ad: portazero-1

$12 Ham Radio Power Supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB1THM, Apr 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8GQ

K8GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the PL-18 version. Now I have to work up the nerve to de-solder that tiny chip resistor and bridge it. My FT-840 will tolerate 12.3 v but I doubt my FTDX1200 will.

2. K8GQ

Looks like I have the HSTNS-PL18 version. Now just have to work up the nerve to de-solder that tiny chip resistor and then bridge it.

3. N8SQT

N8SQT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered one on Ebay for $15.
    Curious - do they need to be the HSTNS-PD18? There were some HSTNS-PL18s for $18 / 2 units.
    ... Just read the post above mine. Curious how that'll work out.

4. N9BSV

N9BSV Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Modified a PD22B. Works fine with my FT990, but my 920 doesn't like 12.3 VDC. Power output drops about 10 watts, which is not a big deal, but display dims on key down. I've just ordered a PL18 to mod to 13.6.

Anyone know anything about moding the 22?

6. K4SUE

K4SUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Should read "works fine with my FT900.

7. K8GQ

I have the PL18 and that resistor chip to remove is so tiny that I won't even attempt it but you might be better at it than me.

8. W5HEH

W5HEH Ham Member QRZ Page

GR8 Idea when they work ,
    i purchased a well reviewed Supply touted with no RF on CB OR HAM Radios. The owner told me that Switchers are sensitive - what utter bull- CYA . Like we are required to add Ferrites at our expense !
    Had plenty of Noise on 40m, stopped there , returned it , i had to pay to ship back.
    Found a 50amp Astron Regulated used Supply on Ebay , for 113. shipped Total ,yah they Sold out Fast . No Issues , Runs my TS480HX 200watts no ISSUES no Noise .
    When i go POTA Portable i take my DYi Headway Batt. Pack .
    Maybe it depends on your specific Shack on how these type of Supplies, will or will not provide Good Clean Current with no RF, for me someone has to prove it .

9. W9HBH

W9HBH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This video again confirms the reason I quit watching a lot of youtube instruction videos.
    Quit using you smart phone and get a camera and tripod way way to much movement.
    Causes motion sickness and you get lost on whats going on.

10. K5SEU

K5SEU Ham Member QRZ Page

what's the preferred method for attaching the binding posts?

11. W5DPH

W5DPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wouldn't this fry a computer as well? Is there not protection on the DC side of this supply? I don't understand why any reputable manufacturer would make a power supply that would fry the computer or in our case, a radio, with a failure of its power supply. Please explain.

WT3S, K0PV/SK2023 and K8AI like this.
  12. N9BSV

N9BSV Ham Member QRZ Page

Drill a hole and. Solder to the pad

K5SEU likes this.
  13. K8GQ

I was successful modifying the PL-18. I got it to 13.85 but had to dial it back to 13.5 because the radio and power supply would shut off when I keyed at about 80 watts. Now all is good.

W2JON likes this.
  14. KM4OOD

KM4OOD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I found this link on another post regarding these mods, https://sector.biz.ua/docs/power_supply_schemes/power_supply_schemes.phtml#list
    this link is a Russian site with Schematic PDF's of these power supplies. I just ordered one, I am going to build one and see how it goes. Perhaps, those looking for this information can take advantage of it. I used Google Chrome Browser translation tool to navigate to the correct schematic. ;)

15. NB4R

NB4R Ham Member QRZ Page

As with always be careful what you order. Check with the seller and see if what is in the picture for the ad is the actual power supply you will receive. I ordered this: s-l1600.jpg

and received this:

20200506_064730.jpg
    Technically they are the the same "Spares part number" but two different models. The one I received is a much newer model and I've not been able to find any details on it anywhere "so far" The boards are not the same and on the on I got you have to look at the components through a high power magnifying glass to see them. For $6.95 I can't gripe. Just be aware.