ad: wmr-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. May 13, 2020.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, May 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. May 13, 2020.

W2KG, JF1IRQ, AC7DD and 3 others like this.
  2. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

MAY 13, 2020 --national day greeting --vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

3. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess my date to be on the USS New Jersey in July is canceled . Was suppose to be there on the 9th of July to work the N.J.'s amateur radio.

4. WX4US/SK2022

WX4US/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of the cancellation. I was looking forward to this year's event as a sign of some normalcy. Stay safe and I will look forward to future events.

5. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad day when you wouldn't be safe even on a US battleship.

W2KG, K0UO, K7TTN and 1 other person like this.
  6. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think the operators would be in any more danger than during flu season. Probably much less in my opinion. But I guess the organizers need to cover themselves and not take chances, I can't say that I blame them. It just sucks to see all the traditional things, special events, sports events, graduations, you name it, shut down because of an over blown virus threat. Just my two cents.

KC1DR, N4DVB and N4AHO like this.
  7. N9FC

N9FC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If a lone ham is on the ship operating that shouldn't really be a problem. I guess wise politicians who are wiser than all us mere mortals think it's a bad idea.

8. K3KIC

I think it's more likely blanket orders in NJ by gov and not debatable. Still with some creativity a couple people could go on the ship and set up a station that could be run remote and still transmit from the ship.

N9FC likes this.
  9. K9JPT

K9JPT Ham Member QRZ Page

What an out of the box idea!

N9FC likes this.
  10. K9JPT

K9JPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow...I responded to this thread only two days ago and the Battleship New Jersey decided to talk to me! Well it did to my APRS iGate. See attached image dated 18 May. Truly amazing! Seems like everyone has a role to play no matter how big or small!

Attached Files:

11. AA6BD

AA6BD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask the 13 sailors on the USS Theodore Roosevelt that have tested positive for Coronavirus-19 a second time about how safe it is on a ship.

12. K3KIC

Being on a naval ship could be a blessing or a curse. Some ships at sea without any exposure would be very safe while once a crew member is infected it could be a very unsafe place. I certainly appreciate the risks those guys take.

13. W2KG

W2KG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"over blown virus threat"???? The death toll from the "over blown virus" here in New Jersey is now over 10,000. Where you live maybe it is "over blown", but here it's the real thing.

14. AB5DR

AB5DR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a member of the USS New Jersey during Vietnam. As an Electronics Technician First Class, I got to hang around in Radio Central, which is where all the incoming/outgoing message traffic passed through. One fond memory was listening to "Wolfman Jack" broadcasting in Memphis remotely to their studio in Del Rio, Texas, then piped across the border to Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico, location of the Ultra Powerful 100,000 watt Mexican AM radio station XERF 1570KHz transmitter. Imagine "Wolfman Jack" howling off the coast of Vietnam. No wonder we were at war. That was one powerful AM transmitter.

I was part of the re-commissioning of the New Jersey at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. Going through the Panama Canal was a tight squeeze, but we made it. Upon crossing the Equator, as a seasoned "Shellback" we got to administer the seagoing traditional right-of-passage on first timers. The majority of the crew were "Pollywogs." They had no idea what this ritual had in store for them. In the end it was a day of fun that boosted morale. The highlight of the time onboard the USS New Jersey off the coast of Vietnam was when comedian Bob Hope and his entourage, which included the female group called the "Gold Diggers" visited the ship just before Christmas to entertain the crew. Thanks again Mr. Hope. We'll always love you.

After being discharged, many years later I attended a reunion here in San Diego, which was sponsored by the USS New Jersey Battleship Association. I joined the association and was a member up until the USS New Jersey was moved from the West coast back to New Jersey to become a museum ship. Visiting the USS New Jersey once more is now a top item on my "bucket list."
    I still have in excellent condition, an original USS New Jersey "Dreadnought 68-69" cruisebook. It was a great ship with a great crew. We did our part.

AB1ZJ and KC1DR like this.
  15. K2EL

K2EL Ham Member QRZ Page

OM, I beg to differ come visit in Queens , NY. See the body count near Elmhurst hospital. Check my friends funeral home to live it. 73s