SIGH
    Congrats to the Lucky Winners!!

WQ4G, KA0HCP and (deleted member) like this.
  8. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, then... How many folk here worked any of the "Special Event" Stations?

I worked one... Just one... Guess I don't get a prize, huh?