ad: M2Ant-1

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The focus( one of several focii ---of Part 97--- ) IS "advancing the radio art".

The ARRL actively participates in that, especially, but not exclusively, through its yearly conference with TAPR.

Man, sometimes we globally forget who we are and our 'raison d'etre'.... ;-)

K8XG and K0UO like this.
  2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Reality check: Ham radio is an annoying gnat as far as the FCC is concerned. They have much bigger fish to fry than to worry about what some yahoos on 7.200 are saying or someone reminiscing about the good old days on a SSB net.

WA8FOZ, KC0KEK, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing forgotten. "One among many". Advancing the art should NOT be THE FOCUS of the ARRL. I believe the ARRL is already supportive of new modes and technology.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Focus Conan--focus!

[​IMG]

K0UO likes this.
  5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

We promote international goodwill.

K0UO and W1YW like this.
  6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The original one of these is just up the street here in Clearwater. Just thought I'd throw that in.

................Bob

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

His job is to make sure that the light bill gets paid until the new guy gets there. It sounds like he's a longtime staffer, and I'm sure he'll do fine in that role. At some point, he got his Tech license, which is nice, but wasn't absolutely necessary.

KC2EMH likes this.
  8. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

The key phrase above is "large sums of money." The AOPA has about 2 1/2 times as many members, with comparable dues.

Another significant snag to the suggestion that the ARRL become like the AOPA is that the AOPA is 501(c)(4) and the ARRL is 501(c)(3):

https://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AOPA/Home/About-AOPA/Governance/AOPA-Governance-Page/2018_AOPA_Form-990_Public-Inspection-Copy.pdf

The differences are subtle, but are summarized in a Usenet article thread of mine several years back:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.radio.amateur.moderated/6E18yQ7HuQ4/ip3T79a5cB4J

When I brought up the subject with K1ZZ on one of the ARRL forums, he replied that the ARRL, being a 501(c)(3) organization cannot create a 501(c)(4) organization:

http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/281

73, Paul, K3FU

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    WN1MB likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are NOT culturally disadvantaged ;-)!

K8XG likes this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the FCC has an Amateur Radio Service as a title of organizing RF functions. The FCC provides services to us amateurs the spectrum users.

Corollary:
    Every hospital has a Maternity Service and Surgical Service. That doesn't mean that pregnant women or people with appendicitis do things for the hospital or town!!!

N0DZQ likes this.
  11. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

AB4KA likes this.
  12. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Think about the point that I was trying to make:

If the league had been managed correctly and directed correctly by the Board over the last 50 years it would have mirrored what other professional organizations like EAA and AOPA, have done for their membership. And we wouldn't be having this discussion!!!

There would be more money in the ARRL war chest and we would have Professional Management that are truly involved in the Hobby/service and that have a passion for the hobby.

The appointed temporary CEO has worked for the league for 28 years as CFO and only has a technician license, I guess he doesn't feel passionate enough to get involved and upgrade himself even though his salary has been coming from the membership. QRZ people are looking at his QRZ page, over 400 hits in the past 24 hours he only had 1900 total when I checked 24hrs ago!!

The ARRL is the one that supported incentive licensing, so I think their leadership should at least upgrade and honor that position. But maybe they're waiting on a bonus to do that!!!
    50 years ago they set up the 501(c)(3) organization wrong and never changed it, which it can be done, you state it can not create a 501(c)(4) organization. I have seen it done by other groups, The EAA, I think was one. But they have to want to change, maybe we need a NEW ARRL Board to start with.
    I talked to two former Section Managers today and they both had a belly full of League politics, in particular the Board.
    The Section Managers do all the work in the field for the League, and they also have to take all the crap. Talk about a job that would suck!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AB4KA likes this.
  14. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How?

15. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? I've spent the past 22 years in telecom, and the few times ham radio has come up is when someone finds out someone else is a ham. The ham discussion that follows is brief before returning to something telecom-related.

K1OIK likes this.