ad: elecraft

Joe Spier, K6WAO, resigns as AMSAT President

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe Spier, K6WAO, resigns as AMSAT President

Joe Spier, K6WAO, has tendered his resignation as AMSAT President, citing personal reasons.
    Spier had served as AMSAT's President since October 2017. Prior to his tenure as President, Spier served as AMSAT's Executive Vice President and Vice President - Educational Relations. He also served as an AMSAT News Service Editor and as a member of the ARISS Education Team.

Under the AMSAT bylaws, Executive Vice President Paul Stoetzer, N8HM, assumes the office of President until the next meeting of the Board of Directors.

Stoetzer said "I want to thank Joe for his many years of service to AMSAT in a variety of roles. I especially want to recognize his efforts to mark AMSAT's 50th Anniversary with special events at the Dayton Hamvention and AMSAT Symposium. His leadership in bringing together a variety of figures from the history of amateur radio in space in Arlington, VA this past fall helped to make the Symposium a very special event."

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/february/joe-spier-k6wao-resigns-as-amsat-president.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe was a positive role and face for AMSAT. Lessons to be learned from that!

I am very concerned about the churnings of leadership in ham radio at a time when we are under attack.

Our 'hobby' is being picked away under the rubric of 'service', or voids within said 'service'. And yes, that is happening on small sats, too.

Time for all hams to watch the old MOVIE: 'Twelve O'Clock High' ....again. Life lessons abound in that, with ironic application to today.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    KE5ES, KA2FIR, W4ABC and 1 other person like this.
  3. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate erudition, but I sorta, kinda doubt "rubric" is the most appropriate locution you could employ to express your point. Perhaps you could restate your position in more prosaic terminology, making it easier to understand, as I am confident you offer a worthwhile take. Sometimes haste makes waste, compressing too much content into too few words, and it would help if you more fully explained what you mean to say. Again, while I am confident you have something good to say, you sorta miss the mark.

Just saying - K8JHR
    ----------------------------------

rubric (noun)

1 a title, heading, direction, or the like, in a manuscript, book, statute, etc., written or printed in red or otherwise distinguished from the rest of the text.

2 a direction for the conduct of divine service or the administration of the sacraments, inserted in liturgical books.

3 any established mode of conduct or procedure; protocol.

4 an explanatory comment; gloss.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

HUH???? Just how does one " express your point... restate your position in more prosaic terminology..." while QUOTING an article?

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/february/joe-spier-k6wao-resigns-as-amsat-president.htm

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, since I am obviously illiterate by your analysis, kindly express my opinion for me ;-)

NN1C, K7ART, KT5OT and 1 other person like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Taking a stab at K8JHR's request....

blah blah blah blah... heading...blah blah blah.

Think that corrects it!

KA0HCP and KT5OT like this.
  7. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Our 'hobby' is being picked away" by
    blah blah blah blah... heading...blah blah blah

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the reply. Apparently that is the best you can do. More to the point, the inability to actually communicate one's message is what "picks away at the hobby. " I am sorry I expected more from you. K8JHR

AF4RK likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Life is full of disappointments, as the situation with the AMSAT President so clearly evinces.

I always got that on my report card: 'did not achieve my expectations'. And yet....

Perhaps in another year the magic '65' button will provide you that wisdom.

KT5OT likes this.
  9. K5SOP

K5SOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Arrogant - adjective, having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
    "he's arrogant and opinionated"
    Example: K8HJR

K1WAZ and KE5ES like this.
  10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

That escalated quickly...

KB2HSH, N3ABJ, N1TGE and 4 others like this.
  11. K5SOP

K5SOP Ham Member QRZ Page

"WOW" Missed that one, correction, K8JHR

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

GREAT GUY CATEGORY

Joe Spier K6WAO

OBJECTIVE CATEGORY

Wish him well...

---------------------------------------------------------

That sums it up.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    WA4SCA likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

14. KX4QC

KX4QC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, we should eschew obfuscation. However:
    <rant> Did we somewhere, in the generosity of spirit for which amateur radio is justly famed, forget "to thank Joe for his many years of service to AMSAT in a variety of roles..." He worked long and hard for us, and like many, did not win every battle but tried.
    Here's one vote for a "Thank you, Joe and much appreciated" </rant>
    Does he really deserve a 'Bah! Humbug!'?

W1YW likes this.
  15. KC2G

KC2G Ham Member QRZ Page

And perhaps you could learn the rudiments of the English language before taking part in a public forum. Or perhaps you know exactly what was intended, and you're just taking the opportunity to be a useless, disingenuous waste of everyone else's time.

GM4JPZ and ND6M like this.