ad: wmr-1

From Radio Scouting: West Point Special Event Station W2P Cancelled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Apr 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Due to the current COVID-19 safeguards issued by the Federal and State government, it is with great regret we must cancel the West Point Annual Scout Camporee which was to be on April 25th this year at the US Military Academy at West Point. A Special Event Station, W2P, has been operating at this event for the last few years and was planning a terrific on-air presence this year after being wiped out by a tornado at last year's event.

For the safety of the hundreds of Cadets and thousands of Scouts and adult leaders that make up the annual Camporee the Scoutmaster's Council at WP MA have decided to cancel the event this year.

Hopefully next year will bring solutions to this assault on humanity and we will put on the best event ever.
    Thank You for your past participation,

The operators of W2P

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. WF2N

WF2N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

James, very sorry to hear. I was looking forward to attending again (hopefully without the tornado this time)! Maybe next year.

3. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I love to hear scouts on the air . I earned badges for signaling with semaphores and cw code. Also electricity. Loads of fun , exciting to get on the air.
    In the years past I've heard several scouts on side band .
    I am not giving up on the scouts with special event camp outs. I will be looking for more and will miss this year.
    Accolades to all support staff and troop Leaders...

VE3EEI and WF2N like this.
  4. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about you all, but I am getting pretty sick and tired of hearing the word "cancelled"... I'll sure be glad when this virus hoo-haa is over.

VE3EEI likes this.
  5. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So will the ones who are already sick.....

1 person likes this.
  6. KB2FMH

You have that right Darrell. I am very involved in Scouting in NYC and many of our members, youth and adult, have been stricken. All of the planned events, especially the summer camp season, have been cancelled and staff have been furloughed.
    I also teach at a technical trade school which has had all classes scrapped and the annual graduation in May is off too. But, all that means nothing compared to doing our best to ensure the safety of all those involved and those they would impact if exposed. and for those we know, and don't know, who have been infected, we can only pray they survive and bounce back without much suffering.
    In other words, we'll all be glad when it's behind us and the cancelled things are back on.

PY3JSA and K7LZR like this.
  7. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Following other QRZ blogs and seeing how some folks argue for and against the correlation of normally unrelated events, such as earthquakes and propagation, how long will it be before someone deduces that this West Point Camporee is attracting natural disasters.

8. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Bummer on the cancellation.

I loved semaphore. The best part was sending "curse words" back and forth with the camp counselors. ;)

9. KB2FMH

If this cancelled weekend has nice weather Jason, I will be very pissed! But of course, it will be a great weekend because that's how things go with Scout events.

WF2N and AK5CT like this.
  10. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I support your opinion , I am of the same mind.
    Thankyou for expressing it.
    best regards

11. WF2N

WF2N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, James, you were right! It would've made for a fantastic weekend up there. Let's hope for great weather like this next year.

VE3EEI likes this.