ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL' Becky Schoenfeld abs Kris Bickell discuss initiatives and plans to help hams grow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, May 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

They do have great coffee...I would have never expected it. I prefer it to my wife's favorite, Dunkin' Donuts (although McD doesn't have jelly filled munchkins).

W5ESE and W1YW like this.
  2. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate Mickey D's
    they lure children there with toys and playgrounds
    and feed them really bad food
    all fast food is garbage
    sorry, but health is pretty important to me

W1YW likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

After a couple of days to think this through, I have to say that this collection, on this thread, of attacks by KA3QOT are amongst the most distasteful I have ever seen on QRZed.

The notion that everyone who does not take his stance(which is clearly anti-ARRL), is, with a litany of unsavory adjectives such as: 'arrogant',' pompous', 'horrible',' close-minded', 'condescending', 'disaster', 'pretentious', 'dull', 'stilted', 'disgusting', 'biased', 'childish','blowhard', 'angry', 'social justice warrior', 'not credentialed', ' lucky to have jobs', and on and on-- this is impossible to describe as other than hateful and meant to provoke, IMO. As I said, it makes me, IMO, wonder about the person saying them and their own 'issues'.

Perhaps there is another interpretation of KA3QOT's comments( as shown above in red), but I am at a loss to see it.

All this thread does is present, in somewhat amateur-ish form, a video that has two great ARRL employees showing what the ARRL is doing for amateur radio and ARRL members. The message is clear and professional, even if we expect more from the delivery vehicle/video (which is NOT an ARRL production).

You don't HAVE to support the ARRL--that's OK! It might be helpful though to take a look at what they are doing,for amateur radio, now. NOT 20 years ago, NOT 10 years ago.

I was hoping we might discuss, using this video as talking points, the value of On The Air and other efforts that these hard working League employees are making happen on behalf of us all. I urge y'all to take a look at On The Air and ask : how ELSE can we help the emerging and next generation of hams? How ELSE can we help these League employees convey that message?

Whether you support the ARRL or not, kindly think about that.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    W9EBE likes this.
  4. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, thank you for sticking up for the ARRL. I chose to work at the League because I wanted to contribute to a cause I believed to be beneficial to society and to myself. I left a successful career in television and even took a pay cut to work at the ARRL. Yes, and I live in Connecticut, too. The people I work with are dedicated and do their best in following the directions from the Directors. As a staff member, such threads as this one makes me very sad, especially during our country's difficult times. We should be sticking together.

Can we end this thread, now, please?

W1YW likes this.
  5. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Reported a THIRD time for harassment.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Very best to the dedicated and friendly employees in Newington:)!

Chip W1YW

N4QX likes this.
  7. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Repeat after me.
    "BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD."
    Think you can do a better job? Help make it better. Write a "non-boring" article.

Griping does very little. Action does a lot.

WN1MB and W1YW like this.
  8. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will chime in here to say that the ARRL is making an effort to help new radio amateurs. In my opinion they are doing a good job. Just looked at "on the air" magazine and I liked it and thought the basic format is just what is needed for a lot of people. Even if you have a good base of knowledge sometimes seeing it laid out in a new fashion will help further your understanding. Being mostly an HF guy in my first year here in the hobby I liked the articles about VHF and repeaters and the advice. I might expand my activities into that spectrum at some point so it was useful. So I see they are trying to help new amateurs and have people dedicated to that mission. I joined ARRL last year when I got licensed and feel like my money is being well spent on this pursuit. The slideshow itself was proof that they collect data and try to act on that data exactly how an organization that represents a wide following should. Do I agree with everything they do, No. Would I like to see a lower membership fee, Yes but the overhead to run a national organization, print magazines, online/web presence, events, and employees, in the year 2020 has to eat up a whole lot of revenue. (2015 QST article "The value of ARRL membership") has a long list of what dues pay for, and I am happy that my money is going to some very challenging and worthwhile pursuits.

WN1MB and W1YW like this.
  9. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who IS this officious &*%&*%*?

W1YW and W0PV like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful there fella! I will call out the troops!

Giggedy!
    ;-)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    W0PV and N4QX like this.
  11. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

That comment did not go over my head. I have a good memory :)

N4QX likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

4 score and 4 CEO's ago....

13. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I've seen hams don't need any help growing.

Ed

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ed,

The numbers, in the US are , as you mention, excellent. But they hide a tough reality: a huge majority of new hams seldom get on the air. In fact, MOST NEVER get on the air.

Ever.

ON THE AIR (magazine) is targetted especially to those new hams (almost all Techs) to show them what they can do with the magic box, and the world it opens up to them.

Nothing forces anyone to get on the air. But sometimes the incentive lies with information and a friendly invitation.

Chip W1YW

15. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Chip. I may have been a bit too subtle.

I meant based on what I've seen at hamfests. Their size. :)

Ed

W1YW likes this.