ad: elecraft

Q&A Mini-Course: The Invisible Killer— Radiation Storms from the Sun & Beyond (PartI)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Feb 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Q&A Mini-Course: The Invisible Killer— Radiation Storms from the Sun & Beyond (PartI)

KO4CBI, MI0CMY, NL7W and 13 others like this.
  2. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Duck and cover !!!!

3. KX2L

KX2L Ham Member QRZ Page

Great part 1 of course. Looking forward to more. Did not know in 1972 if an Apollo mission then then all astronauts would of been killed by solar radiation. Thanks for the education.

4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's doubtful that astronauts in space would be killed by a large coronal mass ejection due to all of the unfriendly energetic protons, electrons, x-rays and cosmic waves racing through. But it would be like an overdose of chest x-rays that could screw up the DNA cause cancer in future years.

The future Mars astronauts would be especially at risk due to the long trip there and back and would need lead shielding that is of course really heavy and would eat up fuel. There is also danger while on the surface.

It might be a good idea not to leave earths protective magnetic field until a solar minimum.

5. W1SPS

W1SPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, you better have a lot of fuel. If I'm not mistaken Alpha and beta radiation will be stopped by the ship's hull. Gamma particles need a little over a foot of lead to stop them (and that isn't high energy particles). I read somewhere astronauts sometimes see a flash of light when their eyes are closed (a high energy particle hitting in their eye or the optic nerve or somewhere). I would think in a space ship of some sort if you were in the path of gamma rays, you'd be screwed. It's a wonder Astronauts don't suffer worse effects than they do.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A tin foil hat is more than adequate to stop all of that.

7. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

makes me appreciate the magnetic field.

KD9AUY, NL7W, W4HM and 1 other person like this.
  8. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes literally we could not live without earths protective magnetic field. That's why Mars is an unpleasant to live.

10. N8AUM

N8AUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video !!!!

11. KO4CBI

KO4CBI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

great job!

12. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

The atmosphere that protects us from UV and X-ray radiation, in doing so, becomes ionized and gives us the ionosphere, giving us long distance propagation.

A rare double-win!