ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 - DXmini V2 Version 2 Pi-Star Hotspot

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DXmini V2 Version 2 Pi-Star Hotspot: Next up from DXmini is the V2 hotspot with the full-sized Raspberry Pi board and Nexion screen. Check this video for screen examples, and using the hotspot with both DMR and YSF radios.

https://www.dxmini.com

2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you not try REAL ham radio ??? just a though !

KT5OT and WW4DX like this.
  3. K4WNY

K4WNY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I try to keep my though to myself...

N7MK/SK2024, K0URL and K7CB like this.
  4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL @ "just a though" I'd prefer to try real English.

But no really, just a typo, I assume. If you watch ANY of any other videos at all, you will see I try MANY topics inside of the hobby. Radio reviews, DXpeditions, FT8, SSB, upgrade classes, QRP, HF, AREDN and Mesh....lots more. Not sure what is "real" and not real though....I might be in the Matrix.....

KM5BOR, KD5RJZ, KG9PL and 6 others like this.
  5. N4JRP

N4JRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed! Real ham radio these days can be anything other than just RF/Phone. The digital stuff is turned to RF at some point anyway.

I still use SSB during contest and love it. but I also use RTYY, FT8/4, CW, JS8 and sometimes JT (insert number here) then there's Digita (DMR, Fusion, Allstar)l, Yeah I've used them.

One of the main reasons (to me) other than contesting is the hobby can get boring sometimes, so venture out and learn new things that's the only thing that will keep this hobby moving forward IMO. And anything that involves a RPi is just cool. I have one setup with an 857 just for digital modes.

Try some of this stuff you might actually like it.

KN0SKY and K3SZ like this.
  6. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I may not watch the videos but agreed - I'm tired of the complaints about something not being "REAL" ham radio simply because it uses the Internet at some point. I prefer not to use the Internet to talk to someone directly so I use my hotspot to connect to repeaters...which use RF. Ham radio is whatever you make of the hobby and hotspots are simply a tool to use like anything else in the hobby.

AA3SO and K3SZ like this.
  7. K4WDY

K4WDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I know everyone has an opinion on the subject, but my opinion is any form of communication between two licensed amateur radio operators is ham radio. I'm relatively new to ham radio. Got my Tech and General ticket in early 2018 and have made contacts all over the world HF. That being said, I also like all the digital modes. Bottom line, do what lets you enjoy the hobby and leave others to do what lets them enjoy the hobby. There is plenty for everyone. Enjoy and 73.

NA4RA, N5JLR and K3SZ like this.
  8. K2MFW

K2MFW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Internet ham radio, sounding like CB radio more and more...sickening.

WW4DX and KI6PMD like this.
  9. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

@N4JRP, @K7CB, @K4WDY: Thank You!

I've only been a ham for 45 years and I like (and use) the new technologies as much as the old ones.

KG9PL, WA5MD and K4WDY like this.
  10. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably no more so than 75 and 40 meters.

KD0LQD, N7MK/SK2024, KE5ES and 2 others like this.
  11. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Or some of the local repeaters in my area. Besides, the DMR talkgroups I monitor haven't had any antics on them at all.

KD0LQD likes this.
  12. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

just another LID!

KD0LQD likes this.
  13. WG5EEK

WG5EEK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok I'll ask, what is a LID? Besides the obvious drug connotation.

14. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No drug connotation...

"Lid...a term used in amateur radio to denote a poor operator; one who is inept at the practice of the art."

Above taken from here: https://www.qsl.net/dl4tt/w5vsr.html

KT5OT, WA8LGM and WG5EEK like this.
  15. 4F8RS

4F8RS Ham Member QRZ Page

What’s wrong with the new stuff? How do you define real ham from not real ham?

WA8LGM likes this.