ad: portazero-1

new ....well sort of to contesting

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WD5JTZ, Feb 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD5JTZ

WD5JTZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The wife and I have been out of ham radio for about 35 years due to our careers. Now retired , we started getting into contesting again. I need info on the following..

I am sure technology has kept up and beyond over the years, but noticed that back in the day we needed the exact frequency and exact time to put in a log for contesting. But not so for other contests we have listened too.... ie. winter field day, up coming qso party.

1. has the rules changed to where you only need the band?

2, I think any contest log program run with the time added automatically. So, exact time is not needed anymore?

I think I am seeing ….the exchanges are just very simple,....some a class and category and QTH. Will the same be for Field Day. Before I start looking for a free log program or buy one....can anyone tell me if I am on target with this....or where can I go to get a better understanding.

Thanks. Mike

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You only need the band not the frequency.

But you SHOULD be recording the correct time. For most confirmation purposes, the two reports must align within 30 minutes' window to register as a confirmation.

If you're using any of the standard contest logging programs, that should happen automatically. Doesn't much matter if you log the beginning of the QSO or the end - or even both (start time, end time) but you do need to log a time for each contact in UTC.

For all the contests and links to the rules, required exchanges, how and where to submit your contest logs, etc. go here:

WA7BNM Contest Calendar - LINK: https://www.contestcalendar.com/

This is the "gold standard" for all ham radio contests throughout the year.

Good luck & have fun!!

I love contesting :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K5VZD likes this.
  3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome back Mike!

Lots of things have changed in 35 years, both in contesting and ham radio in general. Two things you need to check out:
    That should get you started. Good luck!

K5VZD likes this.
  4. WS7X

WS7X Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wanted to second the recommendation of N1MM for a good contest logging program. Export the log and submit if you wish, or keep a copy so you can compare to next year.
    See you in the next contest Mike. And welcome back!

5. WD5JTZ

DAVE THANK YOU. We did participate in Winter Field Day, and maybe I misunderstood the directions on log submissions. ( WoW....Cabrillo ? I had to look that up and wrap my head around how much THAT has changed. Ok, back to the text ) I did notice that once you start a log...whether is N3FJP, or N1MM or what ever....the time is running. MY FIRST ISSUE was I didn't trust ( or understand the computer log ) so we did it by hand the old fashion way. Then, we tried to go back and enter it into a N3FJP log...and the times and dates were all off . LESSON NUMBER ONE. DONT MESS WITH PAPER LOGS ANY MORE because you will have to go back and CHANGE all the times and DATE. . ( waste of time ) . you can keep a paper log if you want as a back up check or something, but instead..... just learn the logging program. Make corrections later.....after transferring the Cabrillo log format to word pad or some app......correct...and save.

NOW That makes more sense to me .

thank you also to WS7X and WW2PT

6. WD5JTZ

Imagine, me....after 35 years I get the old Kenwood 520s out put up a 80 meter dipole. and start listening. Then I get back to the club I once belonged too....and hear FT8, ECHOLINK, PSK 31...BAND EXPANSIONS....gee QRZ/ You remember the only way to get a call sign was to look through that 3 inch book of calls from ARRL...….... OMG. WHAT THE HECK !
    . Gee...Apple computers were just coming out with the big floppy discs...….But it hasn't been too bad...because posting on Forums..( you couldn't do that back then ) has been very good. Thanks for your response and post.
    I appreciate it.

Attached Files:

K5VZD and WW2PT like this.
  7. WD5JTZ

Thank You. I have since downloaded the N1MM program and am looking at it.....like "something new" again.... :) But, I will have plenty of time to play before the Louisiana QSO party...and use it. I appreciate it.
    Mike

8. WW2PT

I was just getting started in 1985; that’s when I built an Heathkit HW-9 and started studying for my license. Some of the things we take for granted today were science fiction in 1985!

9. WD5JTZ

So true. My first rig was a hw-8. Sure miss that thing

WW2PT likes this.
  10. K1VW

K1VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in pretty much the same boat... i remember Field Day paper logs and dupe sheets from the 80’s. Skip a few decades, it’s a lot different. As others suggested, I use N1MM+ software for contests. It takes a little time to understand how to set up for different contests, especially digital contests. Work WITH the software, don’t fight and fix it later. It knows about all the different contests and makes sure you have the right exchange info. After about a dozen contests I’ve got it down pat. 5 minutes after the contest ends I’ve submitted my Cabtillo log and uploaded ADIF files to LoTW and QRZ.

Another alternative some people like is N3JFP software. It costs a little money but you download a program preconfigured for a given contest.

11. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

But we STILL do not have flying cars!!

WW2PT likes this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah, well.... it won't be long now

13. WW2PT

Well...

WJ4U likes this.
  14. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a little additional info:

Logging programs use your computers internal clock to time and date stamp entries in the log. Make sure your PC clock is reasonably close to the correct time. Then you have to use the correct setting in log program to set your time offset for UTC time (the current label for GMT or Zulu time). If you operate FT-8 you probably already have some method to calibrate your PC clock on a regular basis. If not, use one of the many free online aps to keep your PC clock set to the correct time. I use Dimension 4 which is available at :

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/download.htm

Add me to the list of ham who recommend N1MM+ contest logging software. It's free and is regularly updated to reflect contest rules changes and adding new contests. If N1MM is your first jump into logging software it can be a little overwhelming. Fortunately there are some good tutorial videos on the N1MM website:

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/support/how-to-videos/

However, for some contests I prefer N3FJP contest logs (Field Day, State QSO Parties, November Sweepstakes). They are not free, but are reasonably priced. I have been using N3FJP general log for years and bought the entire suite of logs years ago and it has saved me quite a bit of $$. After every contest I import the ADIF contest log in to my N3FJP log, so all of my QSO's whether contest or not, can be found in on PC log. Saves time responding to QSL requests. You don't have to search through a dozen contest log files looking for the QSO. For just about every other contest I use N1MM+.

N3FJP logs can be found at:

https://www.n3fjp.com/aclog.html

See you in contests soon.

15. WD5JTZ

yes, you hit it on the head. I bought a n3jfp AFTER the WFD, not knowing any better, and had to correct all 164 times. I didn't understand that exact freq are no more just general band. Working with it after the fact, I thought about buying another....BUT, I have downloaded the N1mm and you said whats my problem right now....work with it. But, I like that fact it does more...what that is is yet to be read!!!!, but for general qso party for la. coming up...I need to read more. Thanks.