ad: QSLWorks-1

Herb Schoenbaum KV4FZ

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W0PV, May 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That stuff happened and was part of his life, and a big deal. I don't see any controversy based on what the man did.

Leaving it out is a whitewash, pure and simple.

K3BR, KQ9J and K8PG like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

When did you leave the United States? Recently?

AK5B likes this.
  3. WN1MB

How about respect for the departed? What purpose did including that in the "obit" serve?

AK5B and KA2FIR like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, correct me if wrong, but Herbie was convicted with a felony involving black boxes, or some other allegedly illegal use of telecom/phone lines. That is why his FCC license was revoked. He made Herculean efforts to show he was of sufficient moral fiber to get that FCC decision removed.

Whether he was set up, or did something wrong, is not material to me. The point is he was off the air because of that felony. He worked hard to get that FCC license back. If someone has more info on that disposition, feel free to jump in.

I liked Herbie. I didn't care whether he had a felony or not.

Chip W1YW

N4FZ likes this.
  5. WX7P

All of that stuff, like PV's commentary are opinion. Leaving out the incident (it happened) is a whitewash and spin.

W1YW likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the ARRL web post and I don't see it quite as negative or biased as John (or others). Frankly, Herbie did something amazing--he convinced the FCC to reverse a key decision on license revocation. That, in itself, is pretty much a rarity!

If Herbie didn't have a great moral character we wouldn't be discussing him at all. IF he made a mistake, it didn't indicate some chronic flaw in his character.

N4FZ and AK5B like this.
  7. WX7P

The incident happened. He was convicted. He was a high profile guy in ham radio. How COULD you leave it out?

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why I mention it. I actually think more highly of him for his selfless efforts AFTER the 'incident'. That, to me, shows the real man.

Should I think 'you' (generic 'you') are trash because you once got a speeding ticket? Heck, THAT's breaking the law...does it make you evil?

That's the level of vicitimization I saw by the 'incident'.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    N4FZ and WX7P like this.
  9. WX7P

I didn't see the ARRL obit as biased either. I don't think his offense was "highly controversial" at the time either. That's what prompted my response.

Agreed, at his point there is no need to re-litigate the case or examine the outcome. However, to leave it completely unaddressed is simply wrong.

N4FZ and W1YW like this.
  10. WN1MB

Easy: you take the high road and simply leave it out.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have my arrest history included in my obituary. Call it a quirk...

KP4SX, N4FZ, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Before NJ0F goes off on another rant on me allegedly disrespecting Herbie, you don't have to read very carefully to see I liked Herbie a lot and respected him. I wrote him a nice letter , oh, 6 years ago when he gave me KV4 on 160m. I told him how great he was to move beyond the black days of the early 90's and how happy I was to see him on the air and having fun.

He wrote back and sent me a special KV4 QSL.

Watta guy:)

N4FZ, AK5B, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I challenge us all here to come up with another example where the FCC RESCINDED a decision on revocation-- based on moral grounds.

Ask yourself: If YOU had to show that, would you have the same positive record as Herbie? Could YOU make that case?

Hmmmm?

N4FZ, AK5B and W0PV like this.
  13. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

I move that we end this discussion of past acts, FCC actions, etc., and just stick with our FOND remembrances. If you have none then be silent. I'm a firm believer that the sum total of a man's life needs to be weighed against the worst thing that he ever did. Unless, and only unless, the sum total of a man's life is less, then it MIGHT be appropriate but I sense none of that here.

Show some respect for the dead and drop this disrespectful discussion right now. Or, we'll simply erase your account. We'll make some notes for your future obituary, i.e. "He had no respect for the departed and thus doesn't deserve any now".

I wish eternal peace for Herb, who I don't recall ever having met.

-fred

KP4SX, N4FZ, WB9YTG and 9 others like this.
  14. W5CTK

W5CTK Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember how he would constantly jam the Maritime mobile net. The FCC agreed, and suspended his license. He did ultimately [ sadly] got relicensed and got his former call sign back. His legacy on ham radio forever and rightfully so, tarnished.

KD5XB and WB9YTG like this.
  15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

On this one I respectfully and mildly disagree with Chip, Janet, and others, and wholeheartedly agree with Fred.

I have just one more comment on that subject.

Obviously Herbs conviction may still be a "big deal" for some, with long memories and an axe to grind, even at the ARRL, and for those that chose to ignore "the rest of the story". The League could have shortened the black mark and mentioned the controversy.

The ARRL have always been stalwart supporters of the "service nets" for good reasons, and some bad, and Herbie stepped on a lot of toes trying to push back on commercial or private abuses of ham priveledges including those perpetrated by the Jonestown cult.

In the grand scheme it was microscopic deal for Herbie. Despite losing KV4FZ for awhile, his station QTH remained very active through licensed guests eager to learn from a master.

Who knows how many contest QSO's were actually made by an OM with a familiar fist supervised by a temporary control op. ;)

Meanwhile outside of radio Herb apparently received a huge outpouring of support from local officials and even those who were involved in what he alleged to be a phony politically based frame-up railroading of a case.

"Many on the local scene recognized the truth. The Trial Judge, The
    Honorable Ann Thompson, wrote a letter of support and praise on Herb's
    behalf. The Governor of the Virgin Islands did not simply restore Herb's
    government career. He elevated Herb to a position of higher authority with
    more responsibility to the island and a significantly higher salary. He was
    also employed, as a part-time field representative, on the congressional
    staff of newly elected Congressman Frazer."

N4FZ, K8BZ, N0NB and 2 others like this.