ad: CQMM-1

WWV Celebrates 100 Years of Public Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK8O, Apr 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK8O

KK8O Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all - just a heads up that tomorrow WWV celebrates 100 years of public broadcasting. It made it's first scheduled public broadcasts on May 1, 1919 with a Victrola connected to a transmitter.

To celebrate 100 years of public broadcasts, WWV ARC is activating WW0WWV for the month of may. There will be a special QSL printed for this event which you will be able to request via OQRS.

For more history about WWV see A Century of WWV an excellent paper documenting the history of WWV, written by one of the current engineers who works there, Glenn Nelson.

More information about the event can be found on the WW0WWV QRZ page.

[​IMG]

W0BTU, W9KEY, KF4ZKU and 8 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah we did that last year in WWV had a special event station setup in Fort Collins
    You're probably a member of that Northern Colorado amateur radio club, a great bunch of guys

W6UEI likes this.
  3. KK8O

KK8O Ham Member QRZ Page

I was part of the team who organized the 100th anniversary of WWV (the assignment of the callsign to the NBS). This is celebrating, specifically, the first scheduled public broadcasts from WWV. I am not personally a member of NCARC, but I am a member of WWVARC and Fort Collins CW.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, if WWV made it's first public broadcasts on 1 May 1919, wouldn't this year (May 2020) be the 101st anniversary?

All kidding aside, I just looked at that paper on the centennial. The year in your first post IS a typo, the first broadcast was 1 May 1920.

W3AMT likes this.
  5. KK8O

KK8O Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that catch

6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

A Red Green Fan

WB4TAA likes this.
  7. KC5NOA

KC5NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

At least WWV lists sunspots and the number,QRZ just says we are in deep solar minimum. And you thought fake news was in just main stream media.

8. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee I hope it is a QSL sized QSL that I could display. These special event stations that publish "certificates" that are the size of a letter take up too much space if you even could display them. I work stations and they say OK, send a gigantus envelope SASE and we will send you a certificate, I pass.

KB1QHI likes this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

According to Wikipedia, "WWV was first established in 1919 by the Bureau of Standards in Washington, D.C. It has been described as the oldest continuously-operating radio station in the United States, and NIST celebrated WWV's centennial on October 1, 2019".

You guys are a year late and a couple of dollars short, but it's OK. I just hope the government keeps WWV operational for another hundred years.

W0BTU likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

John, John, John...

The centenary of the STATION was last October. This is the centenary of start of BROADCASTING from the station.

I know. It’s subtle, but there is a difference.

W0BTU, KF4ZKU, WA5PCR and 5 others like this.
  11. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Call sign WWV was assigned in 1919 to the Bureau of Standards. They were broadcasting music and farm report signals from Arlington heights in 1920. The Navy building is still there, across from National airport. So WWV actually began time and frequency transmissions in 1923, so technically I suppose we still have a couple of years.:)

12. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10MHz WWV...my old, useful and reassuring friend. Thank you WWV and may you be on the air for another 100 years providing hams everywhere with a calibration frequency, a time check and a propagation check.

W4LJ, K7DIP, K9KXW and 1 other person like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

With due respect, 100th broadcast anniversaries all seem a bit dicey to me. To wit: "WWV celebrates 100 years of public broadcasting." By who? BTW, there is no 'private broadcasting'--it wouldn't be 'broadcasting, so I assume that means 'public' --as in government funded??

For example, we all know of Alexanderson's 1905 'Silent Night' broadcast; some know of Lee DeForest's broadcast history , far before what became WWV. Then of course, there is KDKA, and so on.

I am not sure what it is that WWV did FIRST on this 100th year, and would like to know what that is, exactly.

Chip W1YW

W8KIC likes this.
  14. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The USN has been broadcasting to its ships and stations far longer than WWV has existed. So yes there are other types of broadcasting.

I think this thread becomes a parsing of the fine definition of the wording. More precise wording: "WWV has been dedicated to broadcasting time and other information to the public continuously, longer than any other station".

KA2MWS and W8KIC like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously I know that Bill:). I wasn't looking for confirmation on facts already stated.

What I am asking is: "what's the big deal, that we 'celebrate' WWV from 1920?"

Chip W1YW