ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL' Becky Schoenfeld abs Kris Bickell discuss initiatives and plans to help hams grow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, May 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Your arrogance knows no bounds. I'm done with your childish posts.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I reiterate: Pot. Kettle. Black.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on your picture, looks like you succeeded;-)!

W5ESE, WJ4U, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dennis,

This is wearing thin. We GET that you don't like us or the ARRL.

Chip W1YW

AB4KA and WN1MB like this.
  5. KA3QOT

Reported you for harassment. Good job!

6. KA3QOT

I don't like the League, but I especially don't like the condescension and arrogance you and a few others are displaying here.

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not too late to save the thread

high-road-low-road.jpg

AB4KA, G3SEA, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dennis--

We are astounded by your failure to stay on topic, and make ad hominem attacks, with assertions which are patently false (such as, for example W1YW is a 'social justice warrior',arrogant, and so on) with those who disagree. Kind of hard to know what to make of it.

I have asked you nicely, several times, what is WRONG with the ARRL's 'new generation of hams' effort, in the context of what you think is missing, etc.

You are discussing this with folks--members-- who are more than willing to call out the ARRL for incorrect moves. We don't see this effort as one of them.

Take that question at face value, not as an attack.

We really want to know what else they(ARRL) should be doing in this regard. It's a friendly request. I can't imagine complaining about any good ideas you want to suggest.

Becky is an enabler for the best ideas on this. IMO, if you have something helpful, you owe it to this nice person to throw it out here.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    AB4KA likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We'all trying....

Let me throw out an idea--

I think the ARRL should generate a YOUTUBE 'Newbie' channel, and get a club competition to generate the videos, with small awards and recognition for the best ones. That way lots of talented people have a chance to 'make good vid', help newbies, and take the task off ARRL headquarters.

Comments?

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    W9EBE and WQ4G like this.
  10. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yall could all stop posting. This is going nowhere.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ken,

You are actually an example of what ,IMO, the newbies need to see. Your clever antenna mount in a 'antenna challenged' space is exactly the kind of concern that many new hams have, and most just stay off the air because they don't have working solutions that meet their needs.

So, what's a good way of getting this, and many others examples, 'out there'? Print copy may or may not work. Video? Facebook?

How could the ARRL help? Growth means work-arounds in practical challenges.

Chip W1YW

WQ4G likes this.
  12. KA3QOT

You attacked me by saying I eat at McDonald's and other things. You and your buddy are both arrogant.

And, I never thought it possible, but my opinion of the League is lessened after both of your posts in this thread.

The League can close down for all I care.

I have no interest in conversing with you or the League ever again.

13. N1BCG

I'll take the rest to go and the check, please...

WN1MB likes this.
  14. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally, the numbers don't actually indicate, at least to my cursory review, that amateur radio in the U.S. is struggling. Perhaps our representation at the federal level is lacking, but growth in licenses doesn't seem to be an issue.

I've personally gotten two friends interested in ham radio and they're now licensed. I've also used military training to incorporate HF demos for my fellow Soldiers who had no idea what HF radios were capable of.

I believe amateur radio is best represented and promoted at the lowest level.

Edit: I probably looked too far into your question. Sorry. But, face to face mentoring via local groups seems to work best for me.

W5ESE and W1YW like this.
  15. N1BCG

Absolutely.

This is why every amateur op is an ambassador to the hobby whether on or off the air. No amount of marketing could be as effective as a positive personal experience and it would be great if clubs and individuals that are successful in growth and maintenance would share their stories.

Since this thread began with a video, I’ll loop back to that and report that a young op regularly streams his on-air conversations on the video streaming service Twitch. Incredibly, four viewers have been inspired to study for and obtain their licenses just within the past few months.

I believe this has been effective because he doesn’t try to sell amateur radio, he just streams it as it is with the viewers feeling like they’re hanging out with him. As with other live streams, they can also comment on what they see in real-time.

I’m following this concept with great interest.

WJ4U and W1YW like this.