ad: ProAudio-1

13 Colonies Special Event

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KU2US, May 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

Join us for the 12th year of the 13 Colonies Special Event honoring the original 13 Colony States, our Independence and our active Military / Veterans. Start is July 1st 9AM Eastern (13:00) and ends July 7th Midnight (04:00 July 8th). A really nice certificate is offered this year! All modes and bands except 60 meters. Go to www.13colonies.us or KU2US QRZ page..

KD2UHD, M1WML, KJ4BFH and 11 others like this.
  2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Still waiting on my K2B QSL card from 2018!! Maybe you should work on those before hosting again.

M1WML and W4POT like this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Two years ago already. Time to give it up.
    "just calling me a troublemaker and a troll"

M1WML, AG3Q and KD2NOM like this.
  4. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

You really should quote the whole post. Where I'm one of multiple people upset that the QSL info was changed AFTER the event and updated to "All SASE's will be ignored and discarded" The event hosts refused to do anything or even give a basic apology. Just "Too bad, there are worse things in life! Get over it!"

I will give up when I get the card in hand. Until then I will badmouth the event and do my best to warn everyone away from them. Especially this year with all my extra free time Haha. They picked on the wrong person!

M1WML, N8TGQ, W4POT and 1 other person like this.
  5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Gotta love a ham with too much time on his hands. :(

If zero K2B contacts got their QSLs that's 7% of the 13 Colonies. In other words 93% were likely happy with their confirmations. Much better percentage than QRZ, eQSL, or LoTW. Have a nice 4th!

KE4DIS, M1WML, ND6M and 1 other person like this.
  6. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

All hams have too much time on their hands. That's why the hobby.

M1WML, N5YSW and WJ4U like this.
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a fiasco for sure but I had forgotten all about it by Sep. I'll try to work them again this year. For the record, they say only 1000 cards printed - first come, first served.

M1WML likes this.
  8. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The organizer has little control over how the state groups manage their QSL's. This is all volunteer.

M1WML, KJ3N, ND6M and 1 other person like this.
  9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

And some of us volunteers are exhausted by the time it's over.

K2E/KJ3N

KE4DIS, M1WML, AD4DQ and 1 other person like this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

PULLLLLLEZZZE!!!
    The OP you contacted during the event is NOT going to give you a QSL............ Get that thru your head!

What do you want the other special event operators to do? mail you a FAKE QSL when you didn't work them??

M1WML likes this.
  11. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

Each state is an individual entity with a manager and a QSL card manager. They pay for the QSL cards and are volunteers. I welcome anyone who wishes to badmouth us, because each year our total number of contacts increases, which means that your hot air is just that! BUT it is YOUR hot air so you can blow it at anyone you choose! Just be sure when you are blowing you wear a mask and stand at least 6 ft. away and social distance! My God, every year I have to read about all the sour grapes! Problems? SURE! there is going to be some! Everyone has them! Show me a person who does not and I will show you a saint in Ham heaven! With all this civil unrest, the virus, lock downs, businesses closing and everything else, don't you think that the Colony operators are affected by this too? Yet, the show must go on, weather you like it or not. Participate! or not to participate! That is the question! If you do? Then have fun. If not and are disenfranchised? Well, back to the hot air I guess! Some will fall thru the cracks? yes! If you are one of those who do? And are full of hot air? Then close your crack and deposit your negatives where they belong! In the Toilet, no one wants to hear it. SO REMEMBER one thing! One of these days the shoe will be on the other foot, and I would LOVE to see how you react! I hope better than I do! I hope everyone enjoyed a little SATIRE This morning! :) (OR is it?) Most everyone has more time on their hands now, so we expect a huge participation increase over last year! No matter what the naysayers and Lids try to do (badmouth, carriers, et.et.) You are only hurting yourselves because most rigs have notch filters! :) There will be over 135 operators on this year! You can't be everywhere all of the time! But if negativity and carriers et. is your way of having fun? Go for it! Ignoramus, stupidity, naive, negativity, pie hole, jerk weed, deuce bag, butt wipe, Lid? -PICK ONE OUT! and be the best you can be! :).. I just can't wait to see how low some can go! I will even institute an award for it!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    M1WML and KJ4BFH like this.
  12. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clean sweep with 14. Just need GB13COL and W2Z for them all. Fun getting though the pileups with 100 watts and a dipole. Thanks guy for this, have a great Independence Day.

M1WML, AD4DQ and WJ4U like this.
  13. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

you guys in"0" land have been especially strong. They always do a great job to make things fun.

M1WML likes this.
  14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just LOVE this event!! Been hard at it since yesteday morning. Several were fairly easy on FT8. got 2 on FT4 then went downstairs to try an nab a few on CW. K2K got some of my call, WA6MH, but no Z! I continued to call, but was quickly drowned out and never did get thru. I was most fortunate to work them on 20SSB today!
    Of course there is NO HOPE whatsoever for GB13COL from the West Coast, though I did see alot of EU last night on 20M around 1000Z. Today I got a few more, and am down to K2C, and K2E for the Sweep, plus need the WM3PEN who has been hard to find, now I hear about this W2Z??? news to me!! Never seen any spots on that or sign of them on the FT8 bands. STILL have several days to go.. K2E and K2C are on 20FT8 as I type, but no copy here. I heard K2C very good this morning, so will try again tomorrow morning. K2E is going to be a tough one! VERY VERY POOR PROPAGATION from the West to East Coast. Called both on 20CW this morning, to no avail. I need the full KW and Beam to make it there! Back to Chasing!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    M1WML likes this.
  15. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU KEN for your hard and valiant work each year on the certs!! That must be an incredibly tedious job to get them done. I have all my 13COL certs in frames on the wall here in the house going up the stairs. Each one is beautiful and treasured, and worked hard for!!
    Most of really appreciate your hard work and dedication to this!!!
    Thanks again Ken, my entry will be in the mail as soon as I can finish up

M1WML and K9ASE like this.