ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 - Elecraft K4 Updates from Orlando Hamcation 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see a list of dates and the official Elecraft announcements, as I've only casually been following K4 news. Like KN40TS, it's way out of my comfort zone.

It's one thing to drum up excitement for the release of a new product. It's quite another to take money well ahead of release and then repeatedly fail to meet commitments.

N0CN, W5CJA, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe Ten Tec ought to announce their upcoming transceiver delivery date? Maybe get their name into this horseless race? :D

W5CJA, AK5B and K0UO like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Many people love or Loved Ten Tec just like they do Elecraft: Anything can happen to a small business or even a large one. Think about all the companies that used to build ham transceivers or Amplifiers But no longer exist.

What if the owner or engineering staff leaves the company or a terrible accident resulting in a death of one of those key employees?

Mergers, Acquisitions, and complete management changes.

What is a trusted Financial person misappropriates all the $$$$ money?

Engineering or copyright problems.

Financial groups/Banks calling in notes and loans. Suppliers failing are not getting paid.

Earthquakes, hurricanes, are the plant burns down.

What if economic Conditions suddenly change, or if China can no longer ship parts?
    Dock strikes It crippled Icom and Kingwood a few years ago. (7300s and 7610s and 990s Could not be delivered). They were setting in ships offshore.

This list can go on and on and it happens every day to business everyday, Just look at Ten Tec!

So send a $4995 check and we'll see what happens. How lucky are you this year?

Damn, I left one thing of the list, and guess what? The IRS Is doing an audit!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    WD0BCT, W4HM, W5CJA and 1 other person like this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That covers pretty much all potential pitfalls and all are valid concerns.

I'm still an Icom man but may try to snag a used K3s when hams put them up for sale at a big discount after the K4 can actually be bought and delivered.

K0UO and WD0BCT like this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck with that; Elecrafts maintain a pretty high resale value and I doubt big discounts will ever be the norm. While I wouldn't mind picking up a K4 someday I am so fond of my K3/P3/KPA500 combo I know I will never part with it.

The nice thing about these rigs is that they are so customizable to one's needs and operating preferences. Upgrades via software and additional options that can be installed by the user are another factor in this equation, too. I thought about upgrading to a K3S but once I saw that 90% of the differences can be resolved by the addition of options I figured that made more sense to me since I was already "joined at the hip" to my K-line.

I like Icom a lot, too (have 3 so far)---and am just about to pull the trigger on a 9700 soon for some satellite and weak-signal fun.

Now there's the type of rig that I'd really like to see Elecraft develop and offer (albeit a more deluxe version):

One strictly VHF/UHF rig featuring ALL of the major high VHF/UHF bands in one box would really be something to yearn for (50/70/144/222/432/904/1296/2304 MHz). Hey, Elecraft, you could call it the K5/R (Rover model) !

I know it's only a pipe dream that is unlikely to happen---but looking back a few years in the Elecraft mailing list I recall Elecraft repeatedly claimed that there would never be a big enough market to warrant the creation of neither a KPA1500 or a K4...

Perhaps something as esoteric as an all VHF/UHF base rig could be offered in the style of the venerable Yaesu FT-736R; individual band modules could be installed as desired with the base rig offering three or four bands for starters---food for thought and inspiration, at any rate.

Veteran Kool Aid Drinker

WB5THT and WW2PT like this.
  6. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

1 Billion dollars!

7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft doesn’t “take” money from anyone. Thieves and the IRS (but I repeat myself...) take money from people. The deposit money is given to Elecraft freely by adults as part of a private, voluntary transaction.

KR3DX, W8KIC, WB5THT and 3 others like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

But they supply us with services.... :D

9. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Like many others, I'll be admiring this from a distance. Hopefully, someday automation will close the gap enough to make items like this more affordable. Till then I have other options.

10. KA2UVI

KA2UVI Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WX2CX

WX2CX QRZ Lifetime Member #577 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Business 101, never use your own money to found a project or business, use others money.

Not sure if I totally agree with this but its the business model most successful companies use.
    Anyway I am curious to see the final product, especially the K40.

Pedro

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My WordNet dictionary lists 42 definitions for the verb "take." Some of the definitions support our individual takes (the noun) on take (the verb). ;)

Semantics aside, the fact remains that Elecraft is in possession of voluntarily deposited currency and has continually failed to meet its commitments.

K0UO likes this.