ad: chuckmartin

Episode 25 of TX Factor Out Now-Featuring the New Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G0FGX, Dec 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G0FGX

G0FGX Ham Member QRZ Page

The TX Factor team are celebrating an important milestone with the release of the 25th Episode of the only UK TV show dedicated to amateur radio.

In this packed episode Bob G0FGX gets the authoritative lowdown on the new Elecraft K4 Transceiver from one of the team behind it, Eric Swartz, WA6HHQ.

Mike G1IAR tackles the subject that Brits like discussing the most, the weather! He finds out about the WQ Weather Radar by Weatherquest, the company founded by TV Meteorologist and radio amateur Jim Bacon, G3YLA.

With recent severe weather events in the UK and around the world we are reminded of how easily the infrastructure of our 21st century communications could be taken offline. There are also many other possible threats to the power grid, the internet and mobile networks that could pose a problem for emergency communications using repeaters that rely on those technologies. Mike and Bob took a trip to Southampton and Portsmouth to meet a team of radio amateurs who are working with their local emergency planning officer to make their repeaters resilient by using point to point rf links utilising off the shelf kit and they demonstrate how easily other repeater groups could adopt the same ideas.

DMR is now a widely used amateur radio mode, but one downside is the dreaded code-plug! The RFinder B1 is a rig that offers a world without code plugs or repeater lists and Bob talks to the guys that designed it.

No episode would be complete without the free to enter draw and there is a bumper prize pack to celebrate the 25th edition.

TX Factor is proudly sponsored by Martin Lynch and Sons and the RSGB. Episode 25 is viewable in stunning HD on all devices from smartphones to smart TV’s and is available at www.txfactor.co.uk where you will also find all our previous episodes. You can also search for TX Factor on You Tube.

Attached Files:

G0UUU and AK5B like this.
  2. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

04:31 Rfinder B1 - The positive : You don't have to learn Klingon to program it. The other : $999
    17:00 Elecraft history
    20:27 - 27:33 K4

3. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob's name tag says
    Hello My Name Is
    Inigo Montoya
    YOU KILLED MY FATHER
    PREPARE TO DIE
    W2CYK - Bob

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

The RFinder B1 is a spectacular all-up integrated machine. Worth the $$$. Wish I could justify getting one.

5. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was curious to see what this was about; a simple search revealed it is in reference to a quote taken from a 2009 Hollywood movie entitled "The Princess Bride." Popular culture strikes again...

6. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

K4, very nice radio but my goodness, have you seen the price? It needs roofing filters because the price is through the roof!

HB9HDC, K0UO and W3ATT like this.
  7. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They forgot the coffee maker! Wish I could afford it, maybe I'll live long enough to buy a used one!

K0UO likes this.
  8. NQ5M

NQ5M Ham Member QRZ Page

Original release date for the movie was 1987 ;) It's a cult classic. There's been talks of possibly remaking it, as there are few original ideas left in Hollywood. The fans are not amused.

9. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed this episode. Rfinder is really neat and makes it simple to find local repeaters.

K4.. very nice rig. Could be on my list. And I enjoyed hearing the story of Elecraft.

Thanks for sharing!

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure I'm going to live long enough to be able to use a K4, or as they keep coming out with extra different add-on things that is really driving the price up, I may be bankrupt before I get one on the air.$$$$$$$$$$$
    And now they're saying a lot of the add-ons will not be available till the end of next year 2020 or longer.

Even the hand microphone is an extra cost!!!!!!!
    And don't forget you need another $400 for an antenna tuner too$$$$

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  11. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why shouldn’t it cost extra? I’ve never gotten a free key for working CW when buying a new rig. ;)

W5NU likes this.
  12. K0UO

13. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

But what you don’t get is an Elecraft.

14. K0UO

That's what I'm trying to get, my K4D but I may die before I get it. In the meanwhile I'll be using a rig that cost half as much and getting enjoyment from it IC7610!!

15. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh . I cannot get excited about any rig from any manufacturer that does not actually exist. Like horse racing ... you cannot win the race unless you actually have a horse! ;-)

Of course this is just MY take ... your mileage and excitement may vary! K8JHR