ad: ProAudio-1

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Many would just carry on as 'freebanders'.

WG7X, N0DZQ and K0UO like this.
  2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

What is this "clout"? That's what I'm trying to get at with these questions.

You say it's a service. Next time we need to apply some pressure, could we do that by threatening to withdraw our services for a while?

I just don't get what happens if the giant wakes up.

KC0KEK likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep I get that you don't see it.

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Well ... since you won't, maybe someone else will explain how the amateur community is a sleeping giant with lots of clout who just need to execute the mission.

Then I can feel silly for missing the obvious.

WG7X and KC0KEK like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd love to see you debate Dr. Jordan Peterson on that.

6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would like to see this too. What "service" does Amateur Radio provide? Now, I did a LOT of NTS "service" in years past. First licensed in 1970, sending those messages across the country WAS a service. I read somewhere that the ARRL does not even run the NTS anymore?? I don't know. In this day and age, sending a message by ham radio across the country is far from the most efficient way to do that.

EMCOMM? There IS a role for that, though a very narrow one that is infrequently needed.

Technology moves forward and it's making traditional ham radio nothing more than a hobby . . . the "service" aspect has run its course.

Holding on to any "service" argument for maintaining ham radio is living in the past. We simply need to accept that and move away from "service" and back into innovation through technology. When I see "Ham Radio Saves Lives" I'm usually thinking, "really?" Who are we kidding?

We need to move the hobby into innovating means of using technology to advance communication. What that is I don't know.

But it AIN'T EMCOMM and NTS anymore. That horse has blown the coop long ago.

................Bob

WG7X, N0DZQ, K0UO and 3 others like this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

More accurately, it’s a hobby with a nexus to an occasional possibility of a few hams “serving” some greater purpose.

But your version does sound more impressive.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to W7UUU for the 'merge'..

Appreciate your efforts here Dave:)

This IS important 'news'....

Chip W1YW

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thread merge situation has been solved.

Thanks Chip for pointing it out. All fixed.

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO and W1YW like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't see how an interim CEO that never gets on the air can serve the interests of the amateur community.

11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He's familiar enough with the ARRL operations to keep things running while they look for a permanent CEO. Someone has to do it. Who else would you suggest for interim ?

What we ought to be focused on, instead of the interim, is getting a permanent CEO who will actually last more than a few years. Seems to me that the job is a juggling act, with a lot of issues to deal with, in a period of transition, but at fairly low pay for a corporation of that size. And it cannot just settle for maintaining the status quo when there's so much at stake for ensuring a future. Someone who can see through the various initiatives that have already been started. Yes there is a need for business management, but the CEO also has to be a leader and therefore be someone who can be respected by the membership and the ARRL staff alike.

That could all point to promoting someone from within, or at least someone well known to the ARRL heirarchy and the Board, and someone who has a committment to the hobby (service). And someone young enough to give the ARRL some stability for awhile.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    KC2EMH, N0NB and K0UO like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good choice!

The real question is whether Fred wants to move to a new QTH (Newington area) where the distinct cultural advantage is a nearby HOOTERS....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    W4CLL, W1TRY, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  13. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It shouldn't be too hard to find someone with a 3 year life expectancy. ;)

K0UO and W1YW like this.
  14. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither is HF Voice, or CW, or QSL cards. But then this is a hobby, not a research group. No, the focus of the ARRL should NOT be advancing communications.

15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not the focus, but that should be part of the mix.