ad: MyersEng-1

Record numbers to take UK Foundation exam

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Record numbers to take UK Foundation exam

The RSGB reports that despite a record number of 600 online amateur radio exam slots being made available in June, they are already fully booked!

A post on the RSGB website reads:

In response to the demand for remote invigilation exams, the RSGB is launching a new, automated booking system. It will make each part of the process smoother for applicants and HQ staff. As all 600 exam slots in June have now been filled, the new booking system will go live on 1 June in readiness for booking July exam slots.

Over the next ten days we will share more details about the system and how to use it.

In the meantime, please note that we are not accepting any new bookings via the old application form.

Source: https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/rsg...booking-system-for-remote-invigilation-exams/

Prior to the introduction of remotely-invigilated online exams that people can take from their own home, there were only about 1500 Foundation exams held each year, that equates to just 125 a month, demand is now running at over four-times that level.

Remote-invigilation and Online Training seems to have made the hobby accessible to so many more people for whom the geographically-patchy club-based training and exams were out of reach.

Follow the RSGB on Twitter at
    https://twitter.com/theRSGB

Free online Foundation Training Courses are available from:
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/april/online-training-for-amateur-radio.htm

www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/may/record-numbers-to-take-uk-foundation-exam.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

N3FAA, K0UO and MM0JNL like this.
  2. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am one of those fortunate people who managed to get an exam slot in May and now hold my foundation licence. Being a full time carer (elderly mother with alhzeimer's), attending my nearest club with instruction and examination was not as relaxing as it should be (100 mile round trip). Having a national programme for examinations at foundation level is a marvelous step forward by the RSGB who have done an excellent job of getting this done at such an overwhelming pace in such tough times. If they had been a commercial body we would never see the exams this side of 2025.

Thank you to all involved in making this happen and it is also playing a major part in helping reduce isolation. Indeed, one of the local repeaters is now like a social hub for the locals and not-so locals. Favourable conditions bring in QSO from 100+ miles (2m band).

Thank you once again RSGB for rolling out the exam like this and I must not forget Essex Ham, who have provided an outstanding level of online tuition for nothing more than a voluntary donation to the club. Pete M0PSX is doing a fabulous job with his team and deserves recognition for his efforts. Please visit https://www.essexham.co.uk for more details.

George MM7DSV

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    GM3VAL, WB3EYB, M0LEP and 17 others like this.
  3. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is super to see the growth in Ham Radio!

I recall, back in 1970's I lived in New Jersey, and had to travel to New York City, and go to the old rickety FCC building to take not only 5 exams and 3 code exams (Ham radio), but the 9 Commercial FCC licenses...The head sets for the code exam were a classic! Although a pain, it was satisfying, I did not always pass, I had to keep going back the FCC building...I paid more in tolls, than my first Ham set!

All good! More Hams the better!

NN2X, Tom

N0KRE likes this.
  4. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is promotion of online testing, not news, IMHO.

G1ZRN likes this.
  5. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

so rolling out a significantly expanded means of assessment and a significant expansion in numbers taking a licence is not newsworthy...

NI4D, WB3EYB, MW1CFN and 5 others like this.
  6. M7VXR

M7VXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news but the lack of doing the Practical element of the 'normal' Foundation Licence may yet prove to be a problem to the new potential passers.

7. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look up the post history of this account, and it quickly becomes evident what side of the fence the user lands on. This is a proponent of online testing...which is fine. But this goes beyond a news post.

8. N6ATF

N6ATF Ham Member QRZ Page

Parallels the US... the demand for fully-remote exams was sublimated because it seemed nobody would provide them... until SARS-COV-2.

G7NFP likes this.
  9. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

That's good news in my book as l had no idea that those online exams were so popular.

So many thanks to the OP for posting this "NEWS" (not promotion).

The reality is that anyone with no interest in ham radio won't be on this forum reading this thread.

I will be more than happy to talk to all those new hams. And like many other hams from the old school, l will also be happy to offer any help or advice to anyone who needs it.

WB3EYB, 4X1ST, NG9F and 2 others like this.
  10. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, no real need for that.

I am sitting with a Full licence & l never done any practical assessments. Neither did the OP.

Having been told what those practical assessments consist of, l would consider them to be an insult to my intelligence.

2E0NYH and N6ATF like this.
  11. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome News ! :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

MM0JNL likes this.
  12. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be interested to see why you consider this to be the case and your rationale

MM0JNL likes this.
  13. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be interesting to know the age profile of the people taking the Foundation License, as getting younger people into the hobby is of paramount importance. Whilst many may hum and hah about the online assesment, I think the Foundation License has proved its worth time and again when it comes to getting school children into the hobby. At a time when interest in digimodes is booming, this serves as a salutory reminder that, whilst the growth in digimodes is important, they cannot alone save amateur radio from its gradual decline. Making more bandwidth available for digimodes is undoubtedly the future, but it will all be for nothing as long as it is virtually impossible to get younger people, and in particular the under 10s, licensed and active on the [HF] bands, as it still is in so many countries. The Foundation License proves that low power - and wide access - is the way to approach this problem. Certain digimode enthusiasts (who shall remain nameless) insisting that CW is overprivileged would do well to take note: bandwidth is not much use without someone to transmit on it...
    73 de OE6FEG / M0FEU
    Matt

MM0JNL, 2E0NYH and 2E0OZI like this.
  14. M7VXR

M7VXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Because how do we know that the new 'passers' are au fait with things such as how to SWR an antenna? Adjust the output power of a transceiver to both suit their licence entitlement and /or speak to someone locally using minimal power ? Adjust and tune an Antenna using a Tuning Unit?

Some newcomers to the hobby may never have been near a transmitter and suddenly armed with a Foundation licence 'Pass' and not sure of what to do, the practical elements shown to the novice by an experienced 'Ham' will at least ensure some basic level of operating competency.

That is my 'rationale'.

I note that you do not show your allocated callsign (if any).

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  15. M7GHS

M7GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was due to take the Foundation in early April 2020, but it was cancelled due to the Covid -19 issue.

I had already done my practical and was all set to go and was extremely dissapointed that I could not do it and there was no indication on when I could.

I was so relieved to hear they were doing it online and now I am a licenced operator from the 20th May 2020.

I think the RSGB are doing a good job to get so many interested in this now, it has taken me 37 years to finally get round to it, I just hope it won't take another 37 years to do the Intermediate and Advanced, both of which will I hope also take place online.

VE3GCX, MM0JNL, 4X1ST and 5 others like this.