ad: CQMM-1

Please Respect the Frequencies for SSTV and QRP

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by CT2KFQ, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you use 'Corona' and 'good beer' in the same sentence? :p

M1WML, N0YPD, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  2. KS5I

KS5I Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys, lets not forget we do this for fun. For me, its been fun since 1967 and still is. I've been chased off 14.233 for running ssb when there were no other signals being heard. But I moved and moved on. That was probably 30 years ago. I have moved off a net frequency after having had a qso there for nearly an hour because I was told there was a net about to begin. The control operator politely asked if he could just make an announcement that the net would be on a nearby frequency this day. I said, no, take this one. I can move. Now, if I hear a rare dx station calling cq on 14.233 I'm probably gonna answer him if I hear no one else is using the frequency....though I might remind him the frequency is normally used for SSTV.

Its all about respecting others and hopefully they will respect me. Let's all have fun.

M1WML, WD5GWY, WQ4G and 8 others like this.
  3. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

NO! But you can use Corona and equine urine in the same sentence.

M1WML, K0UO and WR2E like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Different Uncle Charlie, though.

M1WML likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You just did... doesn’t mean that it is, though... :cool::cool:

M1WML and WR2E like this.
  6. W4IPC

W4IPC Ham Member QRZ Page

this is so stupid lol, SSTV does not own the frequency. if i ask if it is in use and noone responds then i will transmit!

M1WML likes this.
  7. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bet you 30 seconds after you start transmitting some SSTV will open up on top of you. At least that's what I've observed over the years.

M1WML, KC2IEB, W4POT and 2 others like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading some of the replies tends to support the notion some folks can speak out of other locations than their mouth.

M1WML, VK6APZ/SK2022, K2AMF and 2 others like this.
  9. W4IPC

W4IPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that is what they do. They are very rude operators who have no care for others.

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  10. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally have experienced someone start calling CQ while I was receiving an image. There was a QSO in progress, but they couldn't hear it. So when I responded, they probably thought I was a rude operator.
    Yes, there are a bunch of inconsiderate people on .230, but at least it's all in one spot. Like FT8. Would you rather have it spread all over the band?

11. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

No.

But get ready... it will eventually. It seems our frequencies are up for grabs -- not only from commercial interests but also from ignorant fellow operators who have no knowledge of established bandplans.

Enter the "new normal"of amateur radio.

Sad...

M1WML, WQ4G and K0UO like this.
  12. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? SSTV has been in the one location for 40+ years. .230, sometimes .233 - but basically nowhere else! 7.171 has been abandoned, along with all the other bands. The only other spot I've ever heard it is 145.8 - from NASA!

13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very true. I used the Robot 400 in the 70s on the same frequency, 14.230.
    [​IMG]

M1WML, KC2IEB and K0UO like this.
  14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree we need to respect band plans, but you use the word rules, they are not protected by any rules.

M1WML and W4POT like this.
  15. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. Really.

Case in point: RTTY used to be in one location on 40m from 7070 kHz and up for 50+ years. Now? During a RTTY contest, they're operating in the entire CW subband.

The "times they are a-changin,'" and you better get a grip on the unfortunate reality of that.

This ain't your grandpa's ham radio anymore.

M1WML likes this.