ad: elecraft

Icom IC-705 availability & off grid capability

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont get the "off grid" thing. You can use batteries, you can use solar, you can use a water powered generator. Every thing you use to make the radio work is made "on grid". Energy that is used to make it work produced carbon and pollution and made on grid.

AI6JJ and EA3GNH like this.
  3. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you didn't watch the video. I use off-grid to refer to the radios ability to be powered and charged easily and quickly out in the field. As to your point, I can't control how manufacturers build the energy producing gear we use. However I can use that gear for years on end to create clean energy. This versus the few hours it took to put it together in a factory some place.
    Julian oh8stn

AB9TE, WA7QCC, K7WWH and 27 others like this.
  4. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful Julian, you might become an Icom Guy. What would you do with your other radios? I think this will be a Barn Burner once it is out. Good video.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

5. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in Winnipeg and 100% of our Electric Power is HYDRO. No Pollution no fossil fuels.

K0PIR, KN4KXA, W8KIC and 4 others like this.
  6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

That is one excellent radio ! :cool:
    However I would have liked to see just an HF version with Tuner.
    Most QRP/Low Power/SOTA folk enjoy the HF aspect.
    G3SEA/KH6

N3RMC, MW1CFN and 2E0TWD like this.
  7. AL6U

AL6U Ham Member QRZ Page

Internal tuner and 220 band also would be nice.

KN8DAP, N3BKO and W6SAE like this.
  8. W4XDX

W4XDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so it's power consumption isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The assertion that elecraft needs to upgrade to similar specs I disagree with... But I thinks he's talking about the USB power situation and battery pack perhaps. My KX3 can operate round the clock here in virginia off solar and a 4ah bioenno but it is very energy aware. Good video and either way I think the icom radio looks like it will sell to the casual operator... Not sure it's energy consumption is exactly low enough to lure the hiking type.

W8KIC likes this.
  9. K9RJ

K9RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Having Bluetooth plus the panadaptor is brilliant. Would like to see Bluetooth on other HF capable radios (e.g. FTDX101D, K4 etc.) As for comment about wanting an HF tuner, the T1 ATU from Elecraft would go well with the '705. Each of the alternative QRP rigs have pros & cons, but with all that is built-in to the '705, I would address the power use issue with a slightly larger LiFePO4 battery and solar panel. This is going to be a huge winner like the 7300.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    KD0XL, SA5QED, N3AWS and 2 others like this.
  10. AA3DP

AA3DP Volunteer DX Helper Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Perfect radio,I wish radio with tuner like ICOM 703

11. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

You are not asked to 'get it'. Incredible though it may seem, you can actually choose not to read and respond to things that don't interest you.

Shall we keep you happy by calling it something else - battery-powered field operations? Bit of a mouthful, maybe.

Dislike it all you want. With a plague of RFI infecting the whole inhabited world, planning restrictions, trouble neighbours, and all the frustration and disillusionment we can suffer at home, the future is clearly 'off grid', well away from all of that jazz.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    K8XG, NG2J, SA5QED and 2 others like this.
  12. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

If they put a 'tuner' into it, they would expect us to cough up another £500. Set that against a few quid for a simple, portable manual matching unit, and it all makes much more sense!

W5CJA likes this.
  13. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

And if we could stream Netflix and microwave water for tea that would be great.

F8WBD, W4XDX, W5CJA and 1 other person like this.
  14. N8LRG

N8LRG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A number of hams use QRP radios for IF frequencies to run transverters in the field IE 10Ghz.
    Since this unit has a GPS, it would very nice if it could phase lock the internal oscillator. This would be a huge plus.
    I have other ICOM SDR radios and they have been excellent, especially on the RX side. I have the LDG tuner I used with old QRP rig so tuning is not a problem. Already on the waiting list to get one as I have already sold the FT817.
    Thanks for the many videos, planning to make a LifePo4 pack soon.

73 Phil
    N8LRG

N3RMC likes this.
  15. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sweet, My 12 year old FT-817 is an "Off-Grid" radio! I'll get a LOT MORE for it when I list it on the swapmeet.

N4EEV and WN1MB like this.