ad: MyersEng-1

Field testing a portable delta loop

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2020-04-28_09-43-56.jpg

WD4ELG, K0PB, WQ8S and 11 others like this.
  2. WA5RRT

WA5RRT Ham Member QRZ Page

jeff here I give a thumbs up on this I have been working with antennas for years and a delta loop is a great ant. to use at low elevation so being able to deploy in the field is great likes your setup 73s from the swamp lands of Louisiana wa5rrt ps hope to hear you on the bands

W7KWT and KC5HWB like this.
  3. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi ,
    It looks good never seen it and no spec any where I am not a digital guy would like to know what all can it do freq wise,I do a lot of camping
    and traveling with Caravan need sizes to see how can use like the idea but need more inflo on it,Thanks ,Pieter

4. KE8FWJ

KE8FWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian,

Thanks for highlighting this gem. The disparity in results between the vertical and the delta is interesting. Keeping in mind the feedpoint is merely inches off the ground. Although it would also be very appealing to many who prefer a single element loop antenna as a base station solution. Hoping Chameleon can also morph this into a base station option. Perhaps even an option to include balanced line as a feedline.

These options aren't available yet here in the USA.

5. N4ZN

N4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  6. VK2EVB

VK2EVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Julian, Another interesting portable option with an easy setup. 73 Peter

7. N0JX

N0JX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Julian for another expert level video! I have enjoyed every video you have posted and look forward to your next one. I don't have a use for the antenna you profiled but your video makes me want to experiment!
    Bruce
    N0JX

8. K8RHH

K8RHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for another informative piece! Seems as if it works pretty well, especially in NVIS regime, which is useful. Seems a bit awkward and top heavy, but manageable. Weight? For portable ops, needs to come with some sort of carry bag or at least protective sleeves that can go into or lash onto, a backpack, to keep those thin-wall extendible whips from harm while en route to the portable QTH. Did I miss how it is tuned?

9. KI6WJ

KI6WJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love your antenna reports with the wspr visuals. It added to my thought that a simple wire on supports or hung from a tree formed as a delta will work. And it certainly says dont disregard the simple vertical. I use mine with a mag mount on top of a vehicle and works Hot!

KI6WJ

10. K0PB

K0PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video very much. I would love to build one for 20. 73 - K0PB

11. W8JH

W8JH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ already sells the 17 foot telescoping whip and it can be adjusted to be a true quarter wave vertical on any band 6-20 m.

The simple math for a quarter wave vertical is already done for you here:

https://www.eham.net/article/25935

W8JH