ad: Alphaant-1

Please Respect the Frequencies for SSTV and QRP

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by CT2KFQ, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No language issues here, I fully understand you... Your English is good.

M1WML likes this.
  2. CT2KFQ

CT2KFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And please dont do jokes about were did you have taken your examen dont tell me this was at Disneyland

M1WML likes this.
  3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, so there are several issues. One is band plan. The other is whether or not a frequency is in use.

The OP asserts the frequency was in use. I don't doubt that was true. But do the people making contacts there also understand that the frequency was in use.

Many times I have been in QSO and a band shift occurs and suddenly there is someone else on the same or nearby frequency, two QSOs, with folks pointlessly arguing about who was there first. QSB happens.

Or someone on the frequency is simply not heard, until after a new QSO has started. Many instances I have asked if a frequency was in use, several times, with no response, started running the frequency for 30 minutes or more, and many contacts made before someone insists I am interfering with some net or QSO. This is inadvertent. Nothing done wrong. But once it is known that there is interference ( not merely someone insisting he owns the frequency for some net that has been meeting there every day for 400 years ), then one might consider moving, regardless of who believes who was there first. Arguing over frequencies is pointless.

Yes, we should respect a frequency clearly in use and go somewhere else. But if we do not know the frequency is in use, it is another matter altogether.

The point is yes we should be respectful and considerate. But we should also not get upset when there is inadvertent QRM. Assuming someone else hears what you hear is naive at best.

M1WML, AC0OB and WD4IGX like this.
  4. NK7Z

The original post started off by telling people that they need to change their behavior because they were violating some ill defined set of rules. Upon being called out for confusing a band plan for a rule, the op then changed the narrative-- someone was being QRMed, became the new narrative. Upon being called out for that, the op then started claiming that English was not his native language... Basically the Op is backing out of his original position. Lets let him back out gracefully, and agree to disagree...

N1LOU, M1WML, W4DOM and 2 others like this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

There are, but these aren't any of them.

Get it through your head - THESE BAND PLANS ARE NOT RULES!

N1LOU, KD8ZMN, M1WML and 3 others like this.
  6. WD4IGX

Exactly.

Band plans are suggestions at best, basically places to use a mode or method (SSTV and QRP respectively) to help find others using that mode or method. There is nothing regulatory about them.

That is an ENTIRELY separate issue from QRM and interference.

M1WML and N4UP like this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP_Respect_Logo_2.jpg

QRP ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE.jpg

QRP 5 WATTS.jpg

QRP_MASCOT.jpg
    QRP OPERATIONS.jpg

JOSE, MEU AMIGO,

BOM FEIN DE SEMANA,

ATE LOGO

DEUS TE ABENÇOÊ

73 - K1LKP

AA5BK and M1WML like this.
  8. NK7Z

I think the fact English is not his native language is the cause of the confusion between plans, and rules...

M1WML likes this.
  9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well of course it was a Disneyland. Isn't that the only place to do it? Given by the head rat... I mean mouse himself! The mouse told us to use 14.230 as our national tune-up frequency...

M1WML likes this.
  10. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP OPERATIONS.jpg

Hey! Is that ol' Doc/AF2Y from the old daze of 14.313?! Oh wait... I guess he was on a squeaky treadmill... :p

M1WML likes this.
  11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, not rules but Gentlemen's agreements based on RESPECT. And, without these agreements it would/will be mass chaos and less enjoyable for everyone.

The key words here are 'gentlemen' and 'respect.' Two things that America and Americans seem to lack these days.

Failure to enforce rules or to maintain discipline leads to demoralization and penalizes the innocent instead of the guilty.

Dan WQ4G

M1WML likes this.
  12. WD4IGX

When it comes to things like QRP and SSTV they aren't even that. They're recommended calling frequencies and that's pretty much all they are.

M1WML likes this.
  13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't even what?

M1WML likes this.
  14. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no world wide rules. Here in the U.S. we are regulated by the FCC, no one else. We follow the rules as laid out by the FCC. If your on .230 and some one does not here you or know your there, the there is no violation of anything if the operate on .230. The FCC band allocation gives us 14.000 to 14.350 with no other restrictions other that to operate there under FCC rules. What you may or may not do in Portugal has no bearing on what we can do here.

KD8ZMN and M1WML like this.
  15. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that the band plan is shown on hundreds of sights as a guide, It clearly designate frequencies to be used for different modes. its not hard to comply. sstv frequencies have often been jammed by voice ssb calls. so dont complain when a +60 db sstv signal appears in the middle of your qso, if you are on 14230 then you are migrating onto the frequency that every sstv user it adhering to so as not to disrupt the rest of the band. If the sstv users can respect that why can't you? just be a bit more sensible. just imaging the carnage is the odd driver decided to not drive on the same side of the road as everyone else, mayhem ensues, its not hard to do. or it it beyond your common decency to respect the band plan...show your intelligente side not a bombastic attitude to others.

W7STF, M1WML and N0YPD like this.