ad: elecraft

HR2.0 - Elecraft K4 Updates from Orlando Hamcation 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As an update to my original video recorded at the Dayton Hamention of 2019, we talk to Eric again about updated to the production of the K4 and shipping dates.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

KG4BFR, N5LB, G3ZPF and 5 others like this.
  2. BG2CTY

BG2CTY Ham Member QRZ Page

这个 多少钱 我想买一台 777

3. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The translation is: wants to know what is the cost to buy.

W5CJA, K3SZ and W1YW like this.
  4. BI3WW

BI3WW Ham Member QRZ Page

He wants to know how much the Elecraft K4 is :)

W8KIC likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The K4 base model is US $4000.

AK5B likes this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He told me that he had about three to four months of engineering updates to do and then he went through what a number of those updates were. Those would have to be done before any shipment.
    They're still working out quite a few things. Because the way the Icom 7610 panadapter looks they had to make updates for similar appearances.
    The planned K40 is going to be a whole lot like the flex maestro, I actually think it's going to be a better design than the Maestro of which I never did really like.
    However using your Apple or Android device is a long ways off they're only going to make the application available to designers so I'll probably not live long enough to see that LoL, something that would really make that unit a winner if they would do that But it's way off in the future, we've already been waiting a year for the original unit

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    US7IGN, KC5HWB, SE3X and 4 others like this.
  7. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Phooey. I will believe it only when I can buy one and it works right. It is irresponsible for any manufacturer to announce any rig before it is truly available.

You cannot win any horse race without actually having a horse.

Announced May, 2019, Elecraft first promised delivery early December 2019. Now, it says first units might ship May, 2020. I understand is still under design and development. If it works like the K3, it may take many weekly firmware updates before it works to specification. Some owners claimed all those weekly updates constituted good service after the sale - but failing to work as specified means it is broken and, that constitutes breach of warranty. I am not interested in beta testing its product on my time and money.

I am eating well lately, 'cause I bet several guys a steak dinner it would not be available and work to spec as promised. Now, I wish I had bet bottles of bourbon, instead!

That is just MY take - your mileage may vary. Good luck and Good DX to EVERYONE. K8JHR

KX2T, KC9YGN, W4NNF and 8 others like this.
  8. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to agree, announcing a product before the DESIGN is finalized is ridiculous...especially if you start accepting preorders (I have no idea if Elecraft is taking preorders or not). Updating firmware after release is OK IMHO because some issues arent really identified until a larger sample size gets their hands on things.

But, if you are still in DESIGN and ENGINEERING, you're doing a disservice to potential customers by announcing it.

WD4ELG, W8KIC, W8LGZ and 1 other person like this.
  9. N8LEK

N8LEK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps the Icom IC7610 (and maybe the IC7300) are taking a bite out of their sales. The Elecraft P3 panadapter costs ~$800.00, and that’s after paying $3000+ for a K3S. Maybe the K3S is a superior radio… I cannot say, I do not own one. But I do have a 7300 and the spectrum scope / waterfall is a joy to use.

Maybe Elecraft announced the K4 early so that those in the market for a new radio will wait to buy a K4 instead of buying a new Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu.

W8KIC, KT5OT, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So if you don't like the business model, buy your radio somewhere else. Different strokes for different folks.

There are valid reasons for the business model. Preorders can fund much of the pre-production and early production at small company. This reduces risk and results in lower costs because the need for financing is reduced or eliminated. It also generates free publicity. It's not uncommon today.

Crowdfunding or crowdsourcing is the same thing but carried out using a third party website. In fact my son's tiny company just completed a round of crowdfunding and is delivering their first product to those who participated (including me :)). And they have more orders on top of that.

KR3DX, NL7W, W6OWP and 8 others like this.
  11. N8LEK

N8LEK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are excellent points Bob.

KR3DX and N0TZU like this.
  12. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

.... if you don't like the business model, buy your radio somewhere else ...

RIGHT - And I did !

But, you misrepresent my position. I said nothing about how the company is financing its latest venture. I made no argument against accepting deposits from prospective purchasers to fund development. You wrote a rebuttal to an argument I did not make. (Although, I rather doubt my XYL would agree to allocate $4-5000 from our investment pool as an interest free loan to finance the next great ham radio!)

And yet it kinda sorta smacks of breach of contract (if not just poor business acumen) to accept a full price deposit and promise to deliver the goods on a date certain - and postpone delivery for up to six months. But, again, you opened that can of worms, not I.

Ultimately, I just cannot get excited over a radio that does not exist and which is still under development. As Grandpa always used to say, sometimes: "Ya can't do business with an empty wagon." K8JHR

WD4ELG, KT5OT and K0UO like this.
  13. KC5HWB

The entire Ham Radio industry is a big hurry-up-and-wait game. It always has been. Production issues arise and time tables are pushed back. It happens with every manufacturer.

IMO Elecraft should be able to stand on their reputation from years past. They had the K1/K2/K3 series and the KX-line radios that many folks enjoy. The K4 will be available soon, but if they released it too early, people would be up in arms, claiming that they shouldn't be releasing a beta-only ready product. If you are truly serious about purchasing a K4, you should be thanking them for waiting and making sure the product is up to their existing standards.

KR3DX, NL7W, W6OWP and 5 others like this.
  14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want a K4D And you want to reserve first delivery. It's around. $4999 But they have no firm price so it could cost more. And that's without an antenna tuner.
    It's going to be a great radio. No doubt.
    I've been waiting on mine.
    I went ahead and purchase two IC7610s And after talking to them last weekend, I think they're playing catch-up to emulate some of the features on the 7610. No doubt. They're going to have a few more things on the k4D. The K4D Which has two receivers just like the 7610, and their additional antenna tuner it is going to cost more than two IC7610s!!!!

It's a great time to be a HAM, with lots of great equipment out there. And with new equipment prices like the 7300, which is driving quality used equipment down to an affordable levels for everybody.
    Who would have thought 30 years ago that we would have five or six major manufacturers making radio transceivers in this day and age.??

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    KX2T, WA2LXB, KM4WRQ and 6 others like this.
  15. KC5HWB

The deposit for the K4 isn't the full price, so that argument isn't valid.

AK5B likes this.