ad: UR5CDX-1

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure thing.

If the 'National Association of Amateur Radio'--ARRL's 'other' name-- fails to secure sufficient number of Part 97 licensees, then its credibility with being involved with spectrum 'defense' fails.

Of course, it can also fail by not having the right plan, which is the situation we are presently in.

Your enjoyment may evaporate when you have none of your in-use spectrum allocation in the future.

The CEO is the point man or woman for making the numbers and defense happen (amongst other things).

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    K8XG likes this.
  2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the government really wanted to reduce or completely eliminate ham spectrum they sure as hell wouldn't stop just because a private organization didn't like it.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they did. Kindly read up on your history.

Don't underestimate the sleeping giant: 800,000 operator licensees is the biggest --licensed--radio service by numbers.

Time to awaken the sleeping giant.

K8XG likes this.
  4. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

The sleeper must awaken.

K8XG and W1YW like this.
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know I can be quite cynical at times, I do wonder what percentage of that 800,000 would care if all of a sudden amateur radio ceased to exist.

K1OIK likes this.
  6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL is not the right place for someone accustomed to the ultra-structure of the military. There's a lot of talent and experience in Newington, but it's going to take someone who's not afraid to hear the truths from everyone, not just pre-filtered information from immediate subordinates. It's much too small an organization for either a Fortune 500 or military hierarchy.

Nor do I believe that the research firm hired to determine how to improve the organization should have used the organization's own employees to provide the answers. Imagine that, new CEO with military background and unknown personality combined with "So what would you do to improve the ARRL?" Not a very comfortable scenario for participating employees.

A successful CEO at the ARRL needs to encourage free communication and seek answers from the membership: current, former, and potential.

N0NB, WB1GCM and W1YW like this.
  7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you really think that the number of licensees implies much influence?

And do what?

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can tell you that I have been in cocktail conversations where it has been stated that many in the telecom sector are surprised at ham radio's own absence of self-awareness in terms of its numbers and --unrealized-- clout.

Yes. I think there is a strength there we are incapable of mustering at present.

Do what?

Execute mission of Part 97 with allocations commensurate with that mission and our numbers.

Kind of obvious if you read the beginning of Part 97 ;-)

W0PV likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There lies the problem. But your point is certainly valid!

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

11. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an easy answer but I don't think it says anything very useful. I assume you're talking about the "Basis and purpose" section.

"Contribute to the advancement of the radio art" sounds good but most of us are not professional engineers so we're unlikely to achieve much there. When was the last time ham radio really contributed anything to the radio "art"? I don't think that's being negative, just realistic.

Emergency communications is still a thing but dwindling.

I don't really get what you think we need to do to "Execute the mission".

KA0HCP likes this.
  12. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How has that apply method worked out?
    Maybe the recruit method might be better?
    I wonder if Apple, Intel, Microsoft posted an added under "Help wanted" or did they seek out leaders?
    I bet if you got an offer you couldn't refuse, you wouldn't.
    If anyone has any doubt you are qualified they ought just look at your profile page.
    You seem to connect with hams, respond to hams and don't take any crap
    The old man CEO hasn't worked too well lately, maybe the best man for the job isn't a man.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How did that parity bill work out?

14. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s one of the fundamental disconnects between the majority of hams who see this as a hobby and those who think we are on some “mission” to accomplish.

Maybe that’s a reason the League has a 20% rate of interest among hams. We like to work DX, chase awards, talk with friends via radio, experiment with antennas, build stuff, etc...

The term “mission” is largely irrelevant to hams and appears only in regulatory preamble language.

If it’s a reference to a mission to protect spectrum, my understanding is the IARU is the principle entity of which the ARRL is a small part.

WG7X and W1YW like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have an opinion ('think') on that. It's defined in Part 97. That tells you what to expect as a Part 97 licensee, and what is expected of Part 97 licensees.

Nothing wrong with the hobby aspect. Just remember its not a 'hobby'. It's a service, which has a hobby component.