ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham Radio - Max Gain Systems 32 ft. push up mast, quick look.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Feb 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - Max Gain Systems 32 ft. push up mast, quick look.

N5DWE, WP4QWH, AC6EG and 10 others like this.
  2. NG6X

NG6X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are their guy rings?

3. WM1A

WM1A Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K2GK

K2GK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like Kevin is doing fine in the warm and dry climate.
    Excellent video as usual.

KD2FKV likes this.
  5. KB9RLW

KB9RLW Ham Member QRZ Page

They do sell guy rings for it, but I just tied my paracord around the tubes themselves just above the clamps. I'll only be putting it up for a few weeks at a time as I move around changing locations, so just one less thing to fiddle with.

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahem...

On their website, MGS shows there are guy rings available, but they're accessories.

I don't recall KB9RLW mentioning guy rings in the video.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    VE6MRV, N2EY, AC2MB and 9 others like this.
  7. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently acquired the 42ft 'Extended' version of this mast to replace a tree that recently came down. With the 42" Heavy Duty version, the bottom pipe is 2.5" in diameter, and each section is 72" long. I have a steel pipe in concrete that the 2.5" base of the mast slots right into. It is guyed in three directions, and it is quite stable. I placed it right beside the house in the back garden. If it fell on the house, it would do so with very little velocity (and given its light weight shouldn't do any damage); and if it fell in any other direction, it would land on grass.

My antenna is not as high as with the tree, but I didn't want to go any taller with anything given that I cannot get more than 60ft from power lines in three directions.

KO0KY and NU4R like this.
  8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 38 foot HD mast. It's been up for a few years now. I have two ranks of guys in three directions, and it works great. There's a Diamond X-50 on top and a 60/30/15 dipole attached at the top rank of guy rings at the bottom of the top section.

What I don't like about them is that the fiberglass tubes can't withstand the clamping force necessary to keep the sections from sliding down over time. So, it's helpful to add steel inserts in the bottom foot of each hollow tube so the section below it can clamp down hard enough to prevent sliding. Other options include using a gripper material on the outside of the bottom of each tube that gets clamped on, but I prefer the inserts.

Another thing I don't like is having to get up on a ladder to push it up. It's awkward and a little dangerous. The military masts are easier since they have 4 foot sections and are easily managed while standing on the ground, inserting more sections in the bottom as you push it up (with guying help of course).

Here's a pic. You can kinda make out my military mast in the background as well.

[​IMG]

K8JHR, K3RW, KD4UWD and 1 other person like this.
  9. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is going on my WISH LIST for sure.. Looks like the masts are made of very good material.

10. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 of these push up mast. They are about 2 years old now, no problems.

One set of 3 way guys, about 26 feet tall.

NU4R likes this.
  11. AF7ZA

AF7ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great pictures. I'd really like to know source & dimensions of your steel inserts. Steel tubing of various sizes ? Do you think Alum. would work if correct sizes ? 73

AK5B likes this.
  12. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

You just need a metal tube of some kind with an OD equal to the ID of each fiberglass tube. Each fiberglass tube has an ID that is 1/4" less than its OD.

So, in the HD38 for example, if your bottom section is 2.5" OD, than means the ID is 2 1/4", which matches the OD of the section above it. So for the second section up (the first one that needs a sleeve) you need a 2" OD tube. Then progressively 1/4" less as you move up the mast.

2", 1 3/4", 1 1/2", 1 1/4, and 1". You do not need a sleeve in the top section because it is solid.

You can get 6061 aluminum in an 0.065 wall thickness (which is plenty) here:

https://www.metalsdepot.com/aluminum-products/aluminum-round-tube

I got some surplus steel tube from work for mine. The thing with metal tube is that if it has a seam on the outside you'll have to finish it off to get a good fit.

AK5B likes this.
  13. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Going with a steel or aluminum mast, it might not be the worst idea to make the top section fiberglass. This would simplify installing certain antennas.

K8JHR likes this.
  14. AF7ZA

AF7ZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Frederick (Fred?). PS19

W2JKT likes this.
  15. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see shipping to 98683 on the FedEx home delivery option is sub-$40. I've been looking locally for masts since shipping is often more than the cost of them.

At least these can go higher, weigh less, and actually support a little weight, rather than being an overgrown fishing pole!