ad: QSLWorks-1

Icom IC-705 availability & off grid capability

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N9WZG

N9WZG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's a very good review.
    Especially if your going to be in the outdoors .
    Its pretty amazing it runs off ht batteries and has everything in such a small package.
    If I had the money I'd buy one.

SA5QED likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are talking about the electric grid, OM. By your definition, someone who uses nothing but wood burning heat to survive the winter in a cabin in the woods is on the grid because they didn't make the head of the axe they used to chop the wood from stone. :D

KC1DR, KS4W, SA5QED and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another great video, OM. Thanks.

4. N2NUT

N2NUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another great video. So many Hams love to be defeatist. It will be a great CW rig and even get used in VHF/UHF phone.

NG2J and N3AWS like this.
  5. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian

Thanks for your great reviews. Question: what do you think about the 705 versus the Xiegu G90S? I was in line for the 705 but decided to buy the G90S after a number of good reviews including yours. I’m not sure if I will buy the 705 next year - I like the Xiegu way too much.

6. VE7JMR

VE7JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Relating to use of "off-grid", to quote Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Off-grid - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-the-grid

N3RMC and KJ6WCS like this.
  7. N6PG

N6PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. Great report. I’m looking forward to this radio! I really like my KX2, but I think this will be great. I really enjoy my IC-7300, and I think the waterfall display is a nice addition. The tuner is the only thing missing... but I mostly use a Alex loop now, so maybe it isn’t needed
    73!

8. AB5JB

AB5JB Ham Member QRZ Page

I will keep a watch for this and wander down to JARL HQ in Tokyo when (and when they let us out of quarantine here in Yokohama-Kamakura area ) they obtain the first units of this model for close up review. Maybe I could get some data and video of that to help out.

9. K0OMH

K0OMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares how it was made. The point here is that if power goes out Julian can communicate. I really like Julian's videos and think he does a great job. 73's K0OMH...

SA5QED, KX6F, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. WH6Q

WH6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I will say I always enjoy your videos Julian. Trying to reason with folks like this is not reasonable. He is probably one of the hams looking for batteries during a power failure! 73 Jim WH6Q

11. WA2AVI

WA2AVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanna bet that the next thing Icom brings out is a matching 100W amp!

12. KI7Z

KI7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks fr the update vid, Julian. Keep at it, I enjoy your channels.

13. KI7Z

KI7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

This entire concept of Amateur Radio is service, knowledge, mentoring, and Goodwill. If we all just try one of the three, it is all great. Mixing them, along with politeness, that is a win for everyone!

Julian's videos are done well and contain valuable information. I am forced to operate remote because of noise levels at my home. His information makes doing so rewarding, interesting, and educational. Besides, he does great homework. :)

When you reach age 20 it sort of all comes together. Be patient.

14. KI7Z

KI7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea. 24v, size of a wallet.

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...output pi-net components, associated relays, and ATU only available separately.

W1TRY likes this.