ad: AbAuRe-1

New rig from LZ2JR:

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AE5X, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  2. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The price of 799 euros seems to put it within $100 of the IC-7300 and the Icom is light years ahead of this backyard assembled radio. I don't see it gaining any traction in the market. With the Yaesu FT-891 available for $550 with very nice DSP filtering, compact size, 100W, and 6 meters... this becomes a real tough sell for anyone that has to pay real money for it.....

also for backyard assembled radios with minimal manufacturing/warranty support, it will be very hard sell at that price .... By comparison one can pay have and get the $450 Xiegu G90 now shipping for half the price a- 20W pep, internal antenna tuner, SDR based, firmware upgradeable....

This seems to remind me of the TenTec Argosy series with the 50W output. Those go for around $200 these days.

I don't see the value proposition on this one.

M1WML likes this.
  3. OK1RP

Hi all,
    Many thanks for your interest in the RGO ONE.
    In fact the most important is to understand the differences in performance during the radios comparison.

For example:
    The FT-891 has BDR for closed sigs (2kHz) at 70dB, IC-7300 is at around 81-84dB (no IP+) while RGO is measured close to 100dB (99dB/96dB for preamp off/on) for 2kHz spaced sigs.
    The FT-891 current consumption in RX is 2A, IC-7300 is over 1A while RGO has it 0.6A in RX mode only.

The RGO ONE is using 8+4 poles xtals filters in cascade with BW as low as 200Hz on IF stage...
    Extremely low noise floor, high blocking dynamic range, smooth and quiet QSK (do you know some click less full QSK radio from big three or from China?) , top-notch ergonomics, heavy-duty cycle operation, clean audio makes the RGO ONE non-comparable with radios like 891, 7300, Xiegu and ranks it in a higher category.

Modular concept allows users to installing just needed options, it is fully upgradeable in hardware as same as firmware easily of course.

I can confirm that manufacturing/warranty support as same as communication with Boris, LZ2JR is outstanding. (compare it to big three or Chinese stuffs. Did you ever heard feedback from developers or CEO from Yeasu, Kenwood, Icom or Xiegu etc.? ...)

If you do not need the high performance receiver and you prefer the multicolor display, digital features and you accept the high consumption as you will never use it outside then go to 891/7300 etc. If you are focusing for high performance receiver to survive on crowded band with low noise floor and clean audio, low consumption in compact package (2.6kg) then RGO ONE is right one for you.
    In the end you will realize that you paid much less than class higher radios.

Best regards,
    73 - Petr, OK1RP

M1WML, N4PAJ, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  4. OK1RP

If you will listen to the video carefully then you can realize how quiet and noise-less the receiver in RGO is... I like it.
    73 - Petr, OK1RP

M1WML likes this.
  5. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bulgaria, Lima Zulu land - home of Acom amps and now this high performance transceiver. Also great contest stations LZ5R and LZ9W. And some very, very nice hams who I met on one of my visits to Plovdiv in 2007. Impressive ops.
    For some unexplained reason, in a contest if I call a LZ or a 9A1 station they get me on the first call, every single time.

N2AMM, M1WML, K8ZFJ and 2 others like this.
  6. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still seems like a mismatch to me, Petr. -- backward looking 30 years ago technology, low power output.. I am sure the receiver is quiet, but then if I am in field portable operating I am not putting it onto a 4 element monoband yagi but rather a dipole etc or some other portable antenna and the need for high performance receiver is unnecessary on such a simple and likely high Q antenna. Again, if portable I do care about current consumption, but difference between 0.6A and 2A inside my shack if I AM using the big antenna to enjoy the reciever benefit becomes meaningless when hooked to a AC mains power supply. I know I can get service from multiple service centers in USA, Germany, Japan, if I buy from bigger manufacturer.... From Chinese maker, if it breaks i am only losing $399 ..... and I don't worry and buy a new one. Listening to the AGC thump and pump on this gives me a headache...
    Silent QSK is very nice, but TenTec had this decades ago. Even the inexpensive IC-7300 is not too loud with relay clicking along with some very simple modification. And in the field, who cares because I'm wearing headphones... can not even hear the click.

As a business person, unless price is $450 or less, I do not see selling many of this product. Maybe 25 to 50 pieces ? It's a unicorn radio.

M1WML likes this.
  7. OK1RP

8. OK1RP

Joe,

Thanks for your comment. Even although the mass-production is not started yet, the first LOT of pre-production is depleted... the second lot of 20pcs is coming to be available soon.

73 - Petr

M1WML likes this.
  9. OK1RP

M1WML likes this.
  10. OK1RP

Hello,

latest firmware revision is available to upload on your RGO ONE transceiver.

OK1RP - Ham radio in Renaissance...: Latest fw revision 2.20A for RGO ONE is now available
    http://lz2jr.com/blog/index.php/new-firmware-2-20a-available/

This version includes some improvements in MB and FP microprocessors clock rate, speed and correct timing.
    Setting proper clock rate for MB processor. (Clock frequency away from HAM bands). Main board microprocessor clock can be heard near 20m band (actually image signal) like “crackling wideband noise”. With this version MB clock rate is adjusted little lower so not to disturb 20m reception.
    Added MENU 81 – FCAL2 correction coefficient (coarse calibration) for SI570 VCO chip. If your RGO ONE is calibrated without FCAL2 then parameter value of MENU 81 would be zero. Low pass filters (LPF) in PA module now are switched only on TX and disabled on RX. This is part of a LARGE SIGNAL HANDLING MOD. Along with added pull down resistor in LPF board, this mod significantly improves RX dynamic range and LW/MW BCI immunity.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

M1WML likes this.
  11. KK7SS

KK7SS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Petr,

Any update or news about the Noise Blanker option?
    Local Noise is usually about S6-S8 (I'm in the middle of town 30 Meters from main highway!)

73 Dave, KK7SS