ad: AbAuRe-1

Are You Ready for the Next Solar Cycle?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Feb 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sunspot number: 0
    Updated 25 Feb 2020

Spotless Days
    Current Stretch: 23 days
    2020 total: 39 days (70%)
    2019 total: 281 days (77%)
    2018 total: 221 days (61%)
    2017 total: 104 days (28%)
    2016 total: 32 days (9%)
    2015 total: 0 days (0%)
    2014 total: 1 day (<1%)
    2013 total: 0 days (0%)
    2012 total: 0 days (0%)
    2011 total: 2 days (<1%)
    2010 total: 51 days (14%)
    2009 total: 260 days (71%)
    2008 total: 268 days (73%)
    2007 total: 152 days (42%)
    2006 total: 70 days (19%)

In other news, you can work a lot of DX with FT8 and 5 watts.

On 20-Dec-2016 a USET observer saw a small patch of magnetic field in the southern hemisphere of the Sun. The outward magnetic field (white in the magnetograms) was behind the inward field (black patches). This patch is circled in blue in the HMI magnetogram. This high-latitude region (23°S) did not follow the pattern of magnetic field seen in Solar Cycle 24. Solar Cycle 25 may have a [very] slow start, but is anticipated to peak with solar maximum occurring between 2023 and 2026, and a sunspot range of 95 to 130 (which is relatively crappy).

https://sdoisgo.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-first-signs-of-solar-cycle-25.html

In other, other news, SUPERNOVA WATCH IS CANCELLED: Call off the supernova watch. Betelgeuse is brightening again. Researchers from Villanova University, who have been leading the study of Betelegeuse's unprecedented decline, have confirmed in a new Astronomical Telegram that the star has reversed itself. The turnaround was actually predicted, and suggests the recent dimming was an unusually deep excursion of the star's natural 430-day periodicity.

https://spaceweather.com/

2. K3RPK

K3RPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked VP8PJ on 30 meters 02:50 with 5 watts and 80 meter dipole....just sayin

G3SEA and WN1MB like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked them on 15m with QRO and stacked monobanders at 130 feet. They were very weak, QSB, and the band was in and out, and noisy. It took quite some time to get a Q, this one on CW.

The point is that even those with the 'big gun' stations at their access are having problems working DX that used to be worked on 15M with 5 watts and a dipole.

VP8PJ isn't even ON 12m, and 10m...

I think we should concentrate on better band conditions in the next year, rather than touting the rarity of occasionally getting through now:)

Chip W1YW

G3SEA likes this.
  4. 2E0VDF

2E0VDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Propagation is always good on Peanut!!! I must be a jinx to the hobby. As soon as I became licenced the band's went downhill :(

W1YW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait it out...

:)

2E0VDF likes this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope those were fractal antennas...

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I run fractal antennas at home. The 'superstation' I mention is one of the remote ham radio sites. I operated from work. Yep, I get the irony that while I am designing and shipping fractal antennas, I have to use 'lawn chair in the sky' Yagis when at work...

My wife doesn't want the home station operated remote (from work)because of 'fire' concerns. Go figure. We don't run the clothes dryer when not home either. I imagine if I was running 5 watts and FT8 remote that would be a different story;-)

I use an LK-800C from home with loafing legal limit.

There was some ham in CO? who died in a fire from a clothes dryer fire...forget the call.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    W4HM likes this.
  8. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bring it on ! :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

W1YW likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clarification:

It was Chuck, K0RF , who is very much alive but suffered the destruction of his home and shack from a clothes dryer fire, in 2015.

Be sure to always remove the crap in the lint filter...this happens more often than people realize.

:-(

10. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good effort ! :cool: It can be done and you did it ! :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

W1YW likes this.
  11. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip works 160 meters with a phased "fractal array". They are 120 feet long, seperated 1/4 wavelength apart and fed in phase to give a broadside signal with a gain of 25 dBi.

Also when nobody is looking Chip uses liquid metal mirrors on his home brewed 100" reflector and home brewed 60" refractor telescopes. He also uses the Hubble space telescope via a fractal wifi link to his image processing computer.

AF4RK and W1YW like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAHA!

Who needs BRAINS when you have HARDWARE!

W4HM likes this.
  13. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

14. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe we will see a decline on FT8 activity and get back to actual ham radio..lol

Attached Files:

WN1MB and 2E0VDF like this.
  15. KD8SAV

KD8SAV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be happy to see prop like I saw in 1979 when I was living in Alaska. The lower 48 was 40 over 9 on 10 and 15 meters. I don't think I'll ever see that again - I'm 71 now.