ad: wmr-1

$12 Ham Radio Power Supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB1THM, Apr 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3VMM

N3VMM Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the video on the HP 1200W G6 HOT-PLUG POWER SUPPLY. The fan is very loud on it when it is on for over an hour with a load on it. Might consider it but have to reasearch this. But defiantly going to purchase one of the power supplies in the above .

2. KD8GZE

KD8GZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a link to a set of postings about power supply conversions that are "well known"; I used this to guide my initial experiments:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1292514-How-to-convert-Server-Power-Supplies

K1ZBT likes this.
  3. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool , you need a crowbar circuit in there

if something fails it will send all that AC voltage into the radio...TOAST

Ive converted many computer supplies for ham shack accessories over the years

4. N3VMM

Where is everyone getting there resistors at? Thought I had some but I do not.

5. N3VMM

Good to know. What place do you purchase your crowbar circuits and resistors from? Thought I had some unable to locate them. So decided to purchase instead. Thanks

6. KD8GZE

KD8GZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a potentiometer to set the output voltage. You adjust it until you find the level at which the over-voltage protection shuts the supply down, dial it back a little, then remove and reapply AC to reset it.

7. NB4R

NB4R Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to thank you guys for these videos and ideas you present here. I have been electronics for forty years. Although I have been in and around electronic apparatuses for that long I have been a ham for five years. I'm learning about the hobby. I have thought about buying one the switching power supplies I have seen in several videos. I also have utilized a couple of old computer power supplies for different things. I didn't realize that one could pick up a server power supply this cheaply. I just bought a pair of HP switchers that I can combine to obtain 76 amps for twenty dollars. I know that this is old hat for you guys that have been the hobby for a long time. Us OLD newer hams and young new hams appreciate the heads up for these type of ideas, Thanks!

KD8SEZ likes this.
  8. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Been using one of these for the better part of 10 years. Recently hooked up the O-Scope to see which PS provides cleaner power -- this one or the DM-30T. Surprisingly, the Dell PS is cleaner than the HAM radio purpose-built PS. I have it mounted under my desk in a homebrew caddy so I can slide it in and out without disconnecting anything.

I never modified mine to go any higher than the 12.3V, and I do see a performance difference between that and the DM-30T when on high power, but I only have it hooked up to the VHF/UHF rig at the moment, which doesn't seem to be affected.

Attached Files:

9. N2OTK

N2OTK Ham Member QRZ Page

KD8SEZ likes this.
  10. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

If drawing close to maximum current from the supply on a 120 VAC circuit, it would be advisable to use a 16 AWG IEC power cord rather than using a computer power cord that usually only has 18 AWG conductors.

11. K8GQ

K8GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So how could I get it to at least 13v so I could use my 100 watt transceiver?

12. K8GQ

K8GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

that was years ago, I would look at mouser parts etc, good luck

15. KF6AJM

KF6AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Lord almighty... Let's shut down the whole 12.2, 13.5, 13.8 debate and concerns about "exact voltages" right now by saying this: If you knew what voltage ranges were being provided to your mobile radios by your vehicles, you'd blow a gasket in an epic way. RADIOS WERE BUILT TO OPERATE OVER A REASONABLE RANGE OF INPUT VOLTAGES. 13.8 is a "nominal" voltage, most radios can probably operate without any issue on 11-16 volts. What is the error factor on the device you're using to measure the voltage, for that matter?

Thank you and have a nice day.

Chris/AJM