ad: Sussex-1

FT8 used for record-breaking 432 MHz contacts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 used for record-breaking 432 MHz contacts

On Saturday morning, Dec 28, there were at least two record-breaking 432 MHz contacts of 4163 km and then 4544 km using the popular digital mode FT8

The Netherlands Ham News service reported that at 0900 GMT on Saturday, December 28 a troposcatter contact was made between D41CV on the Cape Verde islands and EI3KD in Carrigaline, County Cork, Eire over a distance of 4163 kilometers using FT8.

This was followed by tweet from the @DC4_team that at 1108 GMT on December 28 GM3SEK successfully completed a 4544 km 432 MHz FT8 contact with D41CV
    https://twitter.com/D4C_team/status/1210885272214355969

Read the Ham News story in Google English at
    https://tinyurl.com/NetherlandsHamNews

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/december/ft8-used-for-record-breaking-432-mhz-contacts.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K7RMJ, KE4YMX, PE1KWE and 2 others like this.
  2. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 Isnt radio. Its computers, period. Nothing to see here

VK6APZ/SK2022, AC2FO, KD0WGB and 2 others like this.
  3. KB3VQL

KB3VQL Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-8 is radio. Yes a computer is utilized, but you can't make the contact without a radio and antenna.

W2VW, W4IOA, W9FL and 6 others like this.
  4. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no idea of what FT8 mode is, other than a few articles I've read. But it is something to see how digital tech has given new understandings in so many fields.

I think it's only the beginning of a new era. It's in everything. Cheap, accurate, UN-attended control. Control without being there. This will be needed with social media lifestyles.

All joking aside, It's letting us assess and add to our fundamental concepts. And allowing for what once was thought to be impossible.

Cloned solid state devices for instance. Or the length restriction on emission nullified. Or cheap generators, variable sweep, from DC to X-ray.

That's just a few examples on a ham site. It's in all fields.......we now know how the pyramids were built. And it was not magic. Or magic forces or magic machines. It was done with engineering. Solving real problems.

Even us non using old timers benefit from it.

N2EY and G3SEA like this.
  5. W3KIT

W3KIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, please. But you are correct, FT8 is not a radio, it is a MODE. Yaesu FTDX-3000D IS a radio, Kenwood TS-590SG IS a radio :D

Operator with 135 feet rotatable Rohn 55 tower top with 3 elements 75 meter beam and backing it up with a 1.5 gallon of power often saying FT8 or "Insert mode here" is not Ham Radio.

How many operators do you think are using Digital pre-recoreded CW keyer or or decoder during CQWW? A contest station came back to my CQ as "DE #1### 599 TU". Was that a "radio"?

How many RTTY big contest stations were not using a computer during the RTTY Roundup nowadays? How many are still using RTTY equipment from the 70s today?

Hey, I am poor, I can't afford Kobe Beef steak. I am hungry, in my kitchen only have a bowl of steam rice sprinkled with some salt. Well, sir that is food to me and I will eat it.

Although some people may say steam rice with salt IS NOT food :D

My choices are eat it or stay hungry. Your choice is?

If a "mode" developed and legal - "I" will use it.

73, Kit

KC8YJJ, VE9NC, KI5AIU and 13 others like this.
  6. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well put Kit.
    73, good DX

NA1S likes this.
  7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see digital records separated from traditional, manual skills records. Comparing my CW 1000 miles per watt with FT8 36,000,000 miles per watt is apples and oranges.

AC2FO, KD0WGB, KB3RHR and 2 others like this.
  8. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-8?..2 computers saying they see each other lol.

KD0WGB, KE9OL and (deleted member) like this.
  9. W3KIT

Let me fix that for you :D

FT-8?..2 computers saying they see each other using 2 radios and 2 antennas.

2 computers are useless without radios and antennas regardless of what MODE. Some people are refusing to get it.

Excuse me while I am making some "contacts" while some are staring at the S-Meter and listening to the noise floor waiting for Cycle 25th.

License earned, equipment bought might as well use it for "something".

73 and HNY, Kit :D

W9FL, K2DJ, RZ1O and 3 others like this.
  10. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

LET ME FIX THAT FOR YOU. :D

WHAT SOME PEOPLE REFUSE TO GET IS THAT A NEW MODE, SIMPLY BECAUSE IT EXISTS, CANNOT JUST BE INCLUDED IN LONG STANDING AWARD STRUCTURES WHICH TAKE YEARS OF HARD WORK AND PATIENCE TO COMPLETE. EVERY AWARD ON THE PLANET IN WEEKS, DAYS, HOURS, AND AUTOMATICALLY? THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE DO NOT WANT. IT NEGATES PART OF THE HOBBY BY THE LAW OF UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. (AND NO, CW MACROS ETC. ARE NOT AUTOMATIC)

TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY WE ARE ACCUSED OF WANTING TO HALT PROGRESS ETC. THAT'S THE JOKE. (ONE OF MANY) WE WANT NOTHING OF THE SORT.

HNY.

VK6APZ/SK2022, AC2FO, KD0WGB and 2 others like this.
  11. W3KIT

Oh, okay. I think I got it now. People think FT8 or other digital modes are "easy mode". I get that. I don't have a problem with that FT8 are not eligible for any award.

I am not in the hobby for the awards, if they are there and are allowed to get it. I will get it, if not that is okay too.

Back in the day when CW was slowly removed from the requirement. I can see many old timers got bent out of shape simply because they "have" to do the 20 wpm and the new waves of Hams do not have to. Therefor they are not the real Ham. I never saw it that way. I am okay with that, more people to make the contacts to. For the record I had to do the 20 wpm as well. That does not bother me.

What happen when all of the old timers went SK and or so old that do not have the energy to lift the mic to talk any longer. No more people to make the contacts. What will happen to the old timers that still kicking? Sell off the equipment (if any one want it and have no one to talk to) or quit the hobby and pick up the knitting as a new hobby.

I guess many are in the hobby for the award and fame, I can't blame them tho. Award and fame are not the reason I pick Ham radio as a hobby.

73 :D

ND6M likes this.
  12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It's attitudes like this that make ham radio less and less relevant to new, younger folks. It's why large parts of this hobby are stuck in the 60s.

Sad.

K1XS, W2VW, W9FL and 4 others like this.
  13. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

No different than a new Novice in the 60's starting out with CW and moving to SSB, rather than AM. As the Novice upgrades to a General and works on DXCC on SSB, some old timer is going to "poo-poo" the achievement because it wasn't done the way he did it. Which was harder.

And that's terribly narrow minded thinking. Progress improves the methods. Spark to CW, AM to SSB, etc., etc. There were lots of things that were impossible until somebody did it.

But there will always be some OF who will look down on it I guess.

N2EY, W9FL, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  14. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

SEVEN AWARDS CLAIMED AND DISPLAYED ON YOUR QRZ PAGE? ;)

I FIGURE MOST OF US GOT INTO THE HOBBY FOR RELATIVELY THE SAME VARIED REASONS AND NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER. CERTAINLY HOPE NO ONE HOPES TO GET FAMOUS.

I LIKE TO TALK AND CHASE DX, AFTER HOWEVER LONG THE AWARDS JUST COME. IMAGINE THAT. :):cool:

FT8_4.png

W0ZS likes this.
  15. W3KIT

:D Just in case you missed it.

"I am not in the hobby for the awards, if they are there and are allowed to get it. I will get it, if not that is okay too."

The bottom line I do not care what award people are getting or not getting. I do not have any problem with that department.

The problem I have is when people are saying "XXX mode is not Ham Radio".

I rode 2003 road bike weighted 26lb and there is a guy in my group ride is riding 2019 road bike with 19 lb, did I tell him "You are not a cyclist" because I have to carried more weight then him? I don't think so.

Technology is there and if he have it, sure why not use it.

If I read between the line is not so much about what modes mode available to use, radio or not. IMHO it was all about "I had to do this to get that, therefore people have to do what I had to do".

Get on with the program/mode and enjoy the hobby. Welcome more new people, welcome new technologies and method of how we communicates via our radios.

Do not backward be thankful we have frequencies and mode to pick and choose to our liking as long as it legal.

People often say FT8 have no personality. DE W3KIT UR 59 73, DE W3KIT UR 599 TU or X1XXX W3KIT RR73 out of the 3 modes, which has a personality? :D

KA0HCP, K2NCC and N5XKG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.