ad: portazero-1

HR2.0 - Parks on the Air Activation K-2996 Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first video of a Parks on the Air Activation for Park designation K-2996. This was a fun outdoor event, and I plan to do more like this in upcoming episodes.

N4FZ, CA7OKD, KB5CUS and 1 other person like this.
  2. KN4ZUJ

KN4ZUJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a new HAM, could you please explain your set-up with Battery Pack, Radio, Band-plan used and computer Log Program, etc.

N4FZ and KC5HWB like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

May I suggest Youtube and search for "POTA activations". There is a wealth of knowledge on a pretty extensive topic. Google is also a great tool to help answer questions on amateur radio.

N7GPP and W5CJA like this.
  4. KC5HWB

Yes I am in the middle of recording a video on that very subject

N7GPP and WJ4U like this.
  5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Add some video of the antenna you're using on there.
    A simple headset or hands free mic will allow you to type the callsigns faster and more accurately on the keyboard and not have to move your hands so much (faster contacts)

please copy ? Eh? is that like Ten Four Good Buddy ?

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. KC5HWB

Already working on antennas - have a few.
    not really worried about faster contacts, etc. This is POTA, not a DXpedition.

Speaking of DXpeditions..."please copy" is used during those and during contests. Not that unusual.

7. K9UR

Poor operating practice...only used by noobs who don't know better. and traffic handlers.

N4CAX likes this.
  8. KC5HWB

Because complaining on QRZ is so much more professional, right?

AF4RK, KE5ICT, KX1MAD and 9 others like this.
  9. K9UR

We are amateurs. Nothing professional needed. But in our hobby It’s not complaining. It’s called elmering.
    Experienced hams teaching inexperienced hams how to operate properly by pointing out their mistakes and coaching them — it is a long ham tradition.

In the past, the bar was high to become a ham- learning theory and Morse code - and new hams were eager to learn how to operate the service properly and efficiently from the older and more experienced /accomplished.

Now we see arrogant know it alls (or snow flakes who can’t handle the feedback) and take any elmering personally - they have no regard or interest in learning how to operate properly on the air. Hey. They passed a 20 question test and bought a dual band baofeng. Whoo- rah. Now they’re taking and know it all !!.

Please copy that !

W1WWA and K5DOX like this.
  10. KC5HWB

I've been a ham for 25 years and I have had several Elmers along the way. I appreciate all of them and I try to Elmer and mentor people myself when I can, about subjects that I have knowledge on. I do agree with you about it being a long ham tradition and it is one that I support also.

Calling people "noobs" or quoting "hey good buddy" is a far cry from being a good Elmer, though. That is just complaining. Keyboard Rambos act this way, not Elmers. If you have feedback about something you think is wrong, then share it. That is what I do. But I don't go name-calling and trying to belittle people by pointing out their alleged mistakes and trying to make myself feel superior to them because I think that I know something that they do not.

This specific video has just under 1800 views on it. That means that almost 1800 people have watched it and no one except you has pointed out "please copy" as poor operating practice. No one, while I was on the air making contacts, mentioned this either. No one in the past 3 DXpeditions I've done - Field Day Events for 7-8 years - Contests I've worked, etc have ever mentioned this. Now, understand what I am telling you - I am not saying you are necessarily wrong. If you think it is poor operating practice, then I will do some research to see if I can find more than 1 person out of 1800 who can confirm this. I am far from perfect and I make mistakes often, even as a Ham for 25 years. But when I hear 1 person out of so many, telling me that I did something wrong and telling me in a way that is rude or demeaning, I tend to put very little faith in what they are saying.

KF5SLK, KD2LFG, KA0TIX and 15 others like this.
  11. K9UR

Perhaps it's the qualification of your viewers.... they simply don't know better, or don't want to waste their time correcting you. The no-please-copy operating habit has been published in several places:

ARRL Operating Manual: "There is no need for phrases such as “please copy” or “you are” or to say what each bit of information is. Do not repeat the exchange you've received. Just rattle off your information... and the running station will be perfectly happy."

Florida Contest Group Contesting Do's and Don'ts: "Don’t send or say any unnecessary words or comments "Don’t say “please copy”"

QST article, The Joy of Contesting: "In a phone contest you’ll notice that experts don’t say extraneous words, such as “Please copy.” ... There are no wasted words. Politeness in contesting isn’t about saying, “Please copy.” Politeness is about making the exchange as efficient for both of you as possible."

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  12. KC5HWB

"Do not repeat the exchange you received" - everyone does this. I hear this all of the time. So these rules don't seem too hard and fast.

The other 2 references you make are to Contesting. POTA isn't Contesting.

To end this debate, thank you for your insight. As I stated before, I wasn't saying your comments were wrong, just that you could have said them better. Trying to prove your information correct doesn't change the fact that you originally presented it in a non-Elmering type manner. Just learn how better to talk to people if you want them to take you seriously.

W1PJE likes this.
  13. W8SMN

W8SMN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said,de W8SMN

KC5HWB likes this.
  14. KK7Y

KK7Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ignore the old fishwife, that was a great video! I love working outside with packable radios. Here is an Idaho Hot Springs on the Air activation last week with a Codan 2110! Hot spring.jpg

K0UO, KX1MAD, K5JM and 5 others like this.
  15. KD8WIE

KD8WIE Ham Member QRZ Page

K7JOE - Please allow me to Elmer you into Dale Carnegie's How to win Friends & Influence People. In this book you will find well proven ways to not come off as a condescending jerk - but hey don't take Elmering personally.

I have tried to recruit people into Ham radio a few times. One of the common themes in their initial apprehension is the possibility of running into an attitude like you have displayed here. Few people will choose to tolerate your kind of crapspeak, and maybe if we all took a few pointers from Mr. Carnegie, we would have a lot more young people on the air.

K3SZ, KL7P, KE8EC and 2 others like this.