ad: Flexradio-1

Anchorage ARC VEC Ramps Up Remote Testing to Meet COVID-19 Challenges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Mar 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0RC

N0RC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AC7DD likes this.
  2. W9YZI

W9YZI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How do they monitor testing guess its open book and honor system

AB9AC likes this.
  3. WA8ZID

WA8ZID Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading the article, they get a local person such as a law enforcement, Ham, college instructor, etc. to proctor locally. Any proctor needs to apply to the club for approval (prefer Extra Class hams who can become a VE). I applaud the club for trying to get a process so new hams can get their license wherever they are.

KC5HWB, ND1C, KF1P and 1 other person like this.
  4. NP4SS

NP4SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is not an online testing proceedings; its following social distancing protocol at a remote location.

K8UA likes this.
  5. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like the beginning of the no test license. Open book test.

N0EE, WA4EE and K0UO like this.
  6. WD5HNI

WD5HNI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If this what it takes to get new people interested in this hobby so be it! Last time I went to hamfest probably saw no more than 3 or 4 younger hams under the age of 21 to 25. Times are changing!

KC5AOI and KF5VDX like this.
  7. AE3J

AE3J Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The VE testing we now have is a joke.

WB6MMC and KM9G like this.
  8. NF4J

NF4J Ham Member QRZ Page

How's that? I've had a Team in place now for over 6 years. With over 350+ exams administered, Our community has grown to become a valuable part of the Amateur Radio family in our area with Great People. My Team has NEVER taken or kept a penny of any test fee and we've all given hundreds of hours of our time to insure Proper Procedure and the Integrity of our hobby. If I had to guess, your reply is likely directed at the differences of testing now as compared to earlier times, like mine in the 80's. Care to expound on your thoughts? 73 de NF4J

K9KXW, N0EE, KM4OPN and 6 others like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand what they are trying to do and they say this is for Coronavirus

BUT
    I guess they threw the rule of having three VEs present out the window, So after reading the rules, they're going to allow a Judge, a school teacher, a librarian, the mayor or a Sheriff to supervise.

Last time I watched the news

There's no courts, no open schools, the libraries are close, and the Sheriff is damn sure busy doing something besides administering, Ham test!!!

We still have a few more days until April Fools

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  10. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YES what happened to the three VE's present at the testing? They can't wait a month or two to take a the test.

N0EE and K0UO like this.
  11. K3CL

K3CL Ham Member QRZ Page

The three VEs are just somewhere else, video-linked to the exam room where candidate(s) and proctor(s) are. This has been done successfully in parts of Alaska where going to a traditional session is not worth the time and expense.

It's also not so much can't wait a month or two to test, it's more about now being the perfect time to capitalise being that people need solitary hobbies while living out the pandemic. Business 101 here. Furthermore, instant gratification is the not-so-new normal. You're just gonna have to accept it.

12. AL0B

AL0B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Anchorage ARC VEC has actually been doing remote testing throughout Alaska since the authorization was given per FCC Report and Order 14-74. We recently expanded our offering of remote testing in February, not knowing what was coming. We are processing applications and administering examinations that strictly retains compliance with Part 97 of the Commission's Rules and will not conduct an exam unless we are certain the rules are being followed. Our remote system uses modern technology to monitor the examinee during the exam and yes, there are three or more VE's monitoring from various areas in the country. Right now we are telling applicants that it could take 30 to 60 days for an exam, once an initial application is submitted. For those who support our endeavor we thank you.

K9KXW, KC9YGN, ND6M and 9 others like this.
  13. KW9O

KW9O Ham Member QRZ Page

With the 2016 extra question pool quickly coming to the end, I hope other groups find alternative ways to properly administer the test. If not, there will be many disappointed hams that have spent many hours studying for a test they may not be able to take.

Extra Class 2016 Question Pool: E1E13
    Question: Which of these choices is an acceptable method for monitoring the applicants if a VEC opts to conduct an exam session remotely?
    Answer: Use a real-time video link and the Internet to connect the exam session to the observing VE's.

KC1FUU likes this.
  14. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

If they studied to learn and not just memorize the 2016 version, they won't have a problem.

AC5KW and N0NC like this.
  15. KL2S

KL2S Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been a few comments about needing three ve's present. When you take a remote test, you are video recorded and streamed live to three ve's and you must have a proctor present. This is not a way to get an open book test, and it is not a way to skirt the rules. It is a way to offer a test for those who cannot take it while physically present at the testing location.

K9KXW, NF4J, K3CL and 1 other person like this.