ad: chuckmartin

ARRL' Becky Schoenfeld abs Kris Bickell discuss initiatives and plans to help hams grow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, May 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KG4BFR, W0MSN and KC5HWB like this.
  2. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry about the typo in the title. That's what I get for posting this from my phone with no glasses.

NN6A and KC5HWB like this.
  3. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be fooled.

This is all about filling the league's coffers. They're losing members like me and new hams aren't joining.

It's a bit about education, but it's primarily about boosting ARRL's membership and selling their overpriced products with really expensive shipping.

KB1QYH, N3EG, KT4RC and 1 other person like this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

that may be the lamest youtube of all time. it's completely unwatacble! the first 12 minutes are "can you hear me now, how about now?" how about learning to edit before posting it!?!? And why is the host shown continuously, he's not interesting? the slides are too small to read. why aren't they full screen, with the speaker in a cameo box? And what was that win10 update popup over the lady gurest? Geeeze this is like 7th grade A/V stuff!!

TL;DR: complete waste of time, 0 of 10 would watch again.

K0BAK, KT4RC, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  5. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You hit the nail on the head...

N3EG, N3FAA and KA3QOT like this.
  6. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You got that right I'm done with the ARRL , all I wanted is the QSL service to work but with no help from the section managers that's it.

N3EG, N3FAA and KA3QOT like this.
  7. KA3QOT

This video was horrible. We don't need to see the face of the host all the time and way too many glitches that should have been edited out.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Well that went over well. :rolleyes:

N3FAA and KA3QOT like this.
  9. KA3QOT

What a disaster in every way.

N3FAA likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get this statement.

If you don't have new hams then its axiomatic that you don't get new members. If you don't give these new hams a 'value equation' for ARRL membership then they have no reason to join. No one forces anyone to be a new ham, and no one forces ANYONE to join the ARRL.

Are you saying people don't have free will?

ARRL has a mission to promote amateur radio. Period.

So, explain to us why the ARRL is NOT acting in the best interest of getting and keeping active, new hams?

I mean, really: we have this great , positive, initiative from the ARRL--finally!-- and you diss it without any good reason, let alone an ALTERNATIVE...

Dennis, what would YOU want the ARRL to do to promote amateur radio to new hams?

Chip W1YW

NN6A, KG5THG, AI4BJ and 2 others like this.
  11. KA3QOT

They don't need the League. When I became a new ham, I joined my local ham radio club and members were more than willing to help me. I find it hard to believe that not one of these new hams couldn't find a local club member to mentor them.

The League has always been all about itself. It's to their financial interests to get more hams to join.

Maybe they would get more members if they didn't charge $49.00 a year for their membership? And what about the costs for awards and Outgoing QSLs? Their shipping prices are outrageous. How about offering discounts for members when they buy ARRL items?

Also, how about redoing QST? It's deadly dull and boring looking. And half of the magazine is ads.

The League is a rip-off.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You continue to pose an issue that isn't that addressed by the video, or by me.

Like it or not, the ARRL is the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF AMATEUR RADIO.

Your assertion that "'they' don't need the League "is not representative of the legal and governmental control and oversight of Part 97. There is no other voice that has any non- trivial representation base of Part 97 licensees.

SO take the symbols 'ARRL-League' out of your language and tell us how a 'national association of amateur radio' SHOULD be working for promotion of amatuer radio....and interface to the USG vis a vis Part 97.

The answer: 'we don't need that at all' has no basis in fact, for example.

Chip W1YW

W4LJ, WN1MB and AB4KA like this.
  13. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Two striking benefits of the ARRL producing their own videos:

1) Quality control - I realize this is an amateur video but even then there were numerous missed opportunities for cleaning it up. This video should have been blocked by an approval process.

2) Content management - This thread proves that the ARRL needs to take marketing into their own hands and clearly show what they do for amateur radio. There are far too many members, some who are life members, who recognize the benefits and contributions of the organization. The goal should be to make these efforts more obvious to the rest of the amateur radio community.

G0SDG and WN1MB like this.
  14. KA3QOT

Did you even read my email?

Lower their membership fee.

Do away for charging for awards and outgoing QSLs.

Have reasonable shipping and discounts for member purchases.

Redo their boring magazine and cut out at least 25% of advertising and replace it with real content.

$49.00 is way too much for what a member gets in return.

If it wasn't all about money, they would implement these changes. But they won't.

15. KA3QOT

Why doesn't the League go to Dayton and Livestream the panels?

Instead of one monthly podcast - sponsored by ICOM - why not do a video podcast weekly?

They won't spend the money.