ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Shack Power Strategy & Buddipole Power +

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Apr 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

YO3IPR, WA6QGH, W6HFP and 3 others like this.
  2. K5JM

K5JM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been searching for a more integrated shack power supply solution that will let me use my portable power supply setup with grid power. Are there any provisions for fuses or would one just put in line fuses as appropriate on the outputs? I understand it lets you current limit the A and B sides Great review Julian!

N3RMC and OH8STN like this.
  3. OH8STN

Thanks for the feedback and question.
    I just use inline fuses in the shack. Each individual peice of gear has its own inline fuse on its power cable. Other than that, no other requirements or provisions.
    Hope this helps
    Julian oh8stn

N3RMC and K5JM like this.
  4. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure looks like this kind of set up should be default for all ham shacks. Because..... when the power goes out so the needs to be prepared becomes mandatory.

OH8STN likes this.
  5. OH8STN

Totally agreed. Unfortunately the feedback on the channel suggests many operators aren't you thinking of robust power and Communications, until after they've experienced blackouts, wildfires, tornadoes or hurricanes, ...
    Hopefully we can inspire a few to think about this topic.

Julian oh8stn

N6DZK and K5JM like this.
  6. KE0DM

KE0DM Ham Member QRZ Page

good job!

OH8STN likes this.
  7. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What a fantastic setup that is, thank you for the video, chock full of great information and for sharing your extensive knowledge in your presentations. I will seek out the video of the Generator build you mentioned.

OH8STN likes this.
  8. AE6SS

AE6SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian, great review. Much appreciated. I'm impressed with the thinking that went into this product and will likely get one based on your review. Keep up the great work! 73

9. N3RMC

N3RMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! As funds allow I'm building out my shack's power system to be more robust and versatile, and this gave me some ideas.

10. N2NUT

N2NUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many hams think that their emergency power is adequate with a lead acid battery. Using the LiFePO4, in my case, 100 amps, and a couple of solar panels offers unlimited energy to the shack. If you already have some management in your shack, Buddiepole offers a solar charging controller that works pretty well also. I gave up on Lead Acid and went for the Battleborn. You get 5000+ charges and a ten year warranty. As always, your videos are great, little comment, a lot of information. Thanks

11. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is human nature. While I have got a battery back up I don't have it in line. Much less have it charged all the time. I appreciate that outlines the need for readiness given the mission of this hobby. So I think about this now and maybe get to doing something about it in the near future. The world it seems is falling apart. Maybe the unfolding of new foreboding events of history. Natural disasters versus man made. I recall the ham who was in Kuwait after Iraq invaded or the ham in the Falkland Islands after Argentina invaded. In any event an attitude of readiness for whatever entropic changes be they political or natural. WJ2L/4 Bill

2E0TWD and N3RMC like this.
  12. WB6TOU

WB6TOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I use one of those just like you outlined without solar. I use lead acid and as far as I am concerned, cost per watt hour is all that matters. If you need 40 amps, you don't have to worry about weight. You are probably not mobile. If weight is an issue, buy the lithium iron cells. (I converted the 24 volt supply for my wife's scooter to 12 volts. After knee surgery, it was mine!)

I use a cheap ($20) switching power supply to supply my 40 amp system. The rf noise is a little annoying on 80 meters but of no consequence. On 160 meters it it a real bother and I just unplug the power supply and run on battery to get quiet. On 40 meters and up, the rf noise is nothing.

And warranty is a dream. My first buddypole died within a year and the upgraded replacement was quickly sent. The replacement was sent before he had the dead one, nice.

If we have another power outage that takes out the repeater again, no problem. We have started a simplex net and I will have power. Backup power seems more important on local issues and so, 2 meters is my plan. Not sure when HF will be called upon for a real emergency but even then, I have a solar panel with regulator to charge the batteries one at a time and a gas generator until I run out of fuel. Besides, I am too old to pretend I am one of the Wolverines from the movies so, no picking up my guns, ammo, radios, tents, food, camo, infrared goggles, etc and making a run for it. I'm going to be sitting at home in my shack as it is. Probably eating cheetos.

Dave
    WB6TOU

2E0TWD and N3RMC like this.
  13. VK2EVB

VK2EVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great review, very interesting to see the ideas of others re back up power. I only have two 110ah 12 volt batteries in parallel being charged from a 200 watt solar panel but it runs my APRS digipeater 24/7 and Digital voice repeater quite happily. By simply switching circuit breaker I can run my shack transceivers but I am interested in converting totally to solar power eventually. Keep up the good work, 73 Peter

N3RMC likes this.
  14. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the idea and functions. I have a totally modular power setup with about 3-4 options for both battery and solar solutions. I don't keep it all in line since I don't have a permanent place for it but its ready in minutes.
    Good video!
    David

N3RMC likes this.